Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I found something that actually WORKS

[ia...]

Hi Buddies, 

I'm excited to share that I reintroduced a supplement that seems to be helping. 

So many of us have struggled with the 'adrenaline' surges that we feel come up through our abdomen. During parts of my taper, it's like I can almost 'feel' the cortisol/adrenaline just pumping through me. Even after omitting caffeine and working on cutting sugar completely I still struggle with the adrenaline. Not only is it uncomfortable but it also perpetuates other hormonal imbalances especially in women. I suspect the adrenaline/cortisol production also is affecting androgens/increased testosterone which is making my hair fall out. 

About a week ago I was going through my 'tea' box where I keep all our herbal teas. I decided to try 'Kava' again, and was AMAZED that after taking it within one hour the adrenal surges COMPLETELY subsided. I can take it during the day without getting drowsy and take it at night to help calm my nerves. HIGHLY recommend this supplement based on my experience. Also started taking passionflower and will share more on that in the future. Hope this reaches one or more of you and helps you along your journey.

• Like 3

I'm excited for you that kava is working.  You are lucky!

Just a few months ago, I tried kava and woke up the next day with awful hives that worsened and worsened, and I was miserable for about two weeks with extremely itchy and burning hives on my head and upper body.  

There's this thing called a kava dermopathy and it's pretty common.  I hope you continue to tolerate it well.🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Just a few months ago, I tried kava and woke up the next day with awful hives that worsened and worsened, and I was miserable for about two weeks with extremely itchy and burning hives on my head and upper body.  

There's this thing called a kava dermopathy and it's pretty common.  I hope you continue to tolerate it well.🙂

Aww man! I'm so sorry to hear that. Well.. it's really interesting you say that because... my ear RANDOMLY started itching yesterday. Not terrible, but just a new sensation that has never been there before. I wonder if I'm having a small reaction. I will need to keep an eye on it. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and I'm SO sorry that you broke out in hives- ARGH! Sometimes we just cannot catch a break! Have you had luck with other suppliments? 

• Like 3

Thanks for this reminder. I’m going to go back and try Kava and passion flower. I’ve been using herbs for many years but you have to know when to use them especially if you have adrenal fatigue.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:04 PM, [[i...] said:

Aww man! I'm so sorry to hear that. Well.. it's really interesting you say that because... my ear RANDOMLY started itching yesterday. Not terrible, but just a new sensation that has never been there before. I wonder if I'm having a small reaction. I will need to keep an eye on it. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and I'm SO sorry that you broke out in hives- ARGH! Sometimes we just cannot catch a break! Have you had luck with other suppliments? 

I tried Kava before I found BB, and started a taper.  It made me feel so good, I had to find as much on it as I could.  What I read scared me off it, including possible liver damage.  I am sort of shy of supplements, although I take C, Zinc, Magnesium, Boron, and Collagen.  I also had tried Passionflower and it gave me a wopping migraine which I hadn't had one in a whole year or more.  We're all different I realize, but I've learned to do as much "homework" on anything I decide to consume.  I think getting hooked on C drove me to it, scared straight you might say :smitten:

I do believe in alternatives, and supplements, I just have to be careful ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 20:52, [[G...] said:

I've really investigated to the best of my ability, the Kava @glitter and my findings are very positive.  This guy is someone I find very knowledgable, plus I do believe he does his home-work on different foods, supplements etc.  I went ahead a bought a bottle of the extract Kava, in capsules and going to go ahead and try them.  I'll put the video below that made me feel secure in going for it as my insomnia is back and I am just hell on wheels when I don't get my rest.  I also read Kava is good for anxiety, so, I'll try it out as well :)

Do let me know if it is still going good for you with the Kava!  I did splurge a bit at our healthfood market, but I wanted, for health reasons, to get the best I could afford.  Thomas also talks about the studies that are run on Kava, with good outcomes.  Of course we know how there's always an opposite opinion, but if this can help me on those nights I cannot relax, not matter how much exercise or good nutrition I've eat ;) this may be the ticket.  I'm glad you posted about trying it because otherwise I wouldn't have explored further :) thank you much, Denise :smitten:by the way, Kava studies show it is probably not a liver-damager ;)

• Like 1

@[or...] I hope it works out for you.  After 2 episodes of that horrible rash, I trashed my kava, never to try it again.  I have a few things that help with sleep.  Have you ever tried L-theanine?  It has to be taken on an empty stomach since it's an amino acid.  It might be on the PAWS list, though.

• Like 1

I have tried the L-theanine for something, but I don't think it was sleep :idiot:  I do still have it so I could try again.  What type of Kava did you have, and what sort of price was it @[Gl...] if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, [[o...] said:

What type of Kava did you have, and what sort of price was it @[Gl...] if you don't mind me asking?

It was from NOW Foods; It was from Swanson's.  Gosh, I can't remember the price.  It was probably under $15

Well, L-theanine is on the PAWS list, but so is kava, but so is almost EVERYTHING.😉🙃

• Like 1

Well that's a pretty decent price and I do Love the NOW products!  The one I got I am really hoping will work for me and not cause me hives which I am prone to as well ( makes me itch to think about it) :2funny:  My capsule dose is 2 at about an hour before bed, but I'm only going to try one to see how that goes.  I'll let  you know.  Do you have environmental allergies like I do?  We've had tons of pollen lately, and the wind just makes it way worse, arggg :(

• Like 1

Be VERY VERY careful with supplements. I had to reinstate due to L theanine and chamomile strong tea. The problem is that they are gabaergic substances and induce gaba activity. The problem is that if you take it for a while and for some reason you  stop cold turkey they can bring symptoms back. The Benzocoallition.com site details very well the supplements of concern.

I know everybody reacts different but if it is in their list means most have problems. Unless it is an unbearable situation I would stay away of it. Go to the site . They have a very good info. Also Dr Jennifer and Ashton themselves are against supplements. 

Mice

• Like 3

Thank you for this @[mi...] I did here Thomas DeLauer on the Kava working on GABA so I will be careful using it only on nights, which are maybe one or 2 nights a week.  I don't seem to have addictive behaviors and I never think if something is good than more is better.  I will check out the site you mention as I don't think any of my supplements that I now take (not the Kava, just got that today) are addictive, that's my Zinc, C, Magnesium, boron (for bones) and collagen.  But again, I will check out your suggestion.  Thanks again :)  Never hurts to check things out as thoroughly as I can ;) Denise

Hi Friends, How is everyone doing? I thought I would share a supplement update and ask how others are doing with their respective supplements. I would love to hear from others - what are you taking for suppliments and can you tell the difference in taking them?

I've gotten lower on my taper, I've felt the need to revamp my eating habits a bit more, dial down the 'processed' foods even more and ramp up my supplements. I am almost completely on a whole food diet which has really helped the challenging gut issues that have become more challenging during the taper. Lots of inflammation in the gut with just a little sugar or chocolate here and there. It’s just not worth it. Every once and a great while, I’ll have a treat, but overall eating sugar and processed foods exacerbates my symptoms immensely.

Here are some supplements I've been taking consistently now for a couple weeks that have been helping me a bit (This is my experience. These may or may not work for others):

-Lemon balm - Has been a major contributor in helping to reduce anxiety. There's a significant difference in my anxiety when I don't take it. 

-Kava I'm still taking and have not had any issues. I take it in tea form at nighttime and really like the taste!

-Multi vitamin (Mary Ruth liquid organic/New Chapter Prenatal Women’s daily)

-Himalaya Brand, Gotu Kola (Known to help with Benzo induced hair loss. Just started taking this.)

-Turmeric to help with inflammation and pain from WDs 

-CoQ10

-Basic vitamin E, C, K, D, B complex, Omegas

-High dose magnesium (800 mg)< very helpful.

-All the biotin/collagin/etc to help regrow hair. 

Because I’ve tapered so slowly and not had many acute symptoms, I think I can ‘feel’ the delta or difference when I do not take the supplements – meaning, I can tell that they’re working for me. But IF I was in severe acute WD, there would be no way the suppliments would ‘touch’ or support ‘feeling better’. Hopefully that makes sense. Made another cut this week. Down to .06 mg. Getting close… I can see the finish line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Well that's a pretty decent price and I do Love the NOW products!  The one I got I am really hoping will work for me and not cause me hives which I am prone to as well ( makes me itch to think about it) :2funny:  My capsule dose is 2 at about an hour before bed, but I'm only going to try one to see how that goes.  I'll let  you know.  Do you have environmental allergies like I do?  We've had tons of pollen lately, and the wind just makes it way worse, arggg :(

I hope it works for you.  Kava was my first experience with hives.  It was a rough 2 weeks.  The first two times I tried kava, I had no reaction, but the 3rd time I got hives for 2 weeks.  I gave it a 4th try just to make sure, and it happened again.  

Yes, I have pollen allergies too.  I was once an Oregonian as well, and that's when my allergies were their absolute worst, ah, but it was worth it living in Oregon😍 I'm sorry you have environmental allergies too.

@[ia...] Good job eating so healthily.  I'm not doing that.  My appetite disappeared.

You are taking a lot of great supplements.  Lemon balm is about the only one on your list I'm taking other than magnesium.  

My recent favorite discovery is hawthorn berries (in capsule form).  It slows down my heart rate and knocks me out, so I can sleep, yay!

Congrats on your last cut! I'm happy for you being so close (and a little envious).

2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[ia...] Good job eating so healthily.  I'm not doing that.  My appetite disappeared.

You are taking a lot of great supplements.  Lemon balm is about the only one on your list I'm taking other than magnesium.  

My recent favorite discovery is hawthorn berries.  It slows down my heart rate and knocks me out, so I can sleep, yay!

Ooooh gut issues!  Can benzos really cause all this?   My gut is in trouble. 

Thank you! I have to say eating healthy has taken a new level of discipline. It's hard... some days my appetite is really robust and other days non-existent. 

I had not heard of hawthorn berries - that sounds REALLY helpful. I have a random question for you; relative to your taper, how much has your heart rate increased? I ask because my resting heart rate is about 50-60 beats per minute, but since tapering it's definitely increased some. Sometimes I have multiple beats, skipped beats etc. I've had this before so I'm not alarmed by it -it just comes and goes sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

I had not heard of hawthorn berries - that sounds REALLY helpful. I have a random question for you; relative to your taper, how much has your heart rate increased? I ask because my resting heart rate is about 50-60 beats per minute, but since tapering it's definitely increased some. Sometimes I have multiple beats, skipped beats etc. I've had this before so I'm not alarmed by it -it just comes and goes sometimes. 

I'm like you.  My HR was between 50 and 60. It's higher now, probably in the 70s.  My smartwatch is now dysfunctional, so I don't really keep track.  Do you use a smartwatch to keep track?  I'm relieved that some of the features on mine quit working because they were making me neurotic about things.😂 (Things like body battery and sleep quality)

Maybe I just got lucky with hawthorn berries.  I've never seen it listed as a sleep aid.

@[Gl...] I do have a fitbit, but l can also get a bit 'obsessive' for lack of a better word, around counting the beats per minute, so occasionally I will take it off my wrist and try to just do deep breathing. I think Im going to try the Hawthorn Berries. You may have gotten lucky - but I'm thinking it's totally worth a try! Are you able to get 5 hours per night? Or is your sleep more hit and miss? 

• Like 1

Same here!  I got obsessed with all the readings, so now I'm glad some of the features malfunctioned.😂

I feel grateful when get 3 hours of sleep, so getting 5 is rare.  How about you?   I hope you're getting at least 5 hours.  Insomnia is my worst symptom.

I didn't like the Kava, well, I did and I didn't, I admit I'm a little afraid of it and the liver warnings but I am pretty sure I would not use it often.  I am having race brain and insomnia though, last night I took my first capsules, I went ahead and took two and slept very good, 6 or 7 hours, at least.

But, today I got my big jug of Magnesium Oil, very low price for such a nice, big jug, 64 oz.  I plan to mix it with whatever is my fave body lotion (I change off and on) but right now it's Cera Ve.  I plan on doing baths, but sometimes too lazy to do the whole bath thing, and soak in Epsom Salt which is magnesium form.  But I'll put mag oil in my Cera Ve body and face cream, and smear that in, in the a.m. after shower, and at night before bed.  That way it's not greasy or oily.

Magnesium is excellent for nerve pain and I am having just a little of that so would like to see if the mag oil helps, plus my skin is like a lizards, LOL, if I don't keep it moisturized.  I do the water thing w/electorlytes but my skin is still dry, oh, and I do collagen, still dry skin :( argggg!  So I'll let  you gals know on the sleep thing as well because magnesium is very good to help with sleep, I've heard some seniors say on my forum for us oldie moldie's, LOL!! Denise

• Like 2

@[or...] Mag oil souns AMAZING! I didn't even know they made that!? Interestingly I take epsom salt/mag baths often. One thing I learned about the baths though is that it naturally detoxes me, the magnesium (i think*) draws out impurities ... which is GREAT, but I notice I tend to start WDs faster/more after a mag bath as the benzos are leaving my system more quickly. I know this sounds crazy... BUT I always have worse WD symptoms the next day after an epsom salt bath. But... It does help me sleep better (if I'm not doing a cut in recent proximity). Right now I'm just not sleeping at all, because I just did a cut. A big cut. I love your idea of mixing the max oil with the cera ve! I might have to get some! Is the idea that the mag will absorb in the skin and get into the blood stream? Let us know how quickly you feel the effects when using the mag oil. Exited to hear how it works for you! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

. Right now I'm just not sleeping at all, because I just did a cut. A big cut. I love your idea of mixing the max oil with the cera ve!

@[ia...] Are you able to get any hours of sleep at all?

Cera Ve is great.  When my skin got scaly in the winter because of the kava hives, it healed it.  I love it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, [[i...] said:

@[or...] Mag oil souns AMAZING! I didn't even know they made that!? Interestingly I take epsom salt/mag baths often. One thing I learned about the baths though is that it naturally detoxes me, the magnesium (i think*) draws out impurities ... which is GREAT, but I notice I tend to start WDs faster/more after a mag bath as the benzos are leaving my system more quickly. I know this sounds crazy... BUT I always have worse WD symptoms the next day after an epsom salt bath. But... It does help me sleep better (if I'm not doing a cut in recent proximity). Right now I'm just not sleeping at all, because I just did a cut. A big cut. I love your idea of mixing the max oil with the cera ve! I might have to get some! Is the idea that the mag will absorb in the skin and get into the blood stream? Let us know how quickly you feel the effects when using the mag oil. Exited to hear how it works for you! 

Hi audigirl, that's so interesting about the wd and I will have to pay attention to that!  I didn't try the oil yet as I want another jug of my Cera Ve to divide up in another container first.  I can pick that up today I'm thinking.  My Cera Ve I have now, I had already added Grape Seed Extract to.  My benzo-brain I guess is blocking why I got the Grape Seed Oil, at the moment, but it will come to me.  I was surprised to have some worse wd sxs lately even at same size taper which has been very good since my start date 5 months ago.  But I haven't taken any baths lately in my Epsom Salt.  My taper is just 3% every 2 weeks, give or take a day, but when I feel stable.

I like the sound of "drawing out impurities" as long as I can handle it, I'm all for that, but I do get a bit nervous having read other's experiences that haven't been so positive :wacko: One day at a time though ;) I found a 64 oz jug of Magnesium Chloride which I'm pretty sure is good stuff, read up a bit on.  Sometimes I'm like my own guinea pig.  Oh, found the jug on Amazon, by horbaach and says Therapeutic Grade on it.  I know we have to take our chances sometimes, but it had a few good reviews which sounded legit to me, not someone hired to write reviews ;)

I do think getting some things topically works better than orally but I was mainly thinking of nerve pain and/or definitely better relaxation for sleep.  Also, plain oils on my skin I don't like, they never seem to absorb, and will get on my clothing and bedding, so decided to add them to a moisturizer, see how that worked.  It works great, but I'm careful how much of the oil ratio is to my moisturizer ;)  So far I guessed right, but unfortunately didn't measure. 

Very nice meeting you here as I love Alternative therapies, into nutrition and exercise, believer, but very much into studying up on all I can about something, the good, bad and the ugly :) Denise (y):smitten:PS which reminded me, someone put a link, in this thread, I need to look up this a.m. as it was about Kava. I took it again last night, it helped me fall asleep but still had to get up once, and got 6 hours sleep. I did have my typical weird dream, not scary, just weird, but had those since I started tapering. It's funny how sometimes it takes a bit for me to remember I had a dream.  I did forget to mention I am so hoping your sleep issue goes away soon :( For me it messes up my day, of course, and if I go back to bed for a couple hours, it really feels good to lie down and sleep, but when I get up and around, I still lack energy, and definitely enthusiasm. Geesh, I wrote a book, sorry bout that :(

7 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[ia...] Are you able to get any hours of sleep at all?

Cera Ve is great.  When my skin got scaly in the winter because of the kava hives, it healed it.  I love it.

I haven't seen it actually remove the crepey skins, especially on my legs, but it absorbs very quickly, and my skin still feels soft at bedtimes.  Maybe as I keep using it, it may heal deeper layers, and show up more later!  As I mentioned to audigirl, I mix grapeseed extract in mine now, and going to try a mixture of the Cera Ve and my new jug of Mag oil.  I do drink just water except for one sparkling water for kind of a treat in the afternoon, well between meals. 

Super glad to hear how well your Cera Ve is working, and I think I've only been using mine for just under a month.  It was just sitting there, except for what I put on my face each day, then I quit being lazy and started using it on my whole bod ;)

• Like 1

Tried my new Mag Oil I mixed with Cera Ve, lastnight.  I think my sleep was helped, although I also did Kava.  I had the itchies this morning though, like hives but didn't get the welts.  I don't think I'll use it again, and just try the mag again, both this a.m. and before bed.  I had zero leg or foot cramps this a.m.  I usually have slight ones at least.  I also had zero burning, pain in usually my left toe last night while I was waiting to fall asleep, I usually get a little of that.  So it's possible the topical application of the Mag. helps even more than my daily capsules of mag (2xday).

Hope this helps someone else, and I'll keep you posted as I have only tried it one night so far ;) Denise

• Like 1