Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Deep(ish) Thoughts

[Je...]

I hope this is right place to post this ...

I got a GREAT lesson today, so I thought I'd share: Until something actually happens, there is a chance that it won't.

Here's today's story. My (much) better half walked into the kitchen this morning to pour our second cup of coffee and noticed there was water welling up through the flooring in the hallway. Uh, oh. My first thought was that one of us had spilled something, but then I couldn't see how that would be possible without either one of us noticing before. We both looked at the water, and it just kept coming up, even after we'd blotted it dry. We figured that it was probably a leak in the water line that we were fairly certain ran beneath the floor. (We've lived here less than a year, so nothing is absolutely certain ... fairly is about as close as we can get.)

In our minds we were already formulating our strategy: look under the house (if possible - it's kind of weird under there), don't use the bathroom near the kitchen, put down more towels, call the plumber after we get back from my appointment tomorrow, prepare to have the floor ripped up to access the pipes if we can't get to them under the house, and so forth. My husband was stressed but I decided that, OK, it would be an inconvenience, but that's all. It's not like there was a fountain spouting in the hallway. I just wasn't going to get worked up about it emotionally. (This time ... believe me, I can get worked up over a crooked picture.) But there is just too much going on that is already sucking up that energy. 

We proceeded to finish our coffee, have our morning "Coffee Chat" with the Universe, and do our daily meditation. We do a guided meditation, and it is amazing how the meditations always seem to be relevant to whatever is going on right now. I could feel myself becoming calmer and my nagging headache even subsided a bit.

I was ready to get the flashlight and look under the house when my husband called excitedly from the kitchen. A 2.5-gallon container of distilled water had developed a puncture and was leaking onto and underneath the floor in the pantry! That was it! No plumber. No tearing up the floor. We could use the bathroom. Huzzah!

So, my lesson was this: We see something - or experience something - but maybe we don't really know exactly what it is, yet we think the worst, don't we? Our minds instinctively go in that direction, and that is completely normal. Everybody does that. It's hard-wired into our brains and has helped us survive. BUT what if the bad thing doesn't happen and we've wasted all our precious energy fretting about it? It's exactly that: a waste. 

I'm going to try really hard not to catastrophize and expect that my taper will be awful. I'm just going to take it one day at a time, one minute at a time and not anticipate that the future will be just like the past. I'm going to give it a chance to be different. Because, as I wrote at the beginning, until something actually happens, there is a chance that it won't. 

Here's hoping your day is full of AWESOME surprises! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

A good lesson for sure.  I have been anticipating the worst over the last few days, so will start out my day tomorrow meditating instead of anticipating.  Thanks for sharing!

GG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, [[G...] said:

A good lesson for sure.  I have been anticipating the worst over the last few days, so will start out my day tomorrow meditating instead of anticipating.  Thanks for sharing!

GG

Meditate instead of anticipating.   Alright, Gardenguru!   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I hope this is right place to post this ...

I got a GREAT lesson today, so I thought I'd share: Until something actually happens, there is a chance that it won't.

Here's today's story. My (much) better half walked into the kitchen this morning to pour our second cup of coffee and noticed there was water welling up through the flooring in the hallway. Uh, oh. My first thought was that one of us had spilled something, but then I couldn't see how that would be possible without either one of us noticing before. We both looked at the water, and it just kept coming up, even after we'd blotted it dry. We figured that it was probably a leak in the water line that we were fairly certain ran beneath the floor. (We've lived here less than a year, so nothing is absolutely certain ... fairly is about as close as we can get.)

In our minds we were already formulating our strategy: look under the house (if possible - it's kind of weird under there), don't use the bathroom near the kitchen, put down more towels, call the plumber after we get back from my appointment tomorrow, prepare to have the floor ripped up to access the pipes if we can't get to them under the house, and so forth. My husband was stressed but I decided that, OK, it would be an inconvenience, but that's all. It's not like there was a fountain spouting in the hallway. I just wasn't going to get worked up about it emotionally. (This time ... believe me, I can get worked up over a crooked picture.) But there is just too much going on that is already sucking up that energy. 

We proceeded to finish our coffee, have our morning "Coffee Chat" with the Universe, and do our daily meditation. We do a guided meditation, and it is amazing how the meditations always seem to be relevant to whatever is going on right now. I could feel myself becoming calmer and my nagging headache even subsided a bit.

I was ready to get the flashlight and look under the house when my husband called excitedly from the kitchen. A 2.5-gallon container of distilled water had developed a puncture and was leaking onto and underneath the floor in the pantry! That was it! No plumber. No tearing up the floor. We could use the bathroom. Huzzah!

So, my lesson was this: We see something - or experience something - but maybe we don't really know exactly what it is, yet we think the worst, don't we? Our minds instinctively go in that direction, and that is completely normal. Everybody does that. It's hard-wired into our brains and has helped us survive. BUT what if the bad thing doesn't happen and we've wasted all our precious energy fretting about it? It's exactly that: a waste. 

I'm going to try really hard not to catastrophize and expect that my taper will be awful. I'm just going to take it one day at a time, one minute at a time and not anticipate that the future will be just like the past. I'm going to give it a chance to be different. Because, as I wrote at the beginning, until something actually happens, there is a chance that it won't. 

Here's hoping your day is full of AWESOME surprises! 

Jessamy:

Trying not to catastrophize when our brains are not working properly is really hard, but I love what you said, and your example of what happened in your home is perfect.   Trying to live one day at a time has really helped me!   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Jessamy:

Trying not to catastrophize when our brains are not working properly is really hard, but I love what you said, and your example of what happened in your home is perfect.   Trying to live one day at a time has really helped me!   

It is SO hard! But those times when we can is soooo good!! Exactly, one day at a time!! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...