Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Let's stay hopeful and helpful

[de...]

Love the new sight!   Kudos to the team/staff for making this happen.   BenzoBuddies has been an invaluable resource in my journey through benzo injury recovery.    I am still not there yet, but I am looking forward to the day when I can write MY success story.  In the meantime, I want to do my part to spread hope and help.    We all need each other as we soldier through this incredibly difficult process.    I am excited about this "new" chapter in the life of BenzoBuddies.   

I want to know the three things that help you cope.   Your top three coping skills.

Mine are:   Acceptance - not fighting the symptoms but recognizing them as part of my life currently.  

Prayer - my faith has played a huge part in my journey.   Trusting that God wants the best for me and is always at work

Community - I have lots of supportive friends that are available at a moments notice.   Being vulnerable and allowing people to see my struggles has been very, very liberating.    This includes those I have "met" on this forum.

Please tell me what works for you.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Love the new sight!   Kudos to the team/staff for making this happen.   BenzoBuddies has been an invaluable resource in my journey through benzo injury recovery.    I am still not there yet, but I am looking forward to the day when I can write MY success story.  In the meantime, I want to do my part to spread hope and help.    We all need each other as we soldier through this incredibly difficult process.    I am excited about this "new" chapter in the life of BenzoBuddies.   

I want to know the three things that help you cope.   Your top three coping skills.

Mine are:   Acceptance - not fighting the symptoms but recognizing them as part of my life currently.  

Prayer - my faith has played a huge part in my journey.   Trusting that God wants the best for me and is always at work

Community - I have lots of supportive friends that are available at a moments notice.   Being vulnerable and allowing people to see my struggles has been very, very liberating.    This includes those I have "met" on this forum.

Please tell me what works for you.

Hello @[de...] You might like to visit the new forum space, the The Bright Side (of Life).

Yes, I think this software has a lot to offer!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Awesome!   Can I move my post to that forum? 

Members can't move posts/threads to another forum. But as admin I can move this thread for you if you want me to (or try to move it as this is all new to me too!). ^-^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Members can't move posts/threads to another forum. But as admin I can move this thread for you if you want me to (or try to move it as this is all new to me too!). ^-^

That would be great!    (Just now figuring out how to do the quote)

1 minute ago, [[d...] said:

That would be great!    (Just now figuring out how to do the quote)

You did it!   Congrats!

2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Great ideas, decatur! 

My coping is similar - prayer, read Bible, trust the Lord!

Yes, trust the Lord!  

• Like 1

What a great, thought-provoking question ... I have a suitcase full of strategies, but my top three ...

Faith - But it's a Faith that I am exactly where I am supposed to be in order to, eventually and hopefully, fulfill my purpose. To find whatever it is that my soul came here to do. And ALL of this - all of my experiences, including withdrawal from Benzos - is part of what I need to do. Maybe it helps create empathy and compassion for others, maybe it helps me to put things into perspective. But I believe I need to do this.

Walking in Nature - Going for walks outside and really focusing on being present helps me a lot. The exercise is great, the sunshine, the fresh air ... all so good.

Support from my husband - And I know I am so blessed to have this! He has a magical touch and a wonderful hug. At night he rubs my back to help me fall asleep and it really, really helps. And every morning he gives me a big hug while we both smile. He prays with me, and we meditate together. He is my Rock. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, [[J...] said:

What a great, thought-provoking question ... I have a suitcase full of strategies, but my top three ...

Faith - But it's a Faith that I am exactly where I am supposed to be in order to, eventually and hopefully, fulfill my purpose. To find whatever it is that my soul came here to do. And ALL of this - all of my experiences, including withdrawal from Benzos - is part of what I need to do. Maybe it helps create empathy and compassion for others, maybe it helps me to put things into perspective. But I believe I need to do this.

Walking in Nature - Going for walks outside and really focusing on being present helps me a lot. The exercise is great, the sunshine, the fresh air ... all so good.

Support from my husband - And I know I am so blessed to have this! He has a magical touch and a wonderful hug. At night he rubs my back to help me fall asleep and it really, really helps. And every morning he gives me a big hug while we both smile. He prays with me, and we meditate together. He is my Rock. 

Jessamy:   I love these.   Especially the "Faith that I am exactly where I am supposed to be in order to, eventually and hopefully, fulfill my purpose".   Your husband sounds like a tremendous support.   You are very blessed, indeed.   

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 2:31 PM, [[J...] said:

It’s crazy how we can go through so much pain and have someone who is there to to support us!?  How lucky we are! My mom is there right with me.  She helped find a rehab for me and is always researching to find help.  She found a phd program which would accept me!

i see some people who don’t have that and I can’t imagine how hard it would be without her.  I don’t think I could have made it this far. I probably would have died or been killed in jail years ago.  

This just reminded me of how lucky I am to have support.  What a blessing! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, [[J...] said:

It’s crazy how we can go through so much pain and have someone who is there to to support us!?  How lucky we are! My mom is there right with me.  She helped find a rehab for me and is always researching to find help.  She found a phd program which would accept me!

i see some people who don’t have that and I can’t imagine how hard it would be without her.  I don’t think I could have made it this far. I probably would have died or been killed in jail years ago.  

This just reminded me of how lucky I am to have support.  What a blessing! 

It really, really is, isn't it? I am SO grateful for the support. It is HUGE! So, so Blessed!!

• Like 1

Prayer (if not religious, please skip)

I only have God to talk to. My parents get hurt when they see me hurting, and they pressure me to take whatever brain drugs. Similar to what @[Je...] posted and I saw on a buddie's post: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jesus understands our suffering. He went through it in the Agony in the garden of Gethsemane.

(i hope posting this does not violate rules) 

Music

I listen to Christian songs while walking. My favorites on spotify are "Lead me Lord," "God will make a way," "Take me out of the dark" and "Lift up your hands"

Lots of kpop during exercise. I guess it helps that I can't understand the lyrics and just enjoy the beat. 

Success stories

Still struggling that there is no same case as me. But success stories are proof that healing is real. That there is a beautiful "other side" after the suffering. My brain needs lots of convincing especially when in pain. My therapist calls my dark thoughts "barking dogs" that I should ignore and counter with positive thoughts. The brain is sick and spews out lies, so I need to counter with FACTS from success stories. Healing is real, healing is real, I am worthy of being healed, I too will heal. I get a lot of wisdom from success stories. I read on a lot of posts how the belief that they will heal actually sped up their healing process. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Prayer (if not religious, please skip)

I only have God to talk to. My parents get hurt when they see me hurting, and they pressure me to take whatever brain drugs. Similar to what @[Je...] posted and I saw on a buddie's post: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jesus understands our suffering. He went through it in the Agony in the garden of Gethsemane.

(i hope posting this does not violate rules) 

Music

I listen to Christian songs while walking. My favorites on spotify are "Lead me Lord," "God will make a way," "Take me out of the dark" and "Lift up your hands"

Lots of kpop during exercise. I guess it helps that I can't understand the lyrics and just enjoy the beat. 

Success stories

Still struggling that there is no same case as me. But success stories are proof that healing is real. That there is a beautiful "other side" after the suffering. My brain needs lots of convincing especially when in pain. My therapist calls my dark thoughts "barking dogs" that I should ignore and counter with positive thoughts. The brain is sick and spews out lies, so I need to counter with FACTS from success stories. Healing is real, healing is real, I am worthy of being healed, I too will heal. I get a lot of wisdom from success stories. I read on a lot of posts how the belief that they will heal actually sped up their healing process. 

@[Tr...] I'm sure it's hard when you don't see someone going through the same thing that you are. But you have a strong Faith, which carries you - I can see that. And I do believe that BELIEVING we will heal, absolutely, helps us do exactly that. 

Something I like to think about: Imagine when you accidentally cut your finger. Your body knows EXACTLY what to do to heal that cut. And we really still don't know EXACTLY how the body knows what to do. We SORT of do, but even so, the body has its own wisdom and gets the job done. We usually don't give it a second thought, and yet, what an amazing thing.

Our brains heal, too, it just takes time and it's hard NOT to be aware of what we're feeling. But our bodies WANT to be healthy, and they will get there. Sometimes it just takes longer.

Sending you Love and Light,

Jess

• Like 2

Hi all. I have to ask: how,do I get to a positive place? Clomazapam withdrawal is bad. I cant see the light in anything. How do you all do it, please? I can't get there.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, [[T...] said:

I only have God to talk to.

Same here, @[Tr...].  My family doesn't understand.  I don't talk to anyone about this other than God and on this forum.  

My strategies: (I'm trying to think in the midst of a migraine and other symptoms, so I hope this is coherent enough.)

1. As with you, @[de...], it's my faith in God that helps me more than anything, so I pray, read, and memorize a lot, and meditate on scripture, which is comforting and distracting.  I believe God allowed this (benzos) in my life for a reason, and He uses these things to help us grow.  I stay close to Him.

2. When life feels impossible, I keep telling myself, "I can do this; I can do this." over and over.  And I tell myself I can get through this one day and one night at a time

3. I keep telling myself I'm practicing radical optimism, and although I keep failing at it, the thought seems to help.

4.  Acceptance is a big one, total acceptance.

5. Gratitude, lots and lots of gratitude.  There's always much to be grateful for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

Same here, @[Tr...].  My family doesn't understand.  I don't talk to anyone about this other than God and on this forum.  

My strategies: (I'm trying to think in the midst of a migraine and other symptoms, so I hope this is coherent enough.)

1. As with you, @[de...], it's my faith in God that helps me more than anything, so I pray, read, and memorize a lot, and meditate on scripture, which is comforting and distracting.  I believe God allowed this (benzos) in my life for a reason, and He uses these things to help us grow.  I stay close to Him.

2. When life feels impossible, I keep telling myself, "I can do this; I can do this." over and over.  And I tell myself I can get through this one day and one night at a time

3. I keep telling myself I'm practicing radical optimism, and although I keep failing at it, the thought seems to help.

4.  Acceptance is a big one, total acceptance.

5. Gratitude, lots and lots of gratitude.  There's always much to be grateful for.

Love these!!!!   Thanks for posting.    I don't want to offend anyone by talking about my faith, but it is very important to me.   I think there are lots of people who have experienced tremendous growth spiritually because of this "process".   One day at a time is so important for me.    When I get overwhelmed with symptoms I just try to focus on getting through the day and being grateful.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi all. I have to ask: how,do I get to a positive place? Clomazapam withdrawal is bad. I cant see the light in anything. How do you all do it, please? I can't get there.

@[Bu...] I am so sorry you're having such a struggle. I know it is not easy to get to a positive place.

My thoughts: For me it is important to remember that although I may not be able to control what is happening to me, I get to choose how I am going to respond.  It's harder with emotional symptoms, most definitely, but I try to not be my thoughts about how I'm feeling, but the awareness behind my thoughts. I try to just let my thoughts and physical symptoms flow through me and out of me. To just observe them. (I hope this makes some sense. It's taken me a long time to get to this point and even so I don't always succeed, but I've become much better over time.) I know this will pass, though, and that my body and mind are going through whatever it is they need to go through to heal. I accept it will take time and I just have to be patient. I trust that my body knows what it needs to do. 

Your body is doing what it needs to do, too. It will just take time. Something that has really helped me is guided meditation. I meditate every single morning, even if I don't feel like it. I've been doing this for several years. I also practice mindfulness and gratitude. Practicing daily Gratitude, in my experience, can really go a long way towards helping with positivity. Writing down five things I am grateful for every evening before going to bed. Reflecting on the day and the things for which I am grateful, leads to more gratitude, and is uplifting.

Some days, I know, it's really hard to find something to be grateful for, but on those days, I think of things like, "I'm grateful this day is over!" and then there are things like indoor plumbing, fresh water to drink, internet access (right?), and I didn't trip and fall down the stairs.

I am sending you Posivibes and hope that you feel better. There is always light. Always hope.

Jess

• Like 1

Much thanks, Jess! Your certainly much stronger than I. I don't want anyone to feel as I feel mentally. I've tried various things but, so far,  not much has helped. I've lost much.

6 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Bulldog:   Sorry you are struggling.   One thing I do is to remind myself that this is not permanent; that I will get back to my "old self" again.   I don't know if your symptoms are primarily mental or physical, but trying to stay present and take one day at a time has helped me as well.  This is a very difficult journey, but you will learn lots of coping skills along the way.   I am so sorry you have lost much!   I know first hand the losses this brings.   Please keep reaching out!   

Thank you , DE! It's all mental now, ( I'm in my 3rd year of wd). I don't know who I am: It's the intrusive thoughts that are overwhelming. The negativity is massive, even though my world is very small now. I've lost myself somewhere  and I don't know what to do.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[Bu...] I feel bad that you're still having a hard time.  I'm here for you; we're here for you.💛