What just happened?

[ia...]

Hi Buddies,

I've been tapering off Alprazolam for about 9 months-1 year. I'm currently holding at .125 mg of Alprazolam. This is equivalent to about 00.010 g by weight on the scale. I'm using dry cut and hold method. I've been holding at this amount for about 1 month.

I was planning on cutting again this week (the plan was to reduce 5%) , however - seemingly out of nowhere, I've entered a wave. It’s important to note, I really haven't experienced any challenges during this hold - until one month in. My wave symptoms include the dreaded tightness in throat and abdomen (the 'squeezing' feeling inside), sleep has deteriorated. More sweats. More irritability. Some pain in the body/limbs.

The only thing that has changed in my lifestyle is working out and eating BETTER. I started lifting last week (I'm a seasoned lifter but haven't been lifting during my taper. I used to lift consistently years ago. Just getting back into it - slowly). Do we think lifting, of all things could be changing my symptoms?

Final question/point: How do I determine when to move to my next cut? I’m in my slow season for consulting work – and I’m trying to leverage the summer by being assertive (not aggressive) with this taper. When consulting gets busy – I cannot be going through the worst WDs of my life (not that I can plan it lol!)  Your thoughts? Advice? Thanks for your time, energy and support. Gratitude!

It sounds like your increase in exercise could be the culprit, I’ve read many members who aren’t able to exercise strenuously, some swear by it but others find they get increased symptoms.  I wonder if you might back off your routine a little, see if that helps?

I’m glad you’re taking advantage of your slower work schedule but this may be one activity you might have to modify. 

How has your diet changed, nothing too crazy, right?

Hi Pam - Thank you so much for your reply.

I can't think of anything else that could randomly be causing the uptick in symptoms.

My diet has improved somewhat. Eating more veg - less sugar (it's been hard but necessary). I'm also trying to stick to a low histamine diet. Other than that... I'm trying to think what else it could be. I really thought exercizing would help but maybe it's pushing the drug out of me faster - maybe it's metabolizing faster?

Sometimes we can’t find the reason for an uptick or we assign a reason and it turns out that wasn’t it, its so frustrating!

It doesn’t sound like your diet could be causing this, I’d modify your workout routine a bit, see if that helps.  We have a lot of threads about exercise intolerance, I hope that’s not happening in your case.

Appreciate your time and reply Pam - your insight is always so valuable and supportive.

I will check out the exercize intollerance boards. Wishing you a great week Pamster.