Alprazolam to Clonzepam NEED Help.

[Ny...]

I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice.

I am currently tapering from .75mg of Alprazolam. I was taking .25mg in the morning and .5mg at bedtime. I began the taper 5/25. I began by cutting my morning dose which is now down to 0.054grams. I've reduced my night dose two times, which is now at 0.115grams. I have been suffering interdose withdrawal for 3-4 years. I never knew what was making me so sick until recently figuring it out. I never increased my dose the whole 5 years taking Alprazolam. I am horribly sick every day. Constant nausea, I have been unable to eat properly for years due to this and have become malnourished, lost weight & feel very unhealthy. I have not had 1 day in 4 years that I've felt well. As I started reducing my doses the symptoms have become worse. I don't think I can succeed at tapering off the Alprazolam. My doctor has suggested switching me to Clonzepam for the longer half life to resume my taper and get rid of the interdose symptoms. I just want to not feel sick and at this point I believe staying on the Alprazolam is making me sicker.

I have never taken Clonzepam. My doctor sent in a script for the Clonzepam but did not give me any instructions on how to switch over. I am very limited on Alprazolam and don't have the luxury of a slow gradual crossover. (I have about 5 pills left) I'm thinking maybe I can switch out the morning dose of Alprazolam, which is pretty small to test the Clonzepam. I'm finding mixed answers as to equivalency. My main worry is if I do a direct crossover will I experience unbearable withdrawal from the Alprazolam? I'm already suffering from the interdose symptoms... I don't want to get worse. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to medications due to past issues of bad reactions. The ONLY reason I am even thinking about switching is because my doctor said it would help get rid of the interdose symptoms I'm feeling. I have not been able to function for years. I am tired of feeling sick every day. I just want to feel stable so I can resume my taper and finally be off the meds. I greatly appreciate any help and advice you can provide.

Hello :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I can't help with your substitution taper, I know others will be along to offer advice. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I was like you, sick of being sick. I had symptoms for years, I didn't know what was wrong with me.  Well done on your taper so far, I know many have successfully tapered off Xanax,  while others  substitute to a long life benzo like you are doing with klonopin.  Do some research, you will get all the  support you need here.

Slow is the way with benzos, It's generally recommended to reduce between 5-10% every 10-14 day, it’s  ok to alter go slower, whatever feels comfortable

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

You might like to check out these support groups:

The Xanax Club

Klonopin Klub 

Magrita

Since Clonazepam and Xanax are roughly equivalent, you shouldn’t have to worry about trying to figure out how much to take.  The only thing I can see is since Clonazepam is longer acting, it may build up slower so doing a mini crossover is a good idea and you have just enough of the Xanax to do that.

You’ll likely be able to feel the difference but try not to get freaked out about it, that will only lead to more discomfort.  Try to take an observational attitude, observe the differences, maybe even write them down as you would an experiment while trying not to worry about these differences.

I believe the Clonazepam will help with interdose but not sure it will mean an easing of your other symptoms.