Xanax to Librium

[bl...]

Hello all,

My doc gave me a script for Librium 25mg/3x a day. Trying to come of 2mg/day Xanax. Wondering if anyone else has ever heard of using Librium for a sub. Just started this morning, and I will either go into full withdrawals or hopefully be OK.

Doc tried Phenobarbital first which did not work and now trying this. He is reluctant to switch me to diazepam, but he said he would do it as a last resort. He is familiar with the Ashton manual, not sure how familiar.

Thank you

I read your post about phenobarbital, I’m sorry you had to suffer like that, it doesn’t do a thing for symptoms but it can be helpful in preventing seizures.

Have you tired to taper directly from the Xanax, many of our members have been successful.  How many times a day do you dose, I typically see 4 times daily with our members.

I’m not sure if 75 mgs of Librium a day is enough to cross over to and Librium is a little more challenging to taper from because I believe its in capsules?

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah the phenobarbital was a disaster. Per doctor's orders I quit Xanax completely and take Librium 25mg/3 times a day, starting today.

I used to take 1mg xanax in the morning around 7am and then another 1mg in the evening around 5pm. Looking back on that now, I was going through interdose withdrawals around starting around 3pm- I just didn't know that was a thing.

You are correct Librium comes in capsules. I don't know the doctor's plan on dose reduction- we are just seeing if Librium will even work and keep me out of withdrawal. By tomorrow I will know if this can help- I will make sure to post an update.

Oh dear, its not typically a good idea to completely stop the Xanax, tapering in the Librium will allow it to build up in your system giving you coverage.  Xanax leaves so quickly and Librium builds up slowly, if you read this, please consider reducing your Xanax and adding in the equivalent of Librium, I would hate to see you suffer.

Here is a equivalency calculator you might use to help you gauge your dose requirements. https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, many doctors don’t understand how slowly we need to go to be functional.  Have you read this? Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

I don't know why I let my doctor talk me into this. Honestly, I just want to taper by the book, meaning following the Ashton manual as close as I can while listening to my body. I like having a regime to follow and there is a pretty big support base online for doing that method

Sadly it is going to take me proving that a straight cut to Librium, just like the phenobarb, does not work. The only way I see to prove this is the inevitable withdrawal symptoms and a trip to the hospital tomorrow. The doctor said if this does not work, he can resort to diazepam. Some people have had success with libirum though, I'll update tomorrow so far just minor withdrawal symptoms.

From here on out I will be firm with my decision with the Ashton manual and starting diazepam, and to taper at my own rate. Enough with the doctors guessing on what might work.

Maybe I can message you directly, I'm not trying to vent or complain on this thread. This is just what I'm going through with trying to get treatment and maybe others can relate.

I’m so sorry you have to play this game in order to get to the solution that’s right for you, its cruel you have to suffer because of it.  Hopefully you’re providing a learning experience for your doctor so others will benefit but…

Talking about this issue on the open forum is exactly the right approach, it helps others in the same situation understand they’re not alone and hopefully your experience will provide a roadmap for the next person faced with this.  So thank you for documenting your journey, besides, this is the place to vent, that’s what we do.  ;)

Thanks Pamster.

Here I go then.

Yesterday (day 2 of straight cut to Librium) I took my morning 25mg Librium dose, I could tell I was for sure withdrawing. At 12:30 I took my second Librium dose, withdrawals getting worse.

Went to the hospital ED(emergency department) around 2:30PM. By that point I was withdrawing pretty hard probably 7/10. Got there, checked in, hospitals + withdrawals spiked my blood pressure and heart BPMs through the roof. They immediately got me on a saline drip and pushed 1mg Avatan through the IV, and gave two .25 xanax. I stayed in the ED until my blood pressure came to a reasonable level.

I left the ED around 8:30pm AGAINST DOCTORS ORDERS. Here is the insane part. They wanted me to stay in the hospital for a direct substitute to Valium and the tapering plan was 5 DAYS. 2mg Valium tabs- take 5 tabs on day 1, take 4 tabs on day 2, 3 tabs on day 3, 2 day 4, 1 day 5. Not only is this a direct taper but to an amount, in my opinion, that was way under dosed and over a ridiculously short time.

The doctor asked me why I didn't want to stay. In short, I said I didn't agree with the tapering plan. Doctor responded with, "why because you googled something?" Took my discharge papers and left. We have to stand up for ourselves and in what we believe in. Google led me to this site and a great reddit support community.

I am trying to schedule an emergency meeting with my primary care doctor tomorrow.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement Pamster, you are awesome.

I admire you, you’ve did it your doctors way pretty much knowing what would happen and it did, I’m so sorry you ended up in the hospital and on a cocktail of benzo’s!  I wonder if the medical community will ever acknowledge what these drugs do to us or will we be forever dismissed?

I hope your doctor will listen to you now and let you direct your own taper, who better?  You obviously want to get off of the medication, you’re not drug seeking, you just want the freedom to taper from a drug without losing your ability to function, its cruel of anyone to think they know better than you what you need.

I spoke with my doctor over the phone today, he could not fit me in for an appointment. He gave me a script for 10mg Diazepam 3 times a day. He said this was the highest dose he ever gave a patient. It is high, but so is 2mg xanax per day. Ashton method recommends reducing the xanax while introducing the Diazepam but it calculates out to 40mg of diazepam, not 30.

I have an actual scheduled appointment with him this Friday, I plan on calling him tomorrow though- I'm unsure about a 2mg xanax to a direct sub of 30mg Diazepam.

I kind of have to play the game like you said- I live in a very rural area and he is based out of the biggest town near me (14,000 people). If I were to switch doctors I would be looking at a 2 hour drive. I think this doc is coming around, slowly. I am thankful to have anyone really.

The trouble with Valium is it seems like a high dose but its not, not compared to the high powered benzo’s like Klonopin and Xanax.  Valium is the best to taper with because its not as potent, we can get to much smaller doses without having to build a laboratory in our kitchen doing titration.

Just so you know, Professor Ashton equivalencies were based on her studies and patient comfort, they’re a little higher than the rest so even if he won’t budge on the 30 mg, you may still be okay.  Some members report feeling too sedated at that dose, speaking of that, its normal to feel sedated and face some depression but I’m told that after your body acclimates to it, it goes away.  Still, it can be unpleasant switching to another benzo, even though they have many of the same ingredients, they do make you feel different. 

I’m glad you’re working with this doctor, he sounds like he may be teachable.  :thumbsup:

• Popular Now

• [...]
    • [...]