Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Librium for fast detox?

[Si...]

I've had a brutal 8 months.  Since my second updose to 30mg I have been shaking and struggling to breathe, pain in chest.  Once I dropped under 10mg I;ve had 10 hour screaming attacks,  less and less sleep (often 2hours).  The anxiety and panic are out of this world.  I am completely non functional and have care from my mother. 

I came off too slow at first (as the updose completely destabilised me), and then after 10mg I had enough and came off too fast.  I am in horror at my experience, especially as I was only taking 10mg on and off last summer to deal with covid and/or withdrawal from a single high dose 2weeks prior.  I took valium once every 2months or so before covid and thought I was being clever as I knew about withdrawal. 

After reaching out for help last September I was told to take the 10mg  every day and that was when all the troubles started, but nothing like now.

I'm now 23 days at zero and still bad.  Screamed last Saturday on and off from 3am to 10pm.  Woke up this morning in agony, fire going through my legs arms chest throat and head. 

For the first time I've found a psychiatrist who accepts the problem is benzos.  He is at the Priory hospital and would admit me soon.

However he would put me back on.... very wary..;at the same time my life is intolerable...understatement.  He would put me on LIBRIUM at around equivalent of 10mg valium dose, and taper off over 6 weeks, plus use trazodone for sleep.

I've vaguely heard that librium is used for a faster taper.  Others say a benzo is a benzo. 

I think he said something about being flexible, maybe just try trazodone.

He thinks I came off too fast but obviously coming off in 6 weeks is even faster.

Has anyone heard of going back on with librium and tapering faster???

From what I understand, Librium is primarily used for alcohol detox. It’s a very old benzo and I believe not nearly as powerful.

I took it once and slept for 3 days. Maybe try it just once and see how it affects you?

Maybe hit up Dr. Google?

I’m so sorry you’re having such a difficult time but am glad you found an understanding doctor that’s flexible.

Thank you Mary.

My parents are making me go today.  I am shaking and can't think straight.  I mean I think I am doing absolutely the wrong thing going back on the benzo.  But at the same time my parents want me out rather than moaning and shaking here....They are elderly

I am in the hospital,  but I came to my senses thank god and refused the librium.  they are giving me trazodone 50mg and pregabalin.  I pushed non stop for low doses.  I'm terrified of the pregabalin. Today I took 50mg pregabalin and I think my symptoms have improved.  Also I slept more with the trazodone last night.  however I'm so wary.  they want me to take another 50mg pregabalin this evening and I think I'll refuse.  I am not screaming or moaning with anxiety pain and can kind of breathe.  I want to say I'm getting better on day 25 of zero but I suppose it is the drugs. 

Yay! You slept! Maybe stick with the Trazadone only for a couple of days. I believe it’s also a mild antidepressant. Hopefully that will be all you need.

And Dr Google the Pregabalin…search on BB too.