Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cold Turkey Mistake?

[Go...]

Did I make a mistake going C/T? I mean I’m at 5+ months, but how can I possibly know if my symptoms are worse than everyone else’s or worse than what a taper might be?  There is no way to go into your minds and actually experience your pain.  How do I know im not the worst ever and this WON’T be ok?

You'll be fine although you may feel crappy for a while. Given your circumstances, sounds like you are doing as well as can be expected. You will heal for sure, just be patient and accept the fact that you may be beset with fatigue, brain fog and derealization for a while. Consider it a nuisance, nothing more. If your mood is real low, consider a non stimulating AD, but if you have some optimism (which I think is warranted), then try to be upbeat and grateful that you have gotten clean off the benzos!!! And it doesn't sound one bit like you made a mistake. You avoided a long and symptomatic taper with all the obsessions like dosing etc which can drive a person crazy. Congrats!!!

Yes Keegan, avoiding the taper was good. It’s just that I feel like I “increased” the hell by experiencing all this C/T instead of gradual suffering with the taper, if that’s what tapering does?

Tapering is no picnic and I agree with keagan, you avoided that misery.  As for the intensity of your symptoms, in my experience with cold turkey, we face more intense symptoms at the beginning but then we level out and experience what those who tapered and have jumped feel so what you’re feeling now is just typical 5+ months off symptoms, miserable but common.

Peñas cold turkey gonzo if you ask me it’s out of you system and you keep going. I think everyone here is the worst case. This shot is so hard. I got better and better !

Yes Keegan, avoiding the taper was good. It’s just that I feel like I “increased” the hell by experiencing all this C/T instead of gradual suffering with the taper, if that’s what tapering does?

Since this began for me I have questioned the idea that tapering reduces suffering.  I think the suffering has to be done whether you do intense suffering all at once in a cold turkey, or less intense but long and drawn out with a taper. 

If I cold turkey today and you taper over a year, will you be better off on that one year anniversary than me?  It's hard to know but the way I see it is you've been on the med 1 year longer than me.  From all the reading I've done here (and that's a lot of reading) I have yet to see any clear evidence emerge that people who taper end up in a better place than those who don't.  They may not suffer as intensely, but it seems they might suffer longer.

It is a controversial topic on here, and I am just some dude on the internet.  So take it with a grain of salt. 

Since this began for me I have questioned the idea that tapering reduces suffering.  I think the suffering has to be done whether you do intense suffering all at once in a cold turkey, or less intense but long and drawn out with a taper. 

If I cold turkey today and you taper over a year, will you be better off on that one year anniversary than me?  It's hard to know but the way I see it is you've been on the med 1 year longer than me.  From all the reading I've done here (and that's a lot of reading) I have yet to see any clear evidence emerge that people who taper end up in a better place than those who don't.  They may not suffer as intensely, but it seems they might suffer longer.

It is a controversial topic on here, and I am just some dude on the internet.  So take it with a grain of salt.

I mostly agree with your thoughts. Starting with a taper is a good idea for most folks, but the people socked in on high doses for many years, often have a miserable long taper which often fails.

i sometimes wonder like we all do. When it came to switching over from Xanax to Valium i was told i needed to do a 3 week crossover and this and that and it was confusing so i said nope, screw it and just switched straight over to V with no crossover. I went through about 2 days of kinda hell but then it was over and my body was acclimated to V. So idk, sometimes i wonder....what is better....just rip the bandaid off and get it over with? I guess it depends on how long long you were on this drug and your age ect. I know for me its under a year ive been on this, yet have been tapering for 6 months and still have 3 more to go...and its not easy...every cut is hell. Would it be better to just be done in 2 weeks? IDK. i wish i could see in the future cause im sick of this.