Clonazepam for 20 years

[Co...]

I have been taking Clonazepam .5 mg a day for probably close to 20 years.  I was prescribed this by my Dr. for horrible panic attacks.  I tried many other meds, but didn't like how any of them made me feel. I can't relate to having any bad experiences with it, but my Dr retired and my new one doesn't want to continue it.  I have felt like it was a life saver for me. I was bad. I didn't want to leave the house.  I went from my bed to the couch everyday.  I wasn't living. For the last 20 years I have been able to be a contributing member of society with my husband and child and now grandchildren.  What am I missing? Am I in denial?  My new doctor acts like it's the devil.  I have always taken it as prescribed ( .5 mg once a day at bedtime)and never gave it a thought.  I dont take any other meds for anxiety and i dont drink.  Only after being referred to a psychiatrist, did I start searching.  I am scared to death of all the horror stories about coming off of it.  My first appointment with the psychiatrist is next week.  I feel like I've been thrust into a situation that I didn't ask for.  First I didn't ask for the clonazepam and now I'm not asking to discontinue it.  I am very open to getting off of it and even really am developing more and more of a desire to after everyone's experience.  I just feel a little lost. 

Hello Confusedgirl2023, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m so sorry your new doctor is unwilling to let you continue on the drug, no one should be forced off a drug they’re using responsibly and especially if it’s helping their quality of life.

Would your new psychiatrist be willing to let you continue taking the Clonazepam?  Honestly, discontinuing these medications is rough and if your heart isn’t in it, then your motivation might not be enough to see you through this.

We can certainly help support you if you do decide you’d like to discontinue the Clonazepam but I hope you have the freedom to make your own choice.

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, listening to your body is hopefully the way you can stay functional as you rid yourself of the drug.

Let us know what you’d like to do, we’ll help you all we can.  It might help to show your doctor this document, not many in the medical profession understand how to taper us. Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Pamster

The majority of benzo people don't have a significant discontinuation syndrome from coming off benzos (which is mysterious to me given what I experienced), so don't assume the worst. Your dose is fairly low so you might be fine.

If you’re happy on the medication, find another doctor. Maybe your GP! Not everyone needs to come off benzos. I’m serious so do what is right for YOU!

This video by psychiatrist Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring might be of interest:

Does everyone NEED to stop their Benzo?

I agree with most of the above. Not everyone needs to come off benzos. And the thought crosses my mind that if you've been on this drug for 20 years, I wonder if the benefits are no longer physiological but psychological. Something to think about.

That having been said, if it were me, I wouldn't let someone talk me off the drug. Neither would I see a psychiatrist. I got into the worst trouble of my life with psychiatrists. I sought out a nurse practitioner instead of a psychiatrist when my drug-pushing psychiatrist retired. Best decision of my life. She was actually a reasonable human being, not a drug advocate, which psychiatrists sadly are. Do you really need to see a psychiatrist?

I understand your dilemma, but in the interests of not rocking the boat, maybe don't see a psychiatrist? Just a thought. There are other health care professionals.

Wishing you the best,

Katz

Dancingalone: my PM’s are disabled. Thank you for your message-my reinstatement attempt, after talking to Emma Saunders, Geraldine Burns, my benzo wise Dr. was a disaster. Hand in there before attempting that route!