Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

First night away from where I’m living

[Go...]

I just returned from my mother’s house, where I spent an overnight visit after 4+ months in a sober living house.  The panic and fear were terrible this morning, and I’m wondering if this is because I spent the night in a “new” place?  Has anyone experience a return of terrible thoughts and fear because of spending time at another place/house?  Is this something to be expected?  Am I doomed to have to stay in familiar locations?  My panic gets bad in a car, going to different places, but this seemed to be at another level.  Plus I had anxiety before going to other places.  Now I’m back at the house, wondering how bad things will be, if my anxiety prior to Klonopin will continue to hinder my life, and if I’ll ever be able to go places without terrible panic.  I’m 5+ months out from C/T.  ANY advice is appreciated; PM me if you want.  Thanks.

Your brain craves safety and it's trying to find it in anything right now even if it doesn't feel that way. So it's gotten used to you staying in the same place for 4ish months. Then you switched things up and the brain is scared because its not good at change right now while it holds onto whatever "normalcy" it knows. Same is true for agoraphobia - the brain senses too many threats (falsely) if it doesn't stay in its comfort zone.

It will pass with more healing, with more time.

Birdie,

Thanks for the info.!  Just out of curiosity, (and my doubting benzo brain!) did you get this info from a certain source?  I’m trying to find new information instead of staying on BB all day!

I would say it's anecdotal combined with an elementary understanding of the amygdala + a ton of therapy.

Gonzo… hang in there! Exactly as Birdie said. You might find Jenn Swan videos helpful. She’s a therapist in middle of Xanax taper. She’s done hundred id videos on what she knows about our nervous system etc. also had her book on audio in her video page. It’s a great book!

https://m.youtube.com/@jenniferswanphd/videos

Keep going, you’ll start to regulate again. Slowly but surely it will all start to settle … it’s a rollercoaster so just hang on and know the longer you’re off the closer you’re getting.

Your brain craves safety and it's trying to find it in anything right now even if it doesn't feel that way. So it's gotten used to you staying in the same place for 4ish months. Then you switched things up and the brain is scared because its not good at change right now while it holds onto whatever "normalcy" it knows. Same is true for agoraphobia - the brain senses too many threats (falsely) if it doesn't stay in its comfort zone.

It will pass with more healing, with more time.

Nailed it.  Even though it’s your mother’s house, as of now it’s a change of scenery and unfamiliar.  Our brains have trouble processing new and different places, or even old places and the change of scenery is just confusing.  Humans are creatures of habit.  For the primitive brain, things that are unfamiliar aren’t safe. 

I have stayed with my parents a couple nights during this and found it so hard to relax.  It was a house I lived in many year ago and it feels like another planet. 

Change of scenery can mess you up, but don't avoid the challenge, in fact, embrace it. Just little things, like changing a light bulb, getting the mail or going to the gas station. Baby steps.  It is good for you to get used to normal existence.

djej, are you any better with places now?

Oh no.  But I’m able to recognize what’s happening.  I’m clearly more symptomatic at times than others and sometimes it’s more of a problem. If you ever have a full window, and Ive only had one, you’ll realize how bogus all this stuff really is. 

I just returned from my mother’s house, where I spent an overnight visit after 4+ months in a sober living house.  The panic and fear were terrible this morning, and I’m wondering if this is because I spent the night in a “new” place?  Has anyone experience a return of terrible thoughts and fear because of spending time at another place/house?  Is this something to be expected?  Am I doomed to have to stay in familiar locations?  My panic gets bad in a car, going to different places, but this seemed to be at another level.  Plus I had anxiety before going to other places.  Now I’m back at the house, wondering how bad things will be, if my anxiety prior to Klonopin will continue to hinder my life, and if I’ll ever be able to go places without terrible panic.  I’m 5+ months out from C/T.  ANY advice is appreciated; PM me if you want.  Thanks.

One thing that’s helped me is telling the people with whom I’m staying that I’ve had a brain injury (or medication injury if I really trust them) and what to expect. It helps me to feel safer in another environment. Also, creating a safe space for yourself within the new place can help. I made a nest on the couch at my aunt and uncle’s. Also, withdrawing at letting your system ground is good. When I got overwhelmed, I’d watch comforting TV shows. Routine can also help you avoid dwelling too much on your internal experiences. Give any one or combination of these things a try and see how they help. But generally creating an experience of familiarity and containment creates feelings of safety. You’ve got this!