Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Other meds

[Me...]

Hey guys

I just want to clarify that me feeling healed and better does not mean that I can tolerate other medicines yet.

I need some dental work done and I’m so scared. ;( I haven’t taken any medicine for years. Contemplating trying to get it done med free. Is that crazy? I’m enjoying my healing too much to risk losing it!

I love my life. I cannot go back into wd again over a stupid dental numbing agent. Scared is not even the right word for how terrifying the idea of symptoms coming back is.

Meg,

Understand how you feel completely. I've had cavities filled without any novacaine. It's not pleasurable but you can get through it, If it's a small cavity.  It does zing the nerves. I've also had some dental work done with carbocaine which is gentler and doesn't last as long.  I did just find with it. Whatever you decide I hope it goes well.  Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

I wanted to ask you because I know you had surging at the end before you healed how many months did that last for you?  And what kind of symptoms did you have?  What did you do to get through it? Were you able to distract?  Did it go away all of a sudden or gradually? I wasn't doing great but I was getting some small windows. I think that's what I'm going through because everything has  gotten worse, I'm barely hanging on. I'm 37 months and 11 days out.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hugs! LiveLife

No way in hell I would do serious dental work without some sort of anesthetic. 

Meganz, I know you’re terrified but in all likelihood, you’ll be fine.  If it makes you feel better, novocaine is a local anesthetic and less likely to give you problems.  I am sensitive to everything and have had to use a cream with lidocaine and had no issues. 

Also, if you do have a reaction, in all likelihood, it will only throw things off very temporarily.

Ok here's what works for me with dental and you'll think i'm crazy but it works. I can't tolerate a lot of meds still either. but here's the logic....

for me I have hyper reactions to meds now, and especially the epinephrine or even the "caine" based numbing agents. A neurologist told me the only way to slow the reaction is to use a benzo like versed (bc its short acting). I was really against it at first bc " my gawd its a benzo". bu theoretically he's not wrong.

So I had 2 extractions done at once and  they used IV anesthesia ( fentanyl and versed) and they also used all the local numbing agents.

It freaking worked.

I woke up and actually felt silly and was laughing.BUT....

For two days after I felt like I had a mild flu - but that was nothing compared to the prior reaction I had to epinephrine which screwed me up  for over a month badly. After the extraction I did not use any pain meds afterwards - just ice packs and sheer determination.

As for med in general, I am finding that I can tolerate some meds but I have to start with half a pediatric dose and then possibly a full pediatric dose if necessary. I had a virus this past winter that made me feel like someone was kicking my head. Went to the ER and took the risk of a kids dose of Toradol. Slept like a brick and headache gone.

Weirdly I'm still sensitive to magnesium but its better.

Fast forward to now, I have found a dentist who will do any dental work under IV sedation - which will be my go to if I have to have work done in the future.

I also react very sensitively to the caffeine in coffee, black tea and cola, but I never noticed any bad reaction to injections in my mouth.

I didn't worry about it either because I didn't know it could do any harm.

Meg,

Understand how you feel completely. I've had cavities filled without any novacaine. It's not pleasurable but you can get through it, If it's a small cavity.  It does zing the nerves. I've also had some dental work done with carbocaine which is gentler and doesn't last as long.  I did just find with it. Whatever you decide I hope it goes well.  Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

I wanted to ask you because I know you had surging at the end before you healed how many months did that last for you?  And what kind of symptoms did you have?  What did you do to get through it? Were you able to distract?  Did it go away all of a sudden or gradually? I wasn't doing great but I was getting some small windows. I think that's what I'm going through because everything has  gotten worse, I'm barely hanging on. I'm 37 months and 11 days out.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hugs! LiveLife

Thanks for the reassurance Live!

As far as the last few months of terrible symptoms, oh boy. So... in December of 2020, I wasn't doing amazing but I was somewhat functional. I had alot of symptoms but I pushed through them and worked every day. Then Christmas came (and nothing in particular set me off that I know of), and I remember sitting at my work laptop and the room just started SPINNING. I was on the ground with the world twirling in circles around me. All of my symptoms slammed me again and I lost all hope. I made up an excuse and cut my hours down to part time, but still couldn't even manage that. Quit my job by the end of March and for a few months I literally did nothing. I laid in bed. Tried my best to take care of my kids but every day was painful. Then the symptoms started falling off one by one rather quickly, but at the time I didn't notice what was happening. Because let's say the dizziness disappears for example, I'm still stricken with muscle tightness and eye pain, etc. So I'm too preoccupied to notice the symptoms leaving. Once in awhile another symptom would pop back up of course, but gosh by September or October I feel like I finally looked around and realized, wow I only have maybe 2-3 symptoms at a time now? When did this happen? Took another few years to get here, and I'm still not 100%. I can't drink coffee, I've got some severe OCD/hypochondria (which might just be me and my reaction to what I went through). Sometimes I can still feel my pulse in my fingertips, my ear puslates but the volume has decreased by like 90%. I hope this is helpful!

I also react very sensitively to the caffeine in coffee, black tea and cola, but I never noticed any bad reaction to injections in my mouth.

I didn't worry about it either because I didn't know it could do any harm.

That's awesome thank you john!

Ok here's what works for me with dental and you'll think i'm crazy but it works. I can't tolerate a lot of meds still either. but here's the logic....

for me I have hyper reactions to meds now, and especially the epinephrine or even the "caine" based numbing agents. A neurologist told me the only way to slow the reaction is to use a benzo like versed (bc its short acting). I was really against it at first bc " my gawd its a benzo". bu theoretically he's not wrong.

So I had 2 extractions done at once and  they used IV anesthesia ( fentanyl and versed) and they also used all the local numbing agents.

It freaking worked.

I woke up and actually felt silly and was laughing.BUT....

For two days after I felt like I had a mild flu - but that was nothing compared to the prior reaction I had to epinephrine which screwed me up  for over a month badly. After the extraction I did not use any pain meds afterwards - just ice packs and sheer determination.

As for med in general, I am finding that I can tolerate some meds but I have to start with half a pediatric dose and then possibly a full pediatric dose if necessary. I had a virus this past winter that made me feel like someone was kicking my head. Went to the ER and took the risk of a kids dose of Toradol. Slept like a brick and headache gone.

Weirdly I'm still sensitive to magnesium but its better.

Fast forward to now, I have found a dentist who will do any dental work under IV sedation - which will be my go to if I have to have work done in the future.

Interesting Trina! I'm definitely too paranoid to try any of that. LOL. You're brave as heck! BUT...pediatric dose is genius. I might ask them for a peds dose of the numbing agent. And I read there's a numbing agent without epi. Can I ask what your reaction to epinephrine was? I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you!

Meganz:  your posts helped me out so much.  I had a root canal 2 weeks ago and I am fine.  Nothing happened.

Meg,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply, it's very much appreciated. Also gives me hope. It's definitely encouraging to know that you suffered what I am and you are healed. It's amazing that you had that vertigo episode I had the same thing and since then it's been plaguing me along with getting slammed by my other symptoms.  It's been going on now for just over 2 months. I also know what you mean by losing all hope. This is just so unbelievable! I'm so happy that you're doing better and I'm sure it was so difficult taking care of your kids. Glad to hear your past all that and doing so well. I'm sure the other things will resolve with more time.  Sending you big hugs! LiveLife

I am 6 years off and I can take Tylenol, drink alcohol, caffeine, cannabis, probiotics and I drink Kombucha etc now. I had a tooth pulled and a bridge and had Carbocaine a few times and did fine.  I am pregnant again and I’m on anti nausea meds and other meds for the mast cell stuff. Only thing I will NOT touch is antibiotic so traumatized from they did to me!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1