Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Switching from 1MG pills to 0.5mg pills very very nervous !!

[Je...]

Been on for 15 years +

Been CTd, 2 failed tapers, most days I don’t think about the taper I just do it but when I do think about it I panic quite a bit. I’m reducing by 5 percent and sometimes by 10 percent. I’m scared of switching to the 0.5mg pills but I don’t think it should be too hard considering right now I’m at a little less than 1.5mg. My afternoon and bed time dose I have not been weighing as I just break the pill in half… which would mean with a 0.5 pill I’d just take the whole thing and start cutting from there… my morning dose is a little less than a 0.5mg pill but I’m wondering if I should just let it be a steady 0.5 am and 0.5 afternoon and 0.5 at night and taper from there? I just don’t want to mess up my body as I have SVT - POTS and … it can be hard sometimes. I also take propranalol for my heart arrhythmia and it’s literally saving me in this withdrawal. I only take it as needed and it’s the lowest dose 10mg

Hi Jessica,

I started from a similar place as you.  I was relieved to get the .5 pills - made things a lot easier.  I kept things evenly spaced and each reduction went to eliminating entire doses.  Now at a small amount at night. 

Hi!

Are the .5mg tablets you’re switching to scored?(line in middle)

If so, this actually will be better for you than the 1mg tablets bc they med is evenly dispersed on both sides of the score line, whereas non-scored tablets, who really knows where most of the med really is and so shaving or cutting can bring some very big swings in symptoms for some people. So hopefully you can get the scored tablets (if not, request this), and this will

Put you on a good track to have consistency which the brain craves during this journey.

You’re doing a great job and very up to speed before the journey which really helps! Keep asking as you need to… yhe mods here are very helpful!! Hugs to you.