Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering alprazolam again

[Ma...]

Hello,

I'm back on BB wanting off alprazolam.  I was on it for almost 30 years up to 4 mg. per day back when it was not a "controlled substance" and cost $10 for a bottle.    I am an iatrogenic victim, having it prescribed after I was diagnosed with SVT, a heart problem that would go up to 180-220 at times.  I was put on heart medication and valium at first which was changed to Xanax.

Well for the past year I've not had any episodes of SVT so my doctor agreed i can start tapering the xanax.  I did go off it once and it wasn't too bad,  I was newly married and working full time.  I was on 2 mg. per day and I would bite off little pieces when I felt withdrawal symptoms and had little trouble. At night I took an antihistamine to help sleep.

I  later  had a miscarriage and went right back to xanax, sorry I did. But it was not too bad withdrawals and came off it after a short time.  Unfortunately due to severe stress at work I

went back to it at 2 mg per day.

The third time I went on ashton taper (valium & xanax) and it was hell  I missed going to Germany with my husband severe withdrawal sxs including horrible head pressure, extreme 

morning anxiety, shaking felt I was losing my mind.  Went back to xanax alone.  Now I would like to try tapering again for good just using xanax since the vaiium caused severe depression among other sxs.

I am scared since I was so sick on the Ashton taper.  I want to do this very slowly using only xanax and maybe hydroxyzine.  I only hope I won't get severe withdrawals again.  I have consulted a good psychiatrist who agrees to 1.5 mg per day to start with.  I am retired and home so don't work outside the home which helps. 

Thanks for reading - Im afraid of kindling as I start feeling withdrawal sxs,  Taking .5 three

times daily.  May try liquid xanax?

Thanks for reading - Im afraid of kindling as I start feeling withdrawal sxs,  Taking .5 three

times daily.  May try liquid xanax?

Do you think kindling may have played a role in your difficulties with the Valium or do you think what you felt was definitely tied to your reaction to the drug?  I’ve heard the depression can be bad, but most members mention it lifts as they acclimate to it.  I guess if you ended up finishing your taper using Xanax then kindling probably didn’t enter into it.