Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Windows during the night?

[ne...]

Just as the heading shows, I`ve been getting windows in the night.

I wake to use the bathroom and at least 6 times recently I`ve had a window after I get back to bed.  All or most of my usual sx have gone, it`s great.

The windows can happen any time during the night. 2am, 3am, 5 am and even 6 am.  They don`t last long, about 15 minutes but they`re definitely windows. 

Slowly I can feel my sxs kicking in, usually muscle pain starts, it feels chemical. And I`m back to feeling like crap -sigh.

I`ve not seen anyone else mention these nocturnal windows.  Thoughts please or have you had the same.  TY

Down to 1mg diazepam

NCT

I’ve never heard this one, seems unfair to get them at night when you can’t make full use of them or may even sleep through them, what a waste.

I always have had a pattern that around midnight my legs work better and the dystonia gets less active.

No clue why.

I thought it was due to cortisol levels low…

Not sure but even with bad, very bad akathasia around midnight it calmed a bit.

Yes, I have windows almost every evening. It's not where my symptoms disappear completely, but rather everything lightens up in the late evening and in the middle of the night. It's not every night that I get these windows, but it's more often than not. I mentioned this to a naturopath and he also thought it was related to cortisol. He tested my cortisol and it was sky high during the day and just perfect in the evening and at night.

AnnaMeg

Thank you, that sounds just like my journey through this.  Just like you, I don`t get these breaks every night but they`re wonderful when it happens. I feel like I used to, even better than before benzos and if this is what we`ve got to look forward to, I think we`ll enjoy every second of our lives after this.

I`m not too bad when I wake in the morning but then the sxs build, leaving my mornings miserable, but by the evening, the sx go down a bit, they don`t go but I`d say your naturopath knew exactly what they were saying.....its cortisol.

Thanks for replying, wishing us both lower cortisol

NCT

That's me too! Im 64 and for obvious reason have to go at least 3 times x night. Every time those  3 minutes or so of clarity and be myself again are great. The reason in my opinion is that we are totaly relaxed and sleepy. Most of the time I look forward to go to sleep just for those moments. Thank god I can go and get asleep soon and more if I exercise during the day.

Is incredible how certain patterns are comon between benzo sufferers.

Mice

micedana, It`s great to have even that small break.  I`m the same and look forward to bedtime as well.

I saw you reinstated - me too. 

Have you noticed this is worse than the 1st time?

NCT

Yes it is worse than before. I was two years off but I was not doing that well during those years too but well better than now. Reinstatment was hectic the first month to udjust the dose i had to start at 0.750 after trying 0.5. My symptoms were always mostly mental (inrtrusive thoughts, anxiety). Jelly legs and arms use to be mild but are more relevant this time. Now more than a year tapering I reached .120 and I hit a wall.  Regrettebly had to updose all the way to 0.375. and had to switch to pills and leave the liquid that I was using to taper. Now Im getting more stable but still hard. At least I can sleep.

Ie been fighting this situation for almost 6 years now. Most of the time tapering. Very short time terapeutic use. Got into this mess just for digestive issues.

Be extremely carefull with the reductions. There is a lot of mental tricks during the taper phase that can get you. I would go as much slow as possible and holding if there are stressful situations coming. Be obsesed is another issue we have to take this drugs out of our minds.

What kind of mental and physical issues do you have?

Mice

I`m almost off micedana.  I`ve been tapering for a year from 10 mg diazepam, using liquid now and down to almost 0.5 mg, I could jump but I`m going to carry on removing 2ml every day. I should be done next week.

My symptoms-  I think I could be in acute, even though I`m not quite off yet, it certainly feels like it.  I know I`ve gone a bit too fast at the lower doses but it was bad under 2mg anyway so I ploughed on.  I have muscle pain, benzo belly a lot of others but they`re milder , like sore eyes and tinnitus.  Mentally, doom and gloom thoughts are the worst. 

It`s really interesting talking to you, we have a lot in common such as reinstating and the pattern we`re experiencing right now. 

I woke today, felt a bit anxious but not too bad.......then slowly the sxs began to build.  Last evening I was chilling watching a re-run of Downton Abbey and really forgot this mess.  I`ve noticed this is how my pattern`s been going lately.   

Wake - not too bad

Symptoms build

Late afternoon - a bit better

Just about manage to cook dinner

Evening - not great  but certainly much better than earlier

Off to bed- rinse and repeat

What about you micedana?  Are you noticing a pattern? 

NCT

Yes I have patterns too during the day. I regreteably had to updose now at .375 mg as I said and that put me in a depress and frustrating situation. I am parcially stable now but I suffer a bit in the afternoons. At least I can sleep for 5 Hs, thing I couldnt do when I hit the wall at 0.120.

Mornings are mostly ok with some wake up anxiety that I elliminate with a cold shower and breathing exercises. My symptoms are mostly mental. Anxiety, depression,blurred vision more now that I updose, anxiety is the killer. I also have pulsatile tinnitus and thats a very disturbing one. Is not the regular high pitch ,I hear like a swooshing sound in my left ear.

If I were you I would go as slow as I possible can. I know one method doesn fit all but is a very tricky dose where you are now on.

Does the tinnitus show up on you in a particular time?

Did you alwys have that doom and gloom sensation or just during taper/

Well hope what I comment can help you some how!

Keep in touch and be paitient with your taper.

Mice

It`s strange how some of us get more mental sxs and like me, more physical. 

When I came off before, the tinnitus was bad but this time, so far, it`s been milder. Some days it`s completely gone.....but yes I understand the swooshing sound. Mine is like that now as opposed to the screaming sound I had during the CT.    It shows up during a particular bad wave, I`m getting a few humdinger waves at the moment. 

I truly think I`m in acute, even though I`ve got a bit more tapering to do.  I`m using liquid and just above the 0.5mg diazepam mark, so I could jump, but I`ll hang on a little longer.

But I do tend to think we can drag this out and are we doing more damage , the longer we take?  I`ll probably be done by the middle of next week, at under 1mg I feel the drug is nothing much more than a placebo.

No I never had this doom and gloom thing before this, quite the opposite, I`ve always been full of fun and happiness.

Thanks for replying

NCT

In reference to the OP Im trying to understand what happens with our gaba/glutamate cycles during the night to cause a window.  Occasionally, I will awake from sleep to go to the bathroom and I put on my relaxation video and return to sleep.  This morning during a 5 am window I woke and my tinnitus was totally gone, headache was gone and I felt great. Stayed awake for 30 minutes and I had to make a decision to get another couple of hours of sleep or get up and have no T all day.  Sadly I went back to sleep for an hour and a half and my T returned loudly along with head pressure.  It's truly baffling. It has to be neurotransmitter malfunction :)

Cheers,

Alycat

I think it`s the cortisol rhythm Alycat.

Cortisol is lower during the night, Like you I`ve woken at 5am to sxs completely gone, I`ve gone back to sleep as well.  But when I wake the second time, all my horrible stuff is there again.

I`ve begun treasuring these early morning breaks.  I wonder if they`ll get larger/ wider/ longer?  I hope so

NCT

I agree, it's naturally occurring cortisol that overwhelms our Gaba receptors.  I think next time I'll just stay awake because whatever I wake up with, is what I have all day long.  There is no reducing it with meditation or relaxation .....  it just stays.  What a long strange journey we are on trying to understand our bodies and our brains.

Peace,

Alycat

I`ve got a huge belly which only developed during this Alycat.    After googling, belly fat is a symptom of too much cortisol.

I know it`s risky trying supplements but I`m wondering if something may just help this?

I`ll let you know

NCT 

Be carefull with supplements. They all have hidden substances besides de original component. I will try only water or some kind of fruit added to it. Water has to be drink during the day and in moderation. Loose of electrolytes drinking too much is the issue.

Mice,  I wonder if you've hit on something.  I drink a lot of water esp in the evening.  I wonder if electrolyte balance could affect tinnitus?

Tinnitus is mostly due to ear damage by high sound exposure or ototoxic medication. Hyperactive nervous system may also produce it. That's what I think is in our case. My case again is special because is somewhat pulsatile although sometimes the pulsatile sound becomes like a constant static noise. Salt makes it worse.

Again if you drink water it has to be done moderately and adding just a pinch of salt to it may help with the electrolytes. you don't want to drink a litre just at once. Several sips through out the day.

What kind of sound do you guys have with the tinnitus?

NCT how do you cope be in acute and work or do your daily routine. I had to updose to give me a chance to keep working. Otherwise I don't know how it would have gone.

I`ve decided to not risk any supplements but I`ve been looking at green tea.  I`ve bought some, I can`t see how it`ll do any harm, although I`m not sure about that!! 

I have green tea and chamomile but Im not using them.  I also have ginkgo,  NAC,  Magnesium (gummies) Lipoflavenoids and so forth all sitting on my counter because I fear that they will exacerbate symptoms.  Right now Im just hanging in there trying to tolerate my few sxs.  That could always change though.

Alycat