Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

help with wieghing pills please

[ji...]

hello. i apologige for this long post.  ive been on 2. mg of klonopin for uver 25 years and have recently got down to about .25 mgs daily.  my taper has had only a few setbacks.  but im dry cutting my pills and i recently was slamed into full withdrawl after holding at 1/8th of a pill in the am and same dose in pm.  i couldnt understand what happened .  i was reading now that the pills do not have the medicine equally distributed thoughout. i believe that some of the tiny chips may have not had the right amount of klonopin in them.  some people here crush up 10 pills to get an even amoumt.  i know this is all over the place, but if someone could explain to me how you crush and weigh, it would be so greatly appreciated.  ..  god bless    jill

Hi jillybean-

One method which I've used is to weigh 10 pills and divide that number by 10 to get the average weight of each pill.  Rather that crush all ten, I would crush one.  I used Size 00 capsules to pour the powder into using a folded piece of paper.

Here's a thread that should help with the process  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=273984.0

Here's a link to help with the math: https://benzodrytapermath.com/ 

Here's a scale that I and many others have had good luck with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TDNAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hello, jillybean.

First and foremost, congratulations on reducing your dose from 2mg to 0.25mg - that’s a major accomplishment!

As I’m sure you are aware, there are multiple possible reasons for the uptick in symptoms (e.g. you might just be experiencing one of the random periods of awfulness that come during benzo withdrawal and recovery; something in your internal or external environment may have perturbed your nervous system; you may have reached the ‘steep part’ of the dose reduction curve where very small dose reductions result in very large changes in receptor occupancy).

Brighterday has shared several excellent resources.

Here’s a video that shows how one individual used the crush-and-weigh technique to prepare 7 days of doses at a time using 0.5mg clonazepam tablets:

Micro tapering Benzodiazapine

FYI We also have several members who have used/are using the shave-and-weigh technique successfully with 0.5mg clonazepam tablets (e.g. hereforhelp, Rocknroll, TheSunAlsoRises).

libertas and brighter day~~~  thank you so much for the helpful information...  i thought i was smoothly reaching the end of my taper and glad to be doing well on  a much lower dose and bam....i felt like i cold turkeyed myself.  im now having horrible new symptoms that ive not had during the past few years.  this really through me for a loop.  been to the er twice to have weird symptoms checked out.  im hoping to get stable and then with the help of the info you both have provided to me, get back on track.    thank you both again~~  god bless    jill

I'm sorry your symptoms have intensified.  I'm glad to see you say you're hoping to get stabilized before starting the next leg of your taper.  I think holding at your current dose for a couple of weeks makes a lot of sense.  As Libertas said, congratulations on your progress in tapering so far!

Jillybean,  you’ve accomplished so much after 25 years of use.  You should be so proud.  I agree with all methods of cutting and weighing above.  I am not sure if you have access or mentioned to you doctor but have you considered a liquid compound?  I was able to find a compounding pharmacy here in Canada in my town (only 1 pharmacy out of about 6).  It was an absolute lifesaver once I got to 0.175 mg and I wish I had started it sooner.