Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Your experiences - how long after skipping pregabalin dose w/d starts?

[Mi...]

Hello,

my mom is taking pregabalin for 2 months as and "aid" for reinstated benzos after 4 years being clean. The problem is this drug makes her really depressive, confused, apathetic and more. The point is she once skipped her midday dose (3 x 25 mg), she felt better within two hours and she felt (relatively) good till her nightly dose. She felt at ease for the first time in 3 months. And I found info on some blog:

"test out if you will experience withdrawal when you want to get off the stuff. On one of your doses, take one capsule less than you usually do. You’ll know in about 5-6 hours how bad the withdrawal is for you. Some people have no problems with decreasing the dose while others, like myself, experience significant withdrawal..."

So the point is Im constantly thinking wether maybe she is the one that can tolerate this drugs w/d (sounds too wonderful tho since she is generally sensitive to all kind of meds) without greater consequences? So Id be glad for some feedback; when did you notice first symptoms of w/d after you stopped your dose of pregabalin?. Thanks for any insight.

Before I started tapering Ativan my dr gave me Pregabalin as a replacement for Ativan.  I took it for about 4 days but had to stop because it froze my brain.  My IQ dropped about 50 points.  When I stopped taking it I had horrific anxiety.  Like around the time I was to take my dose my brain would really want it and I got really really anxious.  It took months for me to shake the Pregabalin even though I had only taken it a few days.  So the wdl started shortly after I didn’t take my dose.

It sounds like your mom  is not having that big a problem reducing lyrica which is a good sign.  I hope the best for your mom.