Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Liquid solution for almost 2 weeks, very sick

[So...]

Hey guys, please don't pay attention to my signature.  I know they are important but I'm sure some of you will understand- I am very sick right now and trying hard to even type this.  I reinstated my benzo a few months ago (mistake, I know) and am tapering again.  My question is, I swapped to a compounded pharmacy solution from pills to .9mg klonopin/day.  About 6 days after the swap I started getting very very sick and it's all been downhill from there.  My akathisia is so much worse, so much adrenaline, muscle twitching, feels like I'm about to have delirium honestly. 

Is it possible the liquid is throwing me into some kind of CT like state?  I honestly feel like I did during my first withdrawal x10 right now.  Also the days are very mimicked, I felt that wd after 6 days as well.  I can swap back to tablets, I just honestly didn't anticipate this and I'm very sick.  Sorry if this is confusing

Hey Soapybits, don't worry, nobody is judging you for reinstating. I have reinstated myself ( and yeah, it was a mistake  :-[ ). Anyway, did you by any chance also reduce your dose while switching mediums? Normally it's best to wait until your nervous system adapts to the change, and then cut. That being said, there are members on the forum that had WD sxs intensify only by switching benzo brands. Crazy, I know.

Hello, Soapybits.

new0girl has asked an excellent question - when you switched to the liquid, did you also make a reduction in dose (or did you hold your dose constant)?

Some individuals experience the switch to liquid as a reduction in dose; others report differences in onset and/or duration of action.  (If you feel you might be experiencing the switch as a reduction in dose, you could consider slowly titrating your dose upward to see if that helps — for example, you could try a 2.5% increase to begin).

Some individuals take a week or two to adjust to the change in dosage form.

And, some individuals simply do not tolerate some liquid dosage forms.  Do you know what formulation the compounding pharmacist used?  What was used as the source of the active pharmaceutical ingredient - regular tablets or pure drug powder?  If tablets, were they from the same manufacturer you had been using?  What are the other ingredients in the compound?  Might you be reacting negatively to any of these ingredients?

Addendum:

Another possibility to consider would be to use a combination of tablets and liquid.  For example, if your current dosing schedule is 0.45mg twice a day for a total daily dose of 0.9mg … you could split a 0.5mg tablet in two and take 0.25mg in tablet form and 0.2mg in liquid form twice a day.

Hey guys, please don't pay attention to my signature.  I know they are important but I'm sure some of you will understand- I am very sick right now and trying hard to even type this.  I reinstated my benzo a few months ago (mistake, I know) and am tapering again.  My question is, I swapped to a compounded pharmacy solution from pills to .9mg klonopin/day.  About 6 days after the swap I started getting very very sick and it's all been downhill from there.  My akathisia is so much worse, so much adrenaline, muscle twitching, feels like I'm about to have delirium honestly. 

Is it possible the liquid is throwing me into some kind of CT like state?  I honestly feel like I did during my first withdrawal x10 right now.  Also the days are very mimicked, I felt that wd after 6 days as well.  I can swap back to tablets, I just honestly didn't anticipate this and I'm very sick.  Sorry if this is confusing

Hi Soapybits

Don`t beat yourself up for reinstating, there`s more people doing this than you realise.  I`ve got 4 friends over on Facebook who`ve reinstated far off, like me.  I regret it but what`s done is done. 

I came off CT the 1st time and this IS better than that but still very symptomatic.

Anyway I was given liquid diazepam to help and mixed mine with pills.  So when I got to 3mg, I`d use a 2mg pill plus liquid .

The equivalent of 2.50 ml liquid is  2 mg according to the instructions on my bottle of liquid.  It took me a while to work out the maths of that but once I got my head around it , it all worked fine. 

Hope you have an easier time