Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Does it end?

[Mo...]

Hello.

Quick back story. I was on triazolam .5 mg for 8 years due to insomnia. I had to quit cold turkey as it was basically killing me. Fun times. I was not able to tolerate V or K for tapering purposes. I am 40 some odd days into this.

Over all I think i am doing ok. By comparison to before I stopped I m better. Was initially being diagnosed with dementia, Parkinson's, psychosis and bi polar. All that is better now. Many of the physical issues are at tolerable levels and I sleep 20 hours a day.

The issue I am struggling with is what I call "frozen from fright". It's a CONSTANT feeling of terror that has no explanation. It's not a mental thing, it's physiological. My body reacts as if I am in mortal danger ALL THE TIME. It's so extreme that I am unable to function at all. Just going from bedroom to bathroom sets off a panic attack?? This is absurd, I KNOW it's absurd. My brain says fight through it but my body says "nope, not today" and just goes bonkers. Anyone else dealt with this? Has it gone away for you? Just kind of looking for some hope that this too will go away. I know am very early in this process and am thankful that I am doing as well as I am, but WOW!! This is just unbearable, being literally afraid of my own shadow. Never been afraid of things in my life.

Thanks for any feedback and I hope every one of you are doing better today than you were yesterday.

The fear is overwhelming, isn’t it?  I was afraid of things I’d never given a second thought to, but it wasn’t only fear, I fussed about things that were so inconsequential, there was literally no reason to dwell on but I did.  I think I may have had it easier than you though because I didn’t have panic attacks, just constant adrenaline surges.

How are you sleeping 20 hours a day feeling that way?

I'm not sure honestly. I am just so fatigued. I see it as a blessing. When I'm sleeping, I don't feel it. But I starts before I even open my eyes.

In turns out that the benzo I was on is used for conscious sedation. According to numerous sleep studies done while I was on it, I NEVER went in to REM sleep. Nobody thought it might be the med causing it. Maybe I am just making for 8 years of sub par sleep. At this point, I'll take it. Only time m at peace

Pamster,

The panic attacks are horrendous! I have dealt pretty Good with all the other symptoms but these are awful. They started in January when I apparently hit tolerance and have jut gotten worse since I stopped the med. Not having control over it is really taking its toll. Breathing, meditating etc aren't doing a thing for these