Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Starting Liquid Diazepam Taper - Nervous

[Fi...]

I'm picking up liquid DZ on this week to start a liquid micro taper.

I'm nervous about the logistics.  Do I need a special tube or beaker or dropper that's more medical then sold in the pharmacies?

To answer your question, we need to know more about your current status and plans …

What is your current total daily dose and dosing schedule (how many milligrams of drug do you take at what times)?

Are you planning to use all liquid or a combination of tablets and liquid?

What is the concentration of the liquid you are getting?

Do you plan to dilute the liquid or use it ‘as is’?

I'm tapering of 5 mg of DZ, taken at bedtime.

Starting with 2mg dry, 3 mg liquid.

The liquid is 1:1, and I will be tapering that.

My plan was to spend 2 weeks acclimatizing to the liquid (have only been on dry in the past).

Then, I was going to dilute the liquid at a rate of 5% every 2 weeks, approximately, paying attention to my symptoms.

I'm nervous about the physical process of diluting it.

I just use a syringe to draw it up.  The pharmacist gave me two sizes.  I’m also doing a combo tablet and liquid.  Felt no difference at all.  Good luck to ya. :)

Oh and I’m not going to dilute-  I don’t want to obsess over teeny amts unless I hit a snag.  See my signature.

Alycat

Thank you for the additional information, FirstTaper.

As Alycat has noted, you do not necessarily have to dilute the liquid.

Indeed, for a 5% reduction from 5mg to 4.75mg, you could:

Take 2mg in tablet form + 2.75mL in liquid form

You can easily measure 2.75mL using a 3mL oral syringe (or if you don’t have that, you could use a 1mL oral syringe).

Being able to simply draw it without diluting it makes it sound infinitely easier.

I guess the dilution would come into play when down to 1mg?

Just did first liquid dose.

I have shaky hands, and was trying to be very very careful, yet just taking the cap off the bottle, drops fell off, which made me even more nervous.

It's such a precise delicate process, which doesn't go well with shaky hands.

(Hand tremors can also be a benzo wd symptom, which is even more frustrating.)

A bit worried about extracting the precise liquid as the amount in the bottle gets lower, but I have a few weeks prep.

Shaky hands definitely make using an oral syringe more challenging but, with practice, you’ll get the hang of it.

Did the pharmacy provide you with an appropriately sized press-in bottle adapter? If not, I suggest you contact the pharmacy to request one.  These devices make measuring liquids with a syringe much easier.

Here’s a short video on how to insert and use an adapter: