Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Spinach

[Pi...]

[a7...]

Hi PG

I’m not sure why you would react to fresh spinach, and not can spinach, but I can tell you that Spinach itself is super high in Amines (histamine), Salicylate, and Glutamate.

Well that makes sense why I am a mess tonight.... I ate a lot of spinach tonight.....UGH... Seems I cannot eat anything these days....

Not sure if it matters as well, but spinach leaves also hold on to pesticides more than most veggies...  :( Hang in there!

Thanks PG for the post, it really helped me. Spinach is also high in oaxalates and iron. My iron was a bit low on my last blood test, and I don't eat meat, so I started loading up on spinach...and began feeling more crappy. Recently I baked a cake for someone, but I messed up on the recipe and put in twice as much cocoa! It was horrible - my daughter howled when she tasted it. Even so, I kept cutting off little squares of  it as I walked by - and once again, felt really bad. Cocoa is full of oaxalates, as well. Got rid of the cake, and we're all better for it..Thanks again

[a7...]

Thanks PG for the post, it really helped me. Spinach is also high in oaxalates and iron. My iron was a bit low on my last blood test, and I don't eat meat, so I started loading up on spinach...and began feeling more crappy. Recently I baked a cake for someone, but I messed up on the recipe and put in twice as much cocoa! It was horrible - my daughter howled when she tasted it. Even so, I kept cutting off little squares of  it as I walked by - and once again, felt really bad. Cocoa is full of oaxalates, as well. Got rid of the cake, and we're all better for it..Thanks again

Hi Tall Girl

Yes… it’s also high in oxalates, but I didn’t want to complicate things by focussing on too many potential issues. My post was focussed on symptoms more linked to histamine and salicylate, as oxalate symptoms are slightly different than H & S. But ‘yes’, oxalates can be an issue also. If you can get away with eating things like white potato, sweet potato, white rice, oatmeal… etc, then oxalates are most likely not the culprit, and more likely to be histamine or salicylate. The best way to test is to eat other foods high in oxalate, but, low in histamine and salicylate to determine which is more likely to be the problem with spinach or cocoa.