Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

[st...]

I'm tapering from Klonopin .5 & 1/2.  Been on for 1 year.  Severe side effects enhanced my decision to get off.

Hi strong23!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're so glad you're here but very sorry to hear about the side effects you're experiencing. Have you already started your taper and what symptoms do you have? Generally we recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose every two weeks or so but it's best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. This should allow you to remain functional. Our community has a lot of knowledge and experience to support and guide you through this.

Here are some links to get you started:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Add your history/signature

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!

I'm tapering from Klonopin .5 & 1/2.  Been on for 1 year.  Severe side effects enhanced my decision to get off.

Welcome to BB, I had the same reason for finally quitting the 1 mg tablet I've been given for 35 years.  I thought I couldn't live without it, especially when I quit cold turkey in 2010, and felt I was headed for a padded cell.  Went back on it within a few days, luckily, the MD re-prescribed it.  I don't think I would have survived the wd sxs without his help. 

Problem was, I kept getting more and more sxs and didn't connect them to the benzos.  Tried to taper (with the doctor) and he cut me too fast and I had some sort of seizure, whole left side went numb for 3 days.  That was just 2 Summers ago.  Doc put me back on the 1 mg.  I'm 70 so can't say it's all the benzo but I believe it is because of similar stories etc.

I've learned a lot here, it's taken time because my brain doesn't work like it should, but I so believe in slow tapers.  I recently started one and I'm doing very well, even at my age.  So glad you are here, stick with us and I'll put one or two links that have helped me the most, Denise :thumbsup:

"What is Going on in Your Brain?" http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.msg2977793#msg2977793

Colin's "About Me", also stories of others that went before me on same link, http://www.benzobuddies.org/about-us/meet-the-team/#colin