Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Wanting to start lorazepam taper

[ze...]

Hello, what is the recommended taper schedule for benzos? I've read that the Ashton method is actually too fast.

Hello zeromg - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We'll be glad to help you plan a careful taper off lorazepam.  You'll find plenty of good information here.  This is a community that understands what this process is like.

We encourage you to take your time familiarizing yourself with the site.  Please feel free to post with your questions. 

I suggest you start a thread with your taper questions on Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Other links to help you get started:

url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=145.0]Withdrawal Support (during your taper)[/url]

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Add your history/signature

We're glad you joined us -

Brighterday

Thank you. I got the answer to my original question. I'm wondering now how small the compounding pharmacies can make the dose decreases for lorazepam. Towards the end of the taper, are we decreasing by thousandths of a milligram, hundredths, or what?

Hi zeromg

The lowest reductions we usually make is 0.001mg. It becomes extremely difficult to make smaller reductions than this and still be somewhat accurate.

You may want to check out this board and see what dose people are aiming to end with - Ativan Tapering Thread

Also, dude 66 has posted about his water taper off lorazepam http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=206467;area=showposts

If you want input on your taper I think you'll get more responses if you start a thread on  the taper board - it gets more traffic than the Introductions board: Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Thanks. Wow that's really small. The tapers must take years.

Just because we can doesn't mean we do. At the higher doses we taper bigger at the smaller doses we taper smaller. I only started tapering 0.001mg (every day for 7 days holding 3 days) once I reached 0.125mg. This took me roughly 4 months to taper. Some people even go faster at the lower numbers. It all depends on your symptoms and whether you can remain functional.