Important Survey - Please Participate ×

It is what it is.

[Bu...]

I am 60 yrs old and have been on rx benzos since 1994.

I was rxed clonipin and then rx changed to valium .

I have childhood PTSD , major depressive disorder,  GAD and borderline personality.

I have been on Valium 5 mg at bedtime since 2010. Psych NP dropped me to 2 mg at the end of Feb 2023. I had to move out of state and new Dr has given me one month to detox.

I have "experimented" with using grapefruit juice to extend the systemic presence of the drug.

I pray ALOT.

I am looking for wise ways to use the tools at hand to make my detox tolerable, minimize my suffering and maximize my blessings.

My goal is to come up w a realistic and simple way to successfully withdraw from valium.

I am beyond grateful for having found this thread .

I need all the support I can get.

God's got this. Peace be upon each of us.

Hello Buddette - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  I'm sorry your new doctor has put you in this position and forcing you to taper off Valium over a period of one month.  You will find information and support here to help you come up with a sensible tapering plan you can present to your doctor.  Hopefully this will persuade the doc to work with you collaboratively to get off Valium.

To support your case with the doctor you may want to print this and present it at your appointment: Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Here are a few more links you can start with.  Please be sure to ask lots of questions and reach out for support.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

We're glad you've joined us!

Brighterday

Day 1- took 1 mg diazepam last night w water.

No withdrawal symptoms.

Found BenzoBuddies.

Hello and thank you Brighterday!

I am so grateful to have found this group.

I took only 1 mg last night.

I am not having any side effects at this point.

I am taking propranolol 20 mg three times a day to help manage panic attack side effects of benzo withdrawal.

Interesting to note, my new Dr was not aware of the Ashton Protocol.smh

He said that I was a "trainwreck" that landed on his doorstep. I corrected him and told him I was a VICTIM of benzo injury and as a patient I deserve to be treated with RESPECT.

( I have been an RN BSN since 1985 and I will no longer hold my tongue to stroke egos.)

Western Medicines response to coVid was a crime against humanity and any respect I had for traditional western medicine is GONE.FUCK THEM.

So I put new Dr in his place, told him he had to respect me and trust my subjective data.

Smh

I am only going to take 1 mg of Valium as I need it, and may take it w pepcid or grapefruit juice to maximize it's levels in my body.

For MANY years I taught my patients about why grapefruit juice is "contraindicated" with "medicines". Grapefruit juice delays the breakdown of the medications and thus the meds stay in your system longer and can be more effective in their desired goals. ie: lipid lowering agents,statins- if taken w grapefruit juice will cause cholesterol to drop more efficiently, and heaven forbid you don't need their medication any longer. Smh

I do not bow to the altar of big pharma and am committed to eliminating benzos from my body. I have no idea how awesome life can be without them, but I have a suspicion that some of my depression may be lifted.

Btw, I have been microdosing psylocibin for my depression and it really is miraculous. Marijuana(1/2gram smoked) helps calm and clear my mind.

I have often wondered about ibogaine and Ayahuasca for help w benzo withdrawal, alas these are adjunctive treatments that I have not tried.

I am so grateful for this forum.

I WILL find my way . God is at the helm of this adventure for me and you all are my commrades in arms.

Peace be unto each of you.

Hi Budette,

Nice to meet you.  I appreciate your experience and current take on establishment.  I always wondered about the grapefruit juice warnings.  I've even seen some that warn against Prep H.  I was booked to try ayahuasca to try to do something for grief/depression.  As it turns out that is how I discovered I was dependent on benzo.  You have to be off benzos for 30 days before participating.  It has something to do with the gaba receptors.  I am interested in psychedelic therapy.  Maybe when this benzo "journey" ahem is over.