Important Survey - Please Participate ×

this has been a four year battle

[ke...]

I have been tapering my morning dose for the past year and started having side effects of more anxiety.  I had no-one to tell me to go back up and wait so I had another withdrawal.  All the panic attacks happened in the car so it is extremely hard to ride in the car.

Hello kellytree, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry you haven't had anyone to bounce ideas off of, that's the beauty of a support group, we check in for suggestions and the combined experience of our members helps us stay on the right path.  What drug are you taking and what dose, have you ever discontinued benzo's before and how long have you been taking it?

We usually suggest reducing your dose by about 5-0-10% every couple of weeks but using your symptoms to guide you works even better.

I'll supply some links to help you get started on the forum but please let us know a little bit more about your situation so we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

I am extremely sensitive to any medication unfortunately.  In November I was crushing .25mg and putting it in 4oz. of water.  I was down to one ounce taking off a teaspoon at a time.  When I got to 4 teaspoons I became anxious but no-one said to go back up.  That is when I had the withdrawal.  Now three months later I have found a well know  psychiatrist and he has told me to go back to .25mg to stop the panic attacks in the car.  He would like to put me on a SNRI The only two I can take has a lot of side effects Pristig and Fetzima. Or he said to stay on Ativan. So what to do?

Those panic attacks in the car are dangerous, your doctor may be right in having you go back up in dose but maybe you won’t have to go all the way back up, perhaps add a little at a time to see where you function the best.

We have many members on antidepressants but I worry you’re not stable enough right now to start on one.  I’m sure you know from experience there can be start up side effects and if your central nervous system is already sensitized from the rapid taper, it could mean more misery. Hopefully you can get stable on the benzodiazepine, which one is it by the way?

I took a swab test and the only ones I could take are Prestiq and Fetzima.  I don't really want to take either one because they have a lot of side effects.  Does anyone have sweating during the night?

I was actually asking about which benzodiazepine you’re on, I don’t think you shared that yet. 

Sweating is common, so is burning and severe chills, the symptoms we get are insane and certainly make us feel that way.