Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

STARTING Birth Control During Taper

[Na...]

I searched and saw a lot of info about stopping birth control but not much about starting it. My gyno wants to start me on a continuous use birth control pill to help with endometriosis and PMDD symptoms (it has worked well for me in the past). It would likely be a progesterone based pill like yaz, same dose daily, intended to be taken for many years into the future and to skip periods entirely. Has anyone STARTED taking birth control while tapering? Or has anyone taken birth control to specifically skip periods during your entire taper? My symptoms get much much worse around my periods so I am hoping that skipping those would actually make my taper easier? Dealing with both issues at the same time has been rough and I need some relief from somewhere if I can get it. (Background started at 50mg V,  currently at 15mg V, tapering for 11 months now, fairly stable but not "good"). Thanks for any information you can offer me!

Edit: I started Yaz shortly after this post. It's been a really great move for me personally. Having PMDD with benzo withdrawal is not easy, this has taken that challenge away completely. The first 2 months I did experience nausea and breast tenderness. The nausea was helped by taking it with food. Both symptoms have resolved since thrn though and I haven't had any issues. I take active pills continuously but even so, I did get breakthrough bleeding that wouldn't resolve and had stop and get my period. I was afraid the progesterone withdrawal would be horrible but honestly it was slightly easier than my normal PMS was before. Not saying it will work for everyone but it's been a big positive for me.

Edited by [Na...]
Update

I don't know for sure but it feels like many of our members are past reproductive age so it's not easy to find posts with questions like yours although if you use the search function, you may find some information, I hope so.  

• Like 2