Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Accidental dependant on Clonazepam after 2 months of use

[oz...]

Hi there!

I am from Australia, and I started talking Clonazepam to help me with tremendous anxiety before my new SSRI started to work (Paxil). I had an unplanned financial struggle and I stopped Agomelatine at the same time, being on Sertraline before the Agomelatine. The Agomelatine didn't help at all with the anxiety. My uninformed doctor just prescribed it, told me to stop the Agomelatine cold turkey more or less, wait a few days and start taking the Paxil. And when I told him I might become dependant since it takes 4-6 weeks for the SSRI to work he just said... 'then we'll taper you'.. I didn't object since I didn't realise it was that hard!! (I tapered from Sertraline and it was nothing like what I read online on benzos, after years of taking it I did it in 2 months and only had some restless leg for a week after jumping)

My mum, after 28 days of taking klonopin, got very scared and asked me to stop taking it or at least half it. I tried to reduce to half what I was taking (just over 2mg) and started having horrible sleep disturbances, including psychosis when I woke up suddenly and had weird thoughts and unable to go back to sleep, as well as 'electricity' in the hands and feet. It took 6 days of that and I went to ER where they finally gave me the 'OK' to go back to 2mg and after that I was able to sleep again.

Now I am 'stable' on 2mg and Paxil 30mg and started tapering off so now on 1.86 (%7) reduction. The psychaitrist that saw me thought it's OK I'll stay on 1 dose before bedtime for sleep as this is how I was taking it in the last month, I I take the Paxil in the morning. I am getting better every day in the last week, although still have lows during the day, the mornings are especially usually hard. The evenings, before I take the klonopin, are surprisingly good and this is when I feel normal (around 7pm-9pm). Today I was a bit depressed but it was minimal compared to the previous days. I am starting to enjoy things again. I had horrible 7 weeks before that, with anxiety and depression. I also started learning ACT and CBT, through the 'the hapiness trap' book and mindspot, and will start having telehealth psychology soon I hope.

I am afraid to 'switch' to Valium and taper from that because I read somwhere that Paxil and Valium don't 'mix', and second because the psychiatrist told me some people have a reaction to Valium and if I'm stable on the Klonopin I should keep taking it. David from the Beating Benzos facebook group also said I should keep on the Klonopin but gave me a tapering plan but its very slow. I am confused as to why after only 2 months I need to taper over almost a year or more (the tapering is 'log shaped') as I have only taken it a short time and not 20 years as some do.

I am worried about tapering using the Gemini 20 scale as it seems not very accurate, the weight keeps changing by a few mgs and it won't be sustainable in the long run, the pill being so tiny. even the pills themselves seem to be anything between 150-157mg.

I saw a video on youtube of someone who did milk microtapering and was very successful having almost no WD symptoms. He however didn't use a 'log curve' and just removed 0.5ml every day from 200ml of milk, he was on 0.5mg only of k. I created a 'log curve' version of his system on google sheets (so every day removing %1 of the previous day's dose for example, and I can change of course to 0.7% etc if I want to go slower). I would like to consult with the people here about this approach. The guy also divided it to 4 parts to drink during the day. I wonder if I should do it or just take it whole before bed (Like I do now dry tapering) and in the morning take the Paxil as it seems to work in the last few days.

Hello ozbuddy :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies, 

We are glad you joined the forum.  It doesn't take long for the body to become dependent on benzodiazepines, it can happen in a few weeks.  I am glad you had little trouble coming off sertraline, some people struggle.  I am delighted you are feeling okay and It’s a good thing you are learning ACT and CBT.  You don’t need to switch to diazepam,  many members successfully taper off Klonopin.  We have members using  the Gemini scales, I am sure they will advise you.  It doesn’t seem to matter how long we have been using this drug, some short termers can struggle just the same.  You will learn more about taper methods if you check out the taper plans board.  We can help you with tapering information and support, slow and careful is the best way with these drugs. 

It’s suggested to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days. You can slow it down, I would taper at a rate that’s suitable for you, whatever feels comfortable.  You will learn more about tapering if you post to the taper boards.  Please feel free to check out the resources and to post questions. 

A good resource about benzodiazepines is the Ashton Manual, finding the manual was a huge part of me getting well again.  It took away a lot of fear, and helped me to keep going.  It’s  great for learning about benzodiazepines and the effects they have on the body, CHAPTER III , It was reassured learning that the withdrawal symptoms were temporary.

Here a few links to resources:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

You might like to post here:

Klonopin Klub 

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Ozbuddy-

I'm up in the States and have family in QLD-and been on several Holidays there- I once was running a few days short on Klonopin so I went to a local Doctor and Chemist- This was 15 years ago perhaps-

Klonopin was made in the 60's as a Anti-Semirural drug and took over barbiturates. It was never intended on becoming an off label drug for anxiety or panic or sleep or restless legs. Your Medical System is quite different than ours some in good waays. One being- they dont dispense 30 day supplies for pain meds and for panic meds etc.. they just suppl a week at the most I recall but I only need 3 days- He said he was Ok with it but its not used for that there-

Unless you all are getting street sellers of drugs like here your drugs for mentioned do not sound like the way they do things there- Medical is generally free so you can get small supplies as needed and just.

It sounds like Aus's Mental Health has run a muck? That's Paxil- and Zoloft and Klonopin and another anti depresent they are giving you all at once and your body and brain does not know what is going on?

Accidental or not- you need to find a Doctor who specializes in Mental drugs or check your self into a Hospital and let them detox you under supervision as you got yourself wrapped up in 4-5 meds not totally know whats doing what-

I cant speak for them there- but I would think Paxil would have been something they started you on?

Klonopin as many Countries is strictly for Seizures

Good Luck