Important Survey - Please Participate ×

5 months off of valium, a mixed bag

[ba...]

Hi all,

I was on valium for 8 years. First for anxiety, then also for muscle spasms. I got off of valium completely 5 months ago. I didn’t do a complete taper, and the first two months were incredibly painful and difficult.

In retrospect, I can see I became uncharacteristically depressed in months 2-4. The depression lifted this month and in some ways I feel more myself than ever. In other ways, I feel like a relative stranger to myself. I suspect this disorientation has to do with withdrawal.

In the past two weeks, an intense and painful anxiety has set in. It is completely disabling me. My doctor prescribed lorazepam and in my discomfort I nearly filled it, but then it dawned on me that this bout of severe anxiety could still be withdrawal. That gives me some comfort but is also a little scary. I won’t fill the prescription and I’ll wait it out but i am severely struggling with anxiety and panic, and hoping desperately for relief.

I would appreciate camaraderie and any form of support or wisdom you have! Thank you.

Hello barbarastacks and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on quitting valium - I'm sorry you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  You're wise to recognize that the anxiety and depression that have followed are very likely symptoms.  These are typical and common symptoms in withdrawal.  Anxiety in benzo withdrawal is a whole other order of magnitude from typical anxiety.  But like all withdrawal symptoms, it is temporary.  It may take some time to heal from this, as you recognize but you will find information, tips and support here that will help you get through this.  This site is a lifeline for many of us - it certainly was for me.

It's very good news that you resisted the lorazepam your doctor prescribed.  It would have complicated and prolonged your recovery.  Please tell us more about how you got off valium. Can you expand on what you mean when you say you didn't do a complete taper?

Now that you're registered please feel free to explore the site and post with questions about your situation.  I'll give you some links below to help you get started.

We're glad you're here - please be sure to reach out for support!

Brighterday

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

Im no expert but YES I think it's withdrawal! I get bouts of awful depression, deep dark unbearable depression and only two weeks ago the most crushing anxiety!!.. and then it lifts. It's the same with most of my symptoms ( our symptoms) . Please steer clear of antidepressants.When I came off mine I became violent ( to myself only) and I did taper, albeit quite quickly

Congratulations on making it to month 5! An enormous accomplishment!

Many people, myself included, report a surge of symptoms such as anxiety/panic around month 4-6. You can look at it like regression before progression. Nonetheless, hopefully this is the final ‘surge’ which will lead to recovery in a matter of weeks!!!

If the anxiety/panic becomes just unlivable I would really, really, really encourage you not to take the Lorazepam as there are other ‘safer’ options like Hydroxyzine. If anything you might want to try a microdose for a couple of days and see if it helps.

That being said, there is no shame in reinstating at 5 months if your symptoms are unbearable and you have zero quality of life. No shame as many have to go that route. At a certain point enough is enough but you, and only you, have a PhD in your body.

Sending you luck and prayers that recovery is around the corner!! 🙏

hello barbarastacks

Well done to you at 5 months, symptoms can take quite some time to settle down. I know how scary this is, most of us were scared. I feared everything, my anxiety was extreme, I couldn't leave my home.    Anxiety is one of the top most common symptoms.  Try and distract, go for a walk if you are able, or listen to relaxing tapes, read, anything to take your mind off withdrawal symptoms, you will come through this I promise you.  Reinstating doesn't always work, and then you still have to taper,  If you are finding it unbearable, then consider it, but I would hang in there, It will get better given more time.

Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

We have a dedicated board dealing with Anxiety issues, you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

Magrita :smitten: