Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Anyone tapered Seroquel / Quetiapine successfully?

[Re...]

I have had some HORRENDOUS experiences tapering Seroquel/Quetiapine. Worse than benzos by far. You can check my posts for more info. Really, I could write a horror movie.

I recently started tapering 5 percent every month or two weeks to see how it would go. I am holding right now. I take the 28.5mg in liquid form at 10:30 pm nightly. I have held the decreases through the worst times and haven't updosed.

Rather than adding another medicine that none of my doctors want me to do, a new doctor who actually understands this drug thought I might take the 28.5mg dose and divide it up during the day. His reasoning is to see if it helps the symptoms overall and makes it easier to taper. I have listed the symptoms below. New doctor said he thinks I have withdrawal akathisia and dyskinesia.

I understand BenzoBuddies are not medical professionals...That being said, many of you have tapered this drug successfully, and some have had hard times and have tapered successfully as well.

I am wondering:

1. Has anyone done this method due to bad sxs? How did it work for you?

2. Anything I might not be thinking about or aware of when making a change like this?

3. Once I make a dose change, could I be stuck on it even if it doesn't work well?

4. There is a chance it could also get easier, right?

Here is what the new doc proposed in terms of dose change:

9am - 7mg

1pm - 7mg

5pm-7mg

10pm-7.5mg + 3mg melatonin

I had the following in mind: more medicine to aid sleep while going through this. Insomnia, on top of everything else, would not be sustainable. I already have broken sleep due to the aka and an inability to do anything to rest during the day.

8am - 4mg

12p - 4mg

4p - 4mg

8p - 4mg

10:30p - 12.5mg + 3mg melatonin

Current symptoms include:

--The akathisia, which goes in a hill and valley pattern, hasn't gone completely since benzos and has gotten physically worse with the last drop and now includes a feeling like my chest is going to explode or limbs could explode. It's a horrific adrenaline rush that starts in the chest and spreads

-- Inner vibration

--Pins and needles all over skin

--Numb hands

--Muscles feel like wood

--When eyes are closed, eyelids jump around more than usual

--Slight lower face/mouth twitch

--Feeling of tin inside of nose like a burning sensation

--Tinnitus from the benzo or Gabapentin used for benzo wd. Tinnitus almost was gone then I had to take Benadryl to aid with the dyskinesia, and it got louder now is back to the baseline of going away