Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Introduction for Chrystell

[Ch...]

I had my first panic attack when I was 13.    It was ten years until I found out what was happening to me when I read about a panic attack in an advice column.  I was fortunate that I only had panic attacks at night before I fell asleep.  It was another ten years until I finally pursued medical attention for depression and anxiety.  I was immediately prescribed Prozac for depression and Lorazepam for the anxiety.  At that time the Lorazepam prescription allowed me to take up to 4mg per day as needed.  And that is how I used the medication for the next many, many years.  I saw several different doctors throughout that time and they were all keep the Lorazepam prescription the same dosage.  I didn't often need 4mg per day however, it was always on hand and available.  Then about 4 years ago at the start of the pandemic a new doctor I was seeing, of course was appalled at the dosage available to me.  This doctor would only prescribe 2 mg per day.  I managed to get through 3 years but in August I got COVID.  Since then I started to get panic attacks at anytime during the day including waking up during the night in a panicked state.  The fact that I did not have enough Lorazepam made me all the more anxious and suspectable to panic attacks.  These last 8 months have been the worst for me since the panic can come anytime day or night.  Sometimes I wake up during the night already in a state of panic.  Other times, shortly after I wake up I begin to panic for some reason.  Since I have been taking Larazepam for such a long time I need 2mg to get through a panic attack.  Therefore, there are many days in which I do bot have any anxiety medication to take because I have already used my dosage.  I have sought the help of a Psychiatic PA and she recommended that I look into this support group.  Since recently the panic attacks have increased in occurrence and severity, I believe that this group will help me to understand my strong dependency on this particular benzodiazepine.  Thank you for considering me for this group.  I am only beginning the process so I am appreciative for any chance to get some support and understanding. 

Hello Chrystell, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so sorry to hear about your panic attacks, and sorry your dose was reduced leaving you with even more.  The thing with benzo's is they begin to cause what we take them for when our body becomes dependent, they cause anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia and many other conditions so even though you did well on the Lorazepam for awhile, I believe its causing you problems now.

Benzo's were never meant to be a long term solution, they're only recommended by the manufacturer to be used for up to 4 weeks but even that it too long for some, I've seen dependence happen in 10 days. 

I feel a taper from this drug is your only option, especially with the increased negative attention the drug is getting since the opioid situation.  We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but using your symptoms as a guide will hopefully keep you functional.

I'll provide some links to the forum and other resources but please  let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado  Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning  Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list