Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Coming off a borderline long-term xanax usage. It's rough

[ha...]

Hello. I was prescribed 2mg xanax a day for 3months following a brain injury. I was aware of the dangers but it somehow didn't save me. Ironic, right? I have been off a week. I also need to know whether or not I should be tapering..? I feel somewhat OK... not terrible. I didn't take the xanax every day but I used it weekly for sure. It's hard to say as my memory has been rather poor. I feel i'm coming out of the benzo fog.. but I have to say.. my god, the worst symptom of all has been a terrible, terrible Tinnitus. Does this get better? I only used for 3 months! And not everyday. The ringing in my ears is a single tone, loud enough to be heard over some music. I need to know it will get better because this is rough.

Hello harpxq, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Yes, tinnitus is horrible and caused by the drug, most of us get it but for some it's worse.  Mine faded before I completely recovered, for some, its the last symptom to leave. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your brain injury, it feels wrong to give a drug that can injure our brains to someone who actually has one.

You ask if you should taper, but if you've been off for a week and are functional then I'd say no, a taper isn't necessary. 

I'll provide some links to help you navigate the forum but we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Ashton  Manual symptom list

Post-withdrawal  Recovery Support

The  Ashton Manual