Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering

[Me...]

Hi! I've been taken Ativan for about 2 months. I take 0.5mgs at bedtime. Read many scary posts about withdrawal and tapering, so came here to find out how to do it safely. I have severe night time anxiety. That's why I've been prescribed it. I haven't had to increase it. Never been addicted to anything.

Hello  Mental Health  :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

I’m glad you’ve found us, you’ve come to a great place for advice and support.  Not everyone has an awful time coming off, you could be one of the lucky ones, you’ve not been taking it long. We will help and encourage you through this process. You may get some symptoms but remember they are temporary and will eventually disappear. Browse the forum do some research, post questions our members are knowledgeable and will offer you support.

It’s generally advised to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days.  This rate can be too fast for many of us especially when you reach the lower doses.  You can slow it down, taper at a rate you are comfortable with.  You can learn more about tapering on our taper plans board.

I would recommend reading the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  I found chapter lll very reassuring, possible withdrawal symptoms and explanations Chapter III 

I'll leave you  a couple of links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

We have dedicated board dealing with anxiety issues, you might find something that will help you.

Anxiety     

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you for replying! I'll look at the anxiety link. I added what medication I'm currently taking at bottom on my profile now. I didn't add Ativan due the fact that I'm going to taper.