Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Social Life, Alcohol, and SLEEP!!

[De...]

When you have alcohol at night, does it make you not fall into that stage 3 deep sleep? 

I went out with some friends last night and I didn't have too much - I'm not a big drinker.  I have been avoiding alcohol and any stimulants for so long and since I was sleeping better these days (I know alcohol isn't good when you're in w/d), but I thought I would be able to have some drinks (I was pretty much sober when I got home).....however, when I went to bed, I never felt like I was completely asleep.  I was this close to being asleep!!  My sleep lately has been coming back too.  I sleep more nights than not - except I get lousy sleep during PMS, that's it.  I will probably resort to being the DD again for a few months longer - lol.  I'm just tired of giving excuses why I'm not participating in the drinking games or why I don't want to go out and stay late.  People don't understand what we are going through...plus it's too long of a story to tell anyone...

It's frustrating because benzos not only rob us of sleep, but a social life! (stress related insomnia was my #1 problem) And to think, when I took these drugs, they just made me WAY worse for MUCH longer.  I hate Dr's.  :tickedoff:  I almost know my answer to my question - I'm mostly venting - but it would be nice to have a normal social life like we all once had before these pills took over our lives! GR!  >:(

Hi,

I've stopped drinking indefinitely because I know it will effect my recovery a lot! I did used to drink while on Klonopin (which I now know is bad, but once again... no one told me it was. *ahem* doctor...) and whenever I drank, my insomnia would be even worse. I pretty much would not get any sleep those nights. It was torture, which is why I didn't drink much overall.

Anyway, my answer is no, I do not get any kind of sleep from drinking. It is SOOO hard to not drink when you want to go out with your friends!  :-[

Holly

• 1 month later...
I am really glad I saw your post, Determined 7.  I know exactly what you are talking about.  This is my first time back on the forum in a couple months I think.  I am 9 months free and have been getting back into 'normal' life.  I have a thriving social life for the first time in over a year.  My issue is similar in that I wish to drink alcohol, minimally, with my friends just to be with them, so to speak.  It is just a social thing.  I spent many months abstaining and thinking i would never drink again but the reality is that it is the drugs we were on that were the horror for most of us.  I am not an alcoholic nor was I ever one and I just want to be a 'normal' moderate drinker and be able to go home and sleep.  Sleep is the main issue from this.  As long as I stay within 1-3 drinks over many hours, the negative physical effects from the alcohol are minimal but it still affects my sleep.  One thing I have noticed is this bizarre state in my mind where stories, images, songs, and conversations repeat over and over again, like I am hyper stimulated.  It occurs when I haven't had any alcohol too so it isn't all due to that I know.  I also have trouble sleeping in an unfamiliar situation.  Pretty much just can't do it and then I spend the next day coping with that lack of sleep till I can try again the next night.  Really frustrating.   Anyway, I just needed to vent and would love to have someone to relate to on this topic.  Otherwise, I am doing really well.  Still have some low level mental anxiety (mostly associated with being afraid I won't sleep!) and some weird physical anxiety sxs around my chin and throat.

Good to see you checking back Ash :thumbsup:.  And thanks for the post Determined.  I recently started a thread in Chewing the Fat on this same topic and there were some pretty good responses.  So check it out if you like.  The bottom line for me is that I am also a social drinker, nothing big, maybe a glass or two of wine on occasion. I believe it's best to avoid it for the first six months to even a year after stopping the benzo. For some, it's best to abstain. For me, I started back too early (at one month off).  Then I waited til five months off and seemed to do ok with just a glass or two, but there were some side effects to deal with the next day(s).  I always found that when I had even just a couple drinks that it could negatively impact my sleep, even before benzos, cause me to wake up around 3AM.  On the other hand, there have been times where it seemed to help me sleep although more often was the former case.  Last month I had my first "real drink", a martini on my wife's birthday. It seemed to go ok, but I would have been a little wary fo having a second one.  I guess I am still cautious (chicken?) about not overdoing things even at almost two years out.  However, if you are feeling pretty well and it is something you wish to try again, I think one ought to at least go in gradually and make sure it's something that you really want to do.

Best,

Vertigo

Alcohol is one of the most important and common interactions. Alcohol and benzodiazepines such as alprazolam taken in combination have a synergistic effect on one another, which can cause severe sedation, behavioral changes, and intoxication. The more alcohol and alprazolam taken the worse the interaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam

Adverse Effect:

diazepam causes additive toxicity with alcohol

Severe - The interaction between these medications may be life-threatening or may cause permanent damage. These medications are not usually used concurrently; medical intervention may be required.

Documentation Level:

Well established - There have been several published reports of this interaction. The pharmacological explanation of why the interaction occurs is well documented and understood. There are usually controlled studies that have established that the interactionexists.

diazepam belongs to the class of Benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepines exhibit varying degrees of hypnotic, anxiolytic, amnesic, muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant effects.

alcohol belongs to the class of Alcohol

Alcohol reacts to varying degrees with a large number of medicinal agents.

Probable Mechanism:

Coadministration of benzodiazepines with alcohol may result in additive CNS depressant effects that are potentially fatal. The combination of benzodiazepines and alcohol has been associated with complex sleep-related behaviours, drug-induced deaths, traffic accidents and fatalities. Patients should be warned against alcohol intake while on benzodiazepine therapy.

Actions to be Taken:

1. Avoid combination.

http://www.mims.com/USA/interaction/Search/diazepam%7Calcohol

I'm not taking a hardline stance on this subject but, would like everyone to recover from this, with the "least" amount of complication as possible.

For me, it's still going to be a bit longer before drinking again and before this benzo journey, was a Vineyard travler. I miss that very much too.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

I am not much of a drinker.  I just enjoy having a drink with friends..  I am also about 90% healed, so I was just wondering how others have dealt with introducing alcohol again.  Vertigo has a great post in Chewing the  Fat.

:)