Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Headaches and Triptans and sleep

[wh...]

Ive been getting these terrible daily migraines (all over different parts of head ) about 6 months now.(before I started tapering) Im finally on my third week of tapering (16mg valium 2mg ativan 30mg remeron from about 6mg day ativan). My doc will only give me a bit of percocet once in a while so I have to take this Triptan called maxalt, ita like imitrex but not as harsh  (imitrex am actually allergic to so really bad reactions).

This  stuff works by raising serotonin levels and besides bad body ache I think its keeping me up at night even more than usual

Question is... Is anybody else getting headache or migraine from lack of  sleep.

[e0...]

Hey there what2do,

I have migraines as well and have found that one of my triggers is sleep depravation.  One of my many triggers...migraines are horrible!!  But yes, lack of sleep (as well as too much sleep) lowers the threshold for these debilitating headaches.  I have used Maxalt for years and am glad to say that it doesn't increase my withdrawal symptoms.  I'm glad you've found relief.

Be well,

M (The Migraineur)

The migraine is a beast from Hell, a bone-crushing, brain-twisting, heart-rending, apocalyptic scourge—an insult to all that’s holy.

— Diane Stafford

yeah thanks for replying, the only problem is that I havent found relief, The Maxalt is giving me such body and leg ache that is almost intolerable . Ill keep trying and thanks

Theyll probably move this post :angel:

[e0...]

Oh, bummer what2do.  Sorry, I misread your post--I thought the Maxalt did help.  I don't know what to tell you.  How frequently are your migraines?

M

[cb...]
Oh my gosh! I just got Maxalt from my GP for migraines. I took one saturday night and it was horrible! I felt dizzy, achy and flushed. Plus weird sensations in my forehead! I won't touch the stuff again. I was up til all hours. Glad to see I'm not alone having a bad reaction to it.

Martha, The maxalt does help but the side effects are bad body ache , really bad. dont know if this is benzo related due to long term use, suspect Remeron as the headaches re3ally started daily a couple of months after I started taking it (i think).

thanks

[e0...]

Hey what2do,

It's probably the rizatriptan.  I had a bad reaction to sumatriptan (Imitrex), complete with racing heart, pressure in the skull and a general weakness.  When the other triptans were released on the market, I tried a few of those as well.  I was given rizatriptan because it has a long half-life and my migraines are hella-long.  Zolmitriptan (Zomig) is effective and I found it to be mild.  What others have you tried?

Generic Name  Brand Name

almotriptan Axert

frovatriptan Frova

rizatriptan     Maxalt

sumatriptan Imitrex

zolmitriptan Zomig

Common triptan side effects:

*  Flushing.

* Tingling.

* Drowsiness.

* Dizziness.

* Weakness.

* A feeling of warmth or coldness.

* Burning at the injection site (with the injected form of sumatriptan).

* Bitter taste at the back of the throat (with sumatriptan and zolmitriptan    nasal sprays).

[e0...]

Oh, naratriptan (Amerge)  is effective as well!  btw--weird that mirtazapine (Remeron) is used the the prophylactic treatment of chronic tension-type headaches and may be causing the same in you.  huh, goes to show that everyone really is different.

Amerge-good for those long migraines that go on day after day:

Higher lipophilicity and a corresponding longer duration of action than sumatriptan; naratriptan has a half-life of roughly 6 hours while sumatriptan has a half-life of roughly 2.5 hours; naratriptan oral bioavailability is approximately 70%; onset of clinical effect is within 1 hour; duration of clinical effect can range as long as 24 hours; during phase III, 68% of Migraine patients experienced relief within 4 hours after receiving 2.5 mg compared to roughly one-third of patients receiving placebo; naratriptan is metabolized by several P450 enzymes; renal clearance exceeds GFR indicating active tubular secretion; do not use in patients with ischemic cardiac, cerebrovascular, or peripheral vascular syndromes, or within 24-hrs of administration of ergot alkaloids or other 5-HT1 agonists.

http://www.migraines.org/treatment/pronrtrp.htm

Second generation drawing board up anti-Migraine medicine. Amerge® is a much improved long acting Triptan. In fact it is the longest acting Triptan currently available. For patients achieving Migraine response with Amerge® 2.5mg, 72% to 81% experienced no recurrence within 24 hours.

I havent tried Amerge but will look into it.

heres what I tried so far

Imitrex- 1 dose-->  2days diarrhea couldnt sleep at all

Frova- Same but worse diarrhea

relpax -difficulty to sleep (ins will only give 6 tabs mo)

zomig -similar to relpax (some stomach ache)

Maxalt currently taking about 15-20 mg day ( afraid of this) Horrendous body aches, very short term  relief but can sleep and no diarrhea.

Im currently for insurance to authiorise Axert (i read that (ask a patient<--website) people arent reporting body aches with this.

Am hopeful