Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Really struggling, not sure how much longer I can do this. Temazapan w/d

[...]

I took 30mg temazapan nightly for over 2 years for insomnia, prior to that I took them 2-3X a week, and prior to that took Ambien occasionally. Everything stopped working after a time. Basically I've used some kind of sleep aid for a good 15 years. I am 51 and perimenopausal and on HRT.  I quit cold turkey early March, so I know I am still early in the process (and I have taken Ambien 4 times during that time, just 1/3 of a 5mg pill 3 of those times, but a few days ago a whole 5mg out of frustration).  For the last month the pattern has been that I fall asleep easily about 10, 10:30p but wake about 4 hrs later and be up for the day.  I don't get up then, I stay in bed until about 5 just to rest, but am awake.  The last 2 nights however, have been awful.  Sat night I never slept at all, and last night I slept from 10 to 11:45p.  I could deal with 4 hrs of sleep, but 0-2 is just horrid.  I try listening to audio books, headspace, etc but nothing helps.  It's so lonely and isolating.  How can I deal with this without going crazy?  Thinking this could last another year or more is more than I can handle. What can I do in the middle of the night to cope?  Are there any "safe" sleep meds?  I know Ambien isn't a benzo, but I read in posts here that I should still avoid it?

I take Melatonin.  Have you tried that for sleep?

Yes, unfortunately it does nothing for me

I've tried so many things: CBD, GABA, 5HTP, L theonine, magnesium, every kind of tea....  Nothing helps

I've heard Seroquel mentioned...?

Benadryl?

Yes, that too, doesn't help me sleep and makes me feel out of it the next day.  I feel hopeless.

I recommend that you just push through it.  I was a very short-term user of Temazepam and I still have broken sleep after one year since CT.  The best thing to do is not fear not sleeping.  The first 2 to 3 weeks may be pretty much no sleep but you will start getting it back slowly.  Often times I think I am not sleeping but when I look at my watch, an hour or so passes and it feels like it was only 10 minutes or so.  A good book that I read that helped me is “Say goodbye to insomnia” by Dr. Gregg Jacobs.  It talks about negative sleep thoughts and helps you overcome these negative thoughts and not fear not sleeping.

I have tried melatonin, THC, CBN, CBD, lavender, chamomile, L-theanine, lemon balm, OTC sleep aids and none of these have helped me as this type of insomnia (benzo induced) is very different than regular insomnia.  IMO Ambien is only going to delay the recovery process.  Hang in there - you will get to the finish line.  Acceptance and time goes a long way.

I recommend that you just push through it.  I was a very short-term user of Temazepam and I still have broken sleep after one year since CT.  The best thing to do is not fear not sleeping.  The first 2 to 3 weeks may be pretty much no sleep but you will start getting it back slowly.  Often times I think I am not sleeping but when I look at my watch, an hour or so passes and it feels like it was only 10 minutes or so.  A good book that I read that helped me is “Say goodbye to insomnia” by Dr. Gregg Jacobs.  It talks about negative sleep thoughts and helps you overcome these negative thoughts and not fear not sleeping.

I have tried melatonin, THC, CBN, CBD, lavender, chamomile, L-theanine, lemon balm, OTC sleep aids and none of these have helped me as this type of insomnia (benzo induced) is very different than regular insomnia.  IMO Ambien is only going to delay the recovery process.  Hang in there - you will get to the finish line.  Acceptance and time goes a long way.

Thank you, this is just really hard

I've tried so many things: CBD, GABA, 5HTP, L theonine, magnesium, every kind of tea....  Nothing helps

Seroquel is an antipsychotic? I don’t think u really want to mess with that.

This is part of it. The mind boggling inability to sleep. Get comfortable being uncomfortable honey. I’m sorry u have to go thru this but go thru it u must.

I am a year out and I’ve just started sleeping 3-5 hrs a night but it’s mostly 3-4. For 10 months after I wd I was sleeping 15-18 hrs a week on average. I even had a couple of zero weeks and 7 hour weeks! Before I got off well let’s not even go there…. I tapered all the way down slowly too and found myself in the same sh!t sandwich as everyone else.

Z drugs are what did this to me, they definitely aren’t safe, and hit the same receptors in the brain as Benzos. Ambien is a z drug. Also by taking one every now and then u are kindling ur brain. Look that up xx

Please read this x it can help x I know this is hard but u aren’t alone

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.msg3016781#msg3016781

I took 30mg temazapan nightly for over 2 years for insomnia, prior to that I took them 2-3X a week, and prior to that took Ambien occasionally.

How bad was your insomnia prior to taking any drugs? Have you always had issues sleeping, or was there a time in your life when natural sleep was ok?

VC70, insomnia was my worst withdrawl symptom and I agree, the sleepless nights feel so terribly and long - I am sorry you are there.  I tried multiple supplements and over-the-counter things for sleep, none of which helped.  Ashton says insomnia gradually diminishes over 6-12 months and that was certainly my experience.  At a year off benzos, I started taking a small dose of trazodone which seemed to help.  I'll never know if time was the healer of the trazodone did the trick but I mostly sleep well now. 

Ambien is a Z-drug  or what I like to call a "Benzo in Disguise" Alohafromhawaii had a bad experience with Ambien.  You could reach out to him?  Ambien works pretty much like a Benzo even though the pharmaceutical companies say it works differently. 

That's why you get very poor sleep and the same Benzo WD symptoms.

Ashton says insomnia usually resolves in 6-12 months for most.  Some take less time, some take more time. 

BUT, your sleep isn't horrible the entire time.  It is very UP and DOWN and a real roller coaster ride for most until you start to get some sleep most nights. 

I had about 70 zero nights or nights of no perceived sleep over 10 months that my insomnia was at its worst after I jumped CT. 

If you have to take something a few nights per week, I'd try hydroxyzine or trazodone....both are antihistamines...

I would throw out or flush the rest of your Ambien so you are not tempted to take it in a moment of weakness when you don't sleep.  It's too easy to reach for something when you are not going to sleep.

I was on Temazepam for a few months along with Xanax, Klonopin, and Mirtazepine.  As you are painfully aware, all drugs stop working given enough time.  IMO, drugs are a dead end road and only mask symptoms and never treat the underlying cause for sleep issues.

Good luck.

Thank you, I have read ThEwAy2's post, great stuff there.  Do you stay in bed when awake or just get up?  I don't want to disturb the the rest of my family so I stay in bed but it makes the time just drag on

Seroquel is an antipsychotic? I don’t think u really want to mess with that.

This is part of it. The mind boggling inability to sleep. Get comfortable being uncomfortable honey. I’m sorry u have to go thru this but go thru it u must.

I am a year out and I’ve just started sleeping 3-5 hrs a night but it’s mostly 3-4. For 10 months after I wd I was sleeping 15-18 hrs a week on average. I even had a couple of zero weeks and 7 hour weeks! Before I got off well let’s not even go there…. I tapered all the way down slowly too and found myself in the same sh!t sandwich as everyone else.

Z drugs are what did this to me, they definitely aren’t safe, and hit the same receptors in the brain as Benzos. Ambien is a z drug. Also by taking one every now and then u are kindling ur brain. Look that up xx

Please read this x it can help x I know this is hard but u aren’t alone

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.msg3016781#msg3016781

I took 30mg temazapan nightly for over 2 years for insomnia, prior to that I took them 2-3X a week, and prior to that took Ambien occasionally.

How bad was your insomnia prior to taking any drugs? Have you always had issues sleeping, or was there a time in your life when natural sleep was ok?

Yes, I have, but it's been a very long time, probably 20 years ago.

VC70, insomnia was my worst withdrawl symptom and I agree, the sleepless nights feel so terribly and long - I am sorry you are there.  I tried multiple supplements and over-the-counter things for sleep, none of which helped.  Ashton says insomnia gradually diminishes over 6-12 months and that was certainly my experience.  At a year off benzos, I started taking a small dose of trazodone which seemed to help.  I'll never know if time was the healer of the trazodone did the trick but I mostly sleep well now.

Thank you, is trazodone safe to take long term?  I believe I tried that before, but I've tried so many different sleep meds I can't remember (def tired lunesta and belsomra).  Do you develop dependence and keep needing more? 

VC70, as to if you should stay in bed:  IMO, yes stay in bed as you will still get rest.  Also, you can buy an inexpensive sleep watch on Amazon (around $40 Amazafit).  It is not super accurate,but will give you a general idea of your sleep.  Early on after CT, I did not think I was getting any sleep, but my hubby said that I was.  He then proceeded to tape me snoring a couple of times during the night which helped lessen my anxiety over my "sleepless" nights.  When I mentioned in an earlier post to you of pushing through it, if you get through the first 3 weeks or so of really rough nights and you get accustomed to poor sleep, it gets better.  So much of it is acceptance and not fearing not getting enough sleep.  If you follow a similar pattern as me on my Temazepam recovery journey, the anxiety left around week 3 and that helped me deal with the none/poor sleep issue.

Being 12 months off, my sleep has come to the point that it is what it is - I have accepted this.  Let how you feel the next day be your guide as to seeking sleeping aids as I have found that not much helps this type of insomnia - your brain and CNS needs time to revert back to its normal healthy state.  even with very broken sleep, I feel energetic the next day.  You can do this.  It takes time and acceptance.  During my recovery year, I am a stronger self as a result of the coping and acceptance measures that I have learned.  This is during the same time of my being a caregiver for my husband who is battling cancer.

I was on temazapam for 5 years.  I quit cold turkey in February by taking a non addicting antiddepressent to sleep call trazadonze.  At first it didn't work and I was up half the night even though I was taking 3 or 4 pills and was only supposed to be taking 1.  Eventually it worked until it made me sick so I quit it.  Now I sleep 7 to 12 hours a night.  I take sleepeze and 4 melatonin.  I wake up sometimes once or twice a night for up to two hours and sometimes wake up at 3.  Most of my anxiety is gone  but get when I am alone or stressed out.

Do not give up. See that there are people worse than you. I am reducing Xanax to 4mg which has almost no effect. I don't know if it's worse being turned off by him or staying up day and night. I take Xanax, go to bed and after 40 minutes it turns me off, after 3 hours I am awakened, then I am turned off and then awakened, this is how it happens every night for 7 or 8 times at dawn. I keep thinking, when I take the last dose of xanax, how will my sleep return. Thank you that you are benzo free. If you don't sleep, go to your computer to download music, with a cup of chamomile tea. Will be all right.

Moah,

Your sleep will slowly return after you are completely off the Xanax.  I was on Xanax too for sleep.  It has a short half life so only works for most people for 4-6 hours, when it works and it easy to reach tolerance.  Tolerance is when the drug doesn't work at the current dose.  4mg of Xanax is a fairly high dose.  Hoping you can taper off and still get some sleep.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses, help, and suggestions.  I haven't taken anymore Ambien since I started this post.  I started therapy, hoping that will help, I just feel like I need to "do" something! 

Hi!

So sorry you are struggling with insomnia. I was on Ambien and Xanax for five weeks last spring for crushing insomnia after occasional use for many years, and stopped cold turkey last July after realizing I had interdose withdrawal. I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. Bottom line is that nothing really "makes" you sleep long term, and the thing that changed my life was finding The Sleep Coach's website. (thesleepcoachschool.com) I've done research on insomnia so many time over the years and nothing ever helped, and even tried CBTi after stopping the Xanax. It made my anxiety so bad- trying to record everything and basically trying to prepare for sleep with everything you do all day long. Give Daniel's podcasts and YouTube videos a listen- I started listening to them during the night and they gave great comfort. His method may seem a bit cheesy at first, but you realize after a while that he and his coaches genuinely want to help people, and he's so kind and caring. I hope he can help you like he has helped so many others. The only other thing I sometimes do when I'm super wound-up at bed time is vape a little Northern Lights cannabis flower- it relaxed you and helps you to fall asleep naturally. One caveat- it didn't help me the first few months. And like others have said- you have to stop caring so much whether you sleep, and realize that life goes on even if you don't. Try to enjoy a few things even if you're exhausted- it helps you to realize all is not lost!

Best of luck to you!

Hi there, I actually did come across Daniel's channel a couple months ago and I agree, he is so genuinely kind!I feel like it's helped me some, but my issue isn't getting to sleep, I can fall asleep within 10min (I go to bed about 10-10:30), but I wake about 3 hrs later and am up for the day (or I should say night!).  I know his channel covers that too, but unfortunately nothing seems to help me fall back to sleep after I wake at 1-2AM.  I stay in bed until about 5 and those are the longest 3-4 hrs.  I have tried cbti too and felt the same as you, worsened anxiety and made me feel just awful. I have tried various CBD/THC gummy combos, but not the vape yet.

Hi!

So sorry you are struggling with insomnia. I was on Ambien and Xanax for five weeks last spring for crushing insomnia after occasional use for many years, and stopped cold turkey last July after realizing I had interdose withdrawal. I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. Bottom line is that nothing really "makes" you sleep long term, and the thing that changed my life was finding The Sleep Coach's website. (thesleepcoachschool.com) I've done research on insomnia so many time over the years and nothing ever helped, and even tried CBTi after stopping the Xanax. It made my anxiety so bad- trying to record everything and basically trying to prepare for sleep with everything you do all day long. Give Daniel's podcasts and YouTube videos a listen- I started listening to them during the night and they gave great comfort. His method may seem a bit cheesy at first, but you realize after a while that he and his coaches genuinely want to help people, and he's so kind and caring. I hope he can help you like he has helped so many others. The only other thing I sometimes do when I'm super wound-up at bed time is vape a little Northern Lights cannabis flower- it relaxed you and helps you to fall asleep naturally. One caveat- it didn't help me the first few months. And like others have said- you have to stop caring so much whether you sleep, and realize that life goes on even if you don't. Try to enjoy a few things even if you're exhausted- it helps you to realize all is not lost!

Best of luck to you!

Im tapering from Xanax before I reduce the temazepam.  Im splitting the .5 Xanax into two doses (.25)  one at 5 pm and one at 3 AM. (Severe insomnia).  I believe that I have habituated to both benzos ( 20 years usage) and the 30 mg of Temazepam only works for a couple of hours and Im back awake at 1 AM.  Tonight I intended to drop one of the doses of Xanax so that Im only taking .25 per night.  When I am off Xanax Ill start on the temazepam.  Does this sound like a good plan?  Can anyone tell me which of the two Benzos are most likely to cause fluctuating Tinnitus please ....  having a hard day today!

Hi there, I actually did come across Daniel's channel a couple months ago and I agree, he is so genuinely kind!I feel like it's helped me some, but my issue isn't getting to sleep, I can fall asleep within 10min (I go to bed about 10-10:30), but I wake about 3 hrs later and am up for the day (or I should say night!).  I know his channel covers that too, but unfortunately nothing seems to help me fall back to sleep after I wake at 1-2AM.  I stay in bed until about 5 and those are the longest 3-4 hrs.  I have tried cbti too and felt the same as you, worsened anxiety and made me feel just awful. I have tried various CBD/THC gummy combos, but not the vape yet.

Hi!

Best of luck to you!