Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Heart skips while nodding off..

[Be...]

Does anyone get like a skipped heartbeat when trying to nod off that wakes you up...It normally happens when trying to drift from wakefulness to sleep...It feels like a twitch in the heart and then you wake up...

Palpations and the like seem to be common in withdrawl.  Could it be that you are having skipped beats at various times during the day but you only notice them at night, when you are lying still and quiet?  The other explanation might be the position in which you sleep.  Here is a good article that goes into this phenomenon:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21874-heart-palpitations-at-night#:~:text=Some%20people%20get%20heart%20palpitations,Anxiety%2C%20stress%20and%20depression.

Palpations and the like seem to be common in withdrawl.  Could it be that you are having skipped beats at various times during the day but you only notice them at night, when you are lying still and quiet?  The other explanation might be the position in which you sleep.  Here is a good article that goes into this phenomenon:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21874-heart-palpitations-at-night#:~:text=Some%20people%20get%20heart%20palpitations,Anxiety%2C%20stress%20and%20depression.

Thank you Kate...These happen now throughout the night as I am going through a wave of insomnia for 2 months now...

As soon as I try to sleep they jerk me awake... Similar to hypnic jerks....

I had that too...but to me it almost felt like a jolt of electricity going through my chest and sometimes my head as I was nodding off that would wake me up again... :tickedoff:

I had that too...but to me it almost felt like a jolt of electricity going through my chest and sometimes my head as I was nodding off that would wake me up again... :tickedoff:

That's how exactly it feels like...I slept 10 hours today....

In this wave I am getting a 0 night sleep followed by 10 hour sleep the next day... Mind you I am 27 months off by Monday...

Have you experimented with l tryptophan before..

Bexlan, your sig says you are over 2 years off. When did the heart skips start?

They began in April during this wave I am riding...Before that I was 95% healed...

Yes, I tried Tryptophan, a precursor to melatonin and serotonin.  It didn't work for me.  In fact, I pretty much tried every OTC, natural and herbal remedy for sleep during my Benzo induced insomnia, and nothing could touch it short of a non-Benzo Rx drug, and even then it was only for a night or two.  So I stopped trying to find something that would help me get some sleep.

Eventually sleep evened out on its own but I did have waves of insomnia at 18, 32, and 54 months off and most recently this past month. 

The zero nights followed by 10 hour nights doesn't sound like it's any fun, but at least you know what to expect after the zero night?  This wave will eventually even out for you.  Hang in there.