Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Something I learned that sends us back into withdrawal symptoms

[Be...]

I've learned never to do any type of body cleanse or detox for a long time after being benzo free. I've learned that for months after being on benzo we still have it throughout our cells and that any kind herb, supplement or superfood can cause this to be washed out too fast. I believe what happens is it gets detoxed from our cells and re circulated into our bloodstream. I was off of meds for  a month at one point and then started taking apple cider vinegar with baking soda because it supposedly helps with a better nights sleep.. Biggest mistake of my life. I went into severe panic attacks within a week and that's when I got stuck on klonopin.  So just wanted to warn everyone to stay away from any kind of supplements, teas or superfoods that are healthy and clean out your liver. And never do a body cleanse..ever.!!! 

I am so sorry this has happened to you. I have done 2 liver cleanses since stopping Klonopin and I got neither better or worse...just stayed the same.

Sorry I cannot remember that.. I cannot remember that kind of info.  I have done a ton of research over the years and certain things I retain and that's one of them.  But it is quite common knowledge for a lot of people, if you googled.. you will find very many articles about it. I never came across an article that said this wasn't so, except for maybe a blurp written by the same Doctor's who prescribe these meds. and tell people that there's no such thing as withdrawal past 2 weeks, if the doc. even admits there's a withdrawal. 

I should mention what brought me to that research in the first place is my own personal experience.  Before my Klonopin addiction I was on Trazodone. I only always got on meds for sleep, never had depression or anxiety or any other problem..  So I'm 3 to 4 months off of trazodone and decide I'm going to get really healthy and do these cleanses.. BaAAAD Idea.. after a week into the cleanse I started in with insomnia, anxiety and panic, the electric shock feelings and twitches at night.  All the same withdrawal symptoms I had while going through trazodone withdrawal.. You don't get these symptoms from doing a cleanse. I was drinking apple cider vinegar with baking soda an old home remedy..

I should have mentioned initially that this was 'my personal' experience and probably not everyones. Maybe people don't have the same liver issues as I do.  Things like L-glutamine are suppose to be good for you but it sends my liver into detox mode.  I am a highly sensitive person and have learned to listen to the tiny feelings of my body that most people won't notice. 

Thanks Bellahar. I have been told to do a detox by a couple Dr.'s but haven't because of just what you said. I am very sensitive and in withdrawal or even after, I think all of us are sensitive. They found I have fatty liver on an ultrasound and I also tried a milkthistle combination but it gave me a headache. I know I need the supplement but guess I will wait a while and try it again.

You mentioned in another post that you took a lot of supplements to get thru your withdrawal. It is so hard to know which ones help and which ones make you worse. I too use tryptophan for sleep. I had terrible insomnia and that's why I was prescribed the temazapam and ambien. Now off for 4mos, I am struggling to sleep. Like you that is my only reason for taking the benzo. I also use melatonin and benadryl but prefer the natural supplements. I figure if I can get to the point where I can sleep with only tryptophan, then I can try to wean off that...along with wine.

I appreciate your posts.

Kathi

12+yrs temazapam and ambien, off 4 mos

I've learned never to do any type of body cleanse or detox for a long time after being benzo free. I've learned that for months after being on benzo we still have it throughout our cells and that any kind herb, supplement or superfood can cause this to be washed out too fast. I believe what happens is it gets detoxed from our cells and re circulated into our bloodstream. I was off of meds for  a month at one point and then started taking apple cider vinegar with baking soda because it supposedly helps with a better nights sleep.. Biggest mistake of my life. I went into severe panic attacks within a week and that's when I got stuck on klonopin.  So just wanted to warn everyone to stay away from any kind of supplements, teas or superfoods that are healthy and clean out your liver. And never do a body cleanse..ever.!!! 

It's no wonder that the baking soda and vinegar caused panic attacks. That combination is used to clean out drains, disposals, etc.  http://housekeeping.about.com/od/environment/qt/bksd_drains.htm

I met with a drug/addictions counselor (psychiatric nurse). She said benzos are stored in fat cells and released slowly over time. Lovely. The only news about benzos is bad news.

I think time is our only real remedy in this mess.

I totally agree with you yram, time and only time will heal the damage that has been caused by these wicked and unforgiving drugs!

Hi there!

So do you think it was the vinegar or the baking soda?  I love a drink called Kambucha (sp?) and it tastes very vinegary (nice word, huh!?).  It's made out of mushrooms, is very healthy, but there is a detox part of it.  I'm trying to figure out if I should avoid these that I have in my fridge now and let the kids have them?  They are expensive (for me) so I don't want to waste them, but i don't want to drink them and feel much worse!

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Lisa  ;)

• 6 years later...

Sorry I cannot remember that.. I cannot remember that kind of info.  I have done a ton of research over the years and certain things I retain and that's one of them.  But it is quite common knowledge for a lot of people, if you googled.. you will find very many articles about it. I never came across an article that said this wasn't so, except for maybe a blurp written by the same Doctor's who prescribe these meds. and tell people that there's no such thing as withdrawal past 2 weeks, if the doc. even admits there's a withdrawal.

[/quote  I would like articles or anything that you can provide stating that meds stay in our cells. Because if you do a blood test after withdrawing from any med, alcohol etc the blood test is correct in detecting meds in your body. Please share any info that you have on this. Thank you.