Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tinnitus

[Jo...]

Tinnitus! 👂😩

Since about a month ago, I’ve been experiencing rather bad tinnitus in both ears. It’s a constant high pitched noise which is making me miserable. I also have clogged ears, stiff neck and pressure inside my head.

2 weeks prior to the onset of tinnitus, I cut my oxazepam dosage in half and felt only minor withdrawal symptoms in the days that followed. In the middle of this I got Covid and I’m still not covid negative after 7 days since diagnosed.

It should be mentioned that I also take 10mg of remeron every evening and cut the dosage of that drug by half one and a half month ago.

In your own experience, what do you think might be the cause of the sudden onset of tinnitus?

If it is related to the tapering off from oxezapam, what is happening in my brain 🧠 and why and how likely is it that it will eventually subside and after how long?

I appreciate your input 🙏

Thanks.

I never had tinnitus in my life until this taper. 

6 months into my taper, at age 59, it started, sounded like crickets, it's there 99% of the time, and I can ignore it. I am just finishing up month 10 now.

As to why? I don't know, I just know it's one of the most common symptoms of benzo withdrawal.

You should not be tapering two meds at the same time.  Fill out your signature with the meds you are on so others can help you with the taper. 

JonIceland, tinnitus is a very common withdrawl symptom and many of us have had it.  We have a support group for this problem that you may find helpful:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96554.0

We do suggest you taper only one medication at a time.  Reducing too fast or multiple drugs at a time may make withdrawl symptoms much worse.  We recommend only tapering one med at a time and going slow with  reductions in the 5-10% every two weeks range - particularly with benzos.  If you need taper help, you can use this link:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

• 5 months later...
My tinnitus drave me nuts, so I didn't see any other way out than to start using hearing aids. I read that a lot of people experienced some relief from their tinnitus through the use of hearing aids alone. I ended up buying nano hearing aids https://nano-hearing-aids.pissedconsumer.com/review.html. Actually, I chose them because they are customizable to fit any ear size and can be worn discreetly. Also, the price was affordable. I should say, these devices really help.

Right, tinnitus. This I know a lot about. I got specialized therapy for tinnitus and learned so much about it.

Tinnitus is a withdrawal symptom; I can say from experience. This comes and goes. However I got chronic tinnitus in 2016 after Lyme disease. It drove me insane and couldn't sleep and thus I got Benzos. And that story does not end well for me, like most of us here.

Here's what I know: tinnitus is caused by trauma, be it stress or a physical injury. Tinnitus is not a hearing issue: it's a neurological condition. The mean thing of tinnitus is: stress makes it worse. I was stressing so much about the noise I just wanted a cure. There is no cure. Coping skills are the only thing that do work, but that's easier said than done.

Tinnitus  forced me to change my life. I avoid stress where I can and it works. It took me years and too many Benzos to be able to cope. I'm glad I got therapy for it: it helps me dealing with the additional tinnitus that comes with Benzo withdrawal.

Be well,

Naf1983

Naf183

Tinnitus! 👂😩

Since about a month ago, I’ve been experiencing rather bad tinnitus in both ears. It’s a constant high pitched noise which is making me miserable. I also have clogged ears, stiff neck and pressure inside my head.

2 weeks prior to the onset of tinnitus, I cut my oxazepam dosage in half and felt only minor withdrawal symptoms in the days that followed. In the middle of this I got Covid and I’m still not covid negative after 7 days since diagnosed.

It should be mentioned that I also take 10mg of remeron every evening and cut the dosage of that drug by half one and a half month ago.

In your own experience, what do you think might be the cause of the sudden onset of tinnitus?

If it is related to the tapering off from oxezapam, what is happening in my brain 🧠 and why and how likely is it that it will eventually subside and after how long?

I appreciate your input 🙏

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I'm glad that I've found this thread, but I'm sorry so many people suffer from tinnitus. I'm currently experiencing it and sometimes it drives me nuts. I've already looked through various forums and blogs. Today I read about sound therapy. Did anyone try it? Was it helpful?

Also, my audiologist recommended wearing hearing aids. Having looked through these listenclear reviews, I'm thinking about making the purchase there.

I believe tinnitus is a benzo w/d s/x . . . probably neurological. Mine started on my taper. I still have it 5 years later -- it's diminished but not gone. I just put up with it.  :sick:

Katz