RE: Clonazepam Taper - on 8 days

[an...]

Kate8,

You got down to .25mg and then reinstated to .5mg again and switched to a liquid taper that was successful.  How were your symptoms and your tinnitus?  :)

I had worse withdrawl symptoms early in my taper than I had later - things gradually improved for me as I moved along.  The tinnitus was worse early on during my taper than later too.  I have tinnitus all the time and have had for many years and for reasons I am never clear on sometimes I notice it more than others.  Hope this helps.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [an...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ka...]

Thanks Kate8,

If you don't mind me asking, what happened when you got down to .25 mg, did you try to stop and your symptoms got worse? Is that why you dosed up and switched to liquid?  Did you find that your Tinnitus was better after you switched? 

Thanks Kate8,

If you don't mind me asking, what happened when you got down to .25 mg, did you try to stop and your symptoms got worse? Is that why you dosed up and switched to liquid?  Did you find that your Tinnitus was better after you switched?

I wasn't fully convinced I had tapered far enough at 0.25mg and so I was terribly anxious when I jumped.  I had more of a psychological issue when I jumped than a physical one.  I switched to liquid because the doses became too hard to cut at that point.

I see so your anxiety and overall mental health played a part. I am having some anxiety but I think its due to the spike in my Tinnitus.  So if remain at this dosage for a few days and things do not improve, if I am going to reinstate, do I have to do it before I am off the drug or does it matter?  I would try a water taper but I would have to go to a higher dosage than .50mg for it to be effective? At this point i am so afraid to jump off. 

Thanks for all your support.....

Tinnitus is often the last symptom to leave for many of our members and since you've had it for so long I'm doubtful going up in dose then tapering again will relieve this symptom but it sounds like you're leaning that way.  We'll support whatever decision you make because this is your body and you know yourself better than we ever will so let us know what your plans are and we'll be here for you.  :hug:

Just for your information, you wouldn't need to go on a higher dose to use a liquid taper, you can titrate any dose.

Hi guys, still need your help.....

So I held out 2 days at .125mg and suffered more of an anxiety Tinnitus spike and freaked. Went back up to .25mg yesterday and things have been really good today (tinnitus stable), however I think it was a mistake, I should have stuck it out.  I don't have any other symptoms, so its about preventing Tinnitus from getting worse.  What should I do?  Should I just go back down tonight to .125mg.  I was on it 2 days, Sat and Sunday at .125 mg only and .25 mg last night.  Or should I stay on .25 mg another night or so and then go back down?  I think since I only up dosed one night but does that matter?  My Doctor says I can go either way... :angel:

I'm glad you got some relief but I can see you're going to have a rough time as you withdraw, I'm so sorry.  I only had a slight case of tinnitus but I've read how debilitating it can be. 

If you're determined to continue your taper I don't see any reason to stay at the .25 any longer, you could try to split the difference and reduce by .0625 but I don't see how you're going to escape the tinnitus.

Hi Pamster,

Thanks for you response.  Do you mean I will have a rough time due the Tinnitus, yes I agree.  It has been my only real symptom and concern.  So can you advice on what I should do since I updosed from .125 to .25 last night?  Should I just go back down to .125mg again or stay at .25 for day or so.  Should I be concerned that I updosed? I know it was a mistake. Also should I stop at .125 mg or go lower since i have been tapering since two weeks?  Would appreciate your advice thanks... :angel:

Yes, I'm afraid your tinnitus is going to be a real challenge and I feel terrible for you.  I don't see any reason to stay on the .25 any longer if you're planning to get off of the Clonazepam, you could consider last night as a one off rescue dose which don't typically cause problems for members. 

If you decide to reduce to .125 I'd hold that until you feel ready to reduce again, I can't determine this for you, it has to be when you feel ready.

Hi Pamster, thanks so much for your support.  So I held on .25 mg for about a week and then tapered to .125pm this week-end for 2 days and then up dosed last night out of weakness.  So your saying I can taper back down to .125 mg with little risk?  But should I not hold at .25mg since I updosed for at least a few days?  Is there any risk in me jumping back down to .125mg tonight?  Just want to confirm.  I know that you are suppose to give your gaba receptors a chance to recovery in between tapers?  :angel::smitten:

Sorry I had to log off last night, but I'm sure whatever decision you made in regards to your taper was the right one.  :thumbsup:

Hi guys, Pamster, Kate8

Thanks for reaching out last night. So i stayed at the .25 mg again last night after updosing night before and will taper down to .125 tonight? I most likely should have tapering down last night again .125pm.  So afraid I have made things worse.  My symptoms including Tinnitus are still really stable, is that good or bad?  Or does that mean than when I taper down to .125mg  tonight things will be much worse including my Tinnitus?  At this point is a drop of .125mg to high?  So worried now please advise.... :angel:

I would imagine that as you reduce the Clonazepam your tinnitus will worsen just as it did when you reduced before, I'm afraid this is going to be your most persistent symptom and there really isn't a way around it.  If you're worried .125 is too much then you can go with the .0625 like I mentioned last night. 

angelcat, I know this is difficult and I know you need reassurance and I'm happy to give that to you but we can't make these decisions for you.  We can suggest options that have worked for other members or we can give you the benefit of our experience but this is your taper and you're the one who calls the shots which I know is difficult because this process makes us so fearful.

Do you have support at home, is there anyone you can talk to who can be a sounding board for your concerns?  Sometimes we need someone in real life to just listen to us because this can help us sort through the problem to come up with a solution. 

Hi Thanks Pamster for your kinds words,

Yes this time around the Tinnitus is a real struggle.  I tapered clonazepam years ago with no trouble but I did it really slow.  I do so much appreciate your advice. I just find it so hard to make decisions b/c of fear of my Tinnitus and I am not doing a good job.  I should have been off the med by now.  I do have family that are supportive and I am seeing my doctor this afternoon.  I will keep you posted with my progress.  One more question, given that I have been on the clonazepam 25 days, tapering for 15 days should I be concerned at getting off quicker or going too fast?  If I go down .125 mg tonight and I am in trouble what would be my options?  At this point does a slower taper off make more sense.  I know that my doctor will just want me to come off as soon as possible.  Also b/c I updosed and symptoms are good its this a good sign?  smitten: :angel:

If you decrease your dose tonight I suspect your tinnitus will come back but if you want to be off of this drug, the only way out is through the pain.

Your symptoms improving with your up-dose proves to me that benzo withdrawal is exacerbating your tinnitus.  I hope at some point after your taper and recovery from Clonazepam you'll return to your baseline tinnitus, that's about the best scenario I can come up with.  I'm sorry, I wish there was something to help, I know doctors prescribe benzo's for tinnitus but when it turns on us, its brutal as you know first hand.

Thanks Pamster,

Actually they were for me were prescribed for sleep and yes what a mistake.  Thanks for all your support and I will keep you posted on my progress....

:angel::smitten:

Hi Pamster, thanks

I have seen that link, it does not work?  :)  So went down to .125mg and Tinnitus is very bad today. Do you think that this is b/c of the updosed?  I have no other issues other than some anxiety and sleep.  Very worried. B/c I updosed.  I had forgotten that was a bad idea, will each of my .125mg does get worse, or be about the same?  Can your symptoms still improve each taper even if you have updosed?  If I struggle with current taper is there any option for me? Can I cross over to Valium or is that bad idea or do a micro taper at .125mg?  Does updosing affect your recovery after your off the benzo?  Sorry, I just feel so stupid that it did that as things were getting better before so close to the end of my taper.  :-[:angel: 

I believe your tinnitus is bad today because you're in the process of tapering and I believe it will continue to be bad until you're off and recovered from your use of Clonazepam.  Honestly, I'm just hoping you can return to your baseline after this.  Because this is a pre-existing condition I think this is going to be rough for you but hopefully as I said, you can get back to your normal level of tinnitus when this is over.

I can't predict how this is going to go but try not to worry about your up-dose, you're going in the right direction now.  I hate to see you cross over to Valium since you're not experiencing inter-dose withdrawal and doing this would leave you on the drug longer.  You've been on the drug for such a short time, micro-tapering will also draw out your use.

Hi Pamster,  thanks for all your support

So I stayed the course and I am down to .125mg hold on 4th day and going to stop either today or tomorrow.  Will have been on Clonazepam 30 days on Monday including 19 days tapering days.  However, I took my dose last night and it seemed to makes things worse and I woke up with slight muscle pain and burning sensation and bad tinnitus.  I am very worried as to what this means and how I should proceed.  I just want to get off the benzo as soon as possible but I now worry about potential withdrawals and if they will be worse after I am off.  Also jumping at .125mg seems, seeems high, but cutting down to 0.0625mg might have terrible consequences.  Really worried and not sure what to to do.  My doctor just says to stop.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated... :angel::smitten:

Reductions of Clonazepam will show up around day 3, typically leveling off around day 10.  I believe the symptoms you woke up with are from your reduction from .25 to .125, my suggestion would be to keep taking the .125 until your symptoms level off, then reduce to .0625 for another week or so then see how you feel before making the decision to jump off.  I would not use your tinnitus to measure your stability since its a chronic condition for you, I'd use the muscle pain and burning.

If you agree with your doctor then you might want to listen to him, I support patient led tapers based on symptoms but an important part of that equation is your prescribing physician.

Subside or lessen, remember our definition of stable means able to carry out your daily tasks, it doesn't necessarily mean feeling good.

Thanks Pamster,

I have read that muscle pain and burning sensations are common withdrawal symptoms.  Does that mean that I have now built up tolerance and have been on benzo too long? Did you have those symptoms?  Do they usually go at some point in recovery?  :smitten::angel:

Since you didn't feel these symptoms before starting your taper, I believe they are withdrawal symptoms and will probably leave when recover.  I don't remember having these symptoms but it's been a long time for me, I know many members suffer with this.