Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I HATE 2 a.m.!!!

[3a...]

[3a...]

I'm a 56-year-old male. Like a lot of men over 50, I have an enlarged prostate. I go to bed about 9:30 and can usually fall asleep by 10 p.m., and I sleep fine, but right at 2 a.m. "nature calls" and I have to get up and go to the bathroom and "take care of business." (My apologies if that's too much information, but I can't think of any other way to put it than just the way it is...) Anyway, I wake up always around 2 a.m. Maybe 1:45, maybe 2:15 a.m., but it's right about four hours after I go to sleep. Once I go back to bed I try to sleep but I am just so tense and filled with anxiety and emotional "gunk" that I can't sleep! I hate, hate, hate 2 a.m.! HELP!

I worry my tossing and turning will wake up my wife, so I get a blanket and head back to a comfortable love seat in my home office. I toss and turn, maybe doze for 30 minutes now and then, but the sun begins to rise about 4:45 a.m. and it's impossible for me to sleep once the sun is coming up. (I'm in Arizona, which doesn't do Daylight Savings Time, which is why it's daylight so early. By mid-June the sun will be up and bright by 4:30 and sunrise begins about 4, so I dread the mornings to come.)

I know this insomnia is normal. I just wish to hell I didn't wake up at 2 a.m.! I apologize if this post if just rambling, but I have to vent my frustration somewhere, with some folks who I am sure can relate to a lack of sleep and the frustrations that come with it.

Damn, I hate to 2 a.m.

Jac in Tucson

Me on Day 44:  :idiot:

I used to get so angry at that time, I felt so alone, so angry and frustrated, I was pretty sure the whole world was asleep except me.  It's so lonely too, plus every minute that goes by lying there awake you start to think about how screwed the next day is going to be.  I hate 2:00 a.m. too, but I rarely see it anymore.  Hang in there, when you're past this, you'll go back to sleep easily after nature calls.

[05...]

I agree with Pam. That's how it feels. I'm a 31 year old, and I don't like 2 a.m. either  ::)

Now if you were to ask me if I do a few years ago. I would say, "I love it"!

Like Pam says.. I think sleep shifts back into natural rhythm.

S#

Pamster:

Thank you once again! You always come through with just the right thing to say! I remember when I was thinking of reinstating at some point (I can't keep track of time very well right now, which is why I'm just counting the days). Your comment was so spot-on that it gave me the strength to keep pushing on. I know you have a "soft spot" for your fellow CTs here, and for that, I thank you. I hope when things get better for me we can get to know one another better and that your example is one that can follow and someday I will be the one offering words of support to help others! You're a true gem!

Thanks for being there just when I need to hear some words of support!

Jac in Tucson

Me as Day 44 winds to an end:  :idiot:

I look forward to this Jac, and I'll probably hold you to it.  ;)

I meant to post this reply in this thread so here it is again:

I haven't yet told my story but in short I've been researching and researching and researching benzo effects and complications etc for the past 2 years or so.. One or my main issues is blood sugar. I always had it mildly which is why I started on sleep meds 15 years ago (lack of a decent nights sleep).  So I'm writing here because I have had this exact issue  for a very long time. I finally googled (last year) "2am wake up " because it was so crazy to wake up and be done with sleep at 2am. I found an article by Jonni Good that spoke of sugar being the reason we wake up at 2am. The liver starts it's dumping process and does all kinds of things triggering the brain to release something I think glucose. (part of my klonopin issues is lack of retaining information I read).. Anyway, basically what wakes me up at 2am is a blood sugar drop the brain thinks it's too low so it produces glucose or something. Anyway I fixed this drop by taking the Extend Shakes created for diabetics. These are slow burning protein drinks that last for 9 hours and get you through the night.  I have found my hyperglycemia got much much worse due to the adrenal fatigue i got from being on benzos. So here's my advice and it's only what worked for me:  High protein breakfasts and protein snacks throughout the day. This will keep your blood sugar steady throughout the day. And try either a protein snack before bed of whole grain cracker with cheese or better is those Extend shakes. This should keep you from waking at 2am.. I'm also taking 500mg of L-tryptophan at 2am and the puts my out until 6:30am. If I take the tryptophan before 1am for some reason it doesn't work. I'm still looking for the answer to this one. My only thoughts are that L-tryptophan has a hard time crossing the blood brain barrier as it is and when you have other aminos or foods for it to battle it's pathway with it doesn't make it. I believe this has something to due with my poor digestion due to being on benzos. I'm sure I am not alone in this and would love to hear if others try this and are successful.

I have the awful 12:30 and 2 am waking.  i am going to walgreens, pick up the shakes and supplement.  Heres hoping.  will let you know.  Thanks  Linder