Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Worse than cancer

[Wa...]

Worse than cancer?  Worse than mine I think. I have had prostate cancer for 6 years with associated nasty problems but withdrawal is worse despite the longer term implications of my cancer. Many years ago I took a high velocity small calibre hollow point round (truth!) and it was bad but not as bad as withdrawal. Where am I going with this? There is definitely a positive as I no longer worry about the cancer and have no fear of getting shot again although that is very unlikely of course. To all going through this misery you will worry a lot less too about what the future might hold and will emerge a much stronger person eventually. If you can get through this you can get through almost anything and the sky will be your limit.  Cheers. I

First, I hope the long term implications for your cancer are just long term in that the treatment may go on a bit and you will recover from it. I'm sorry to hear that by the way.

I have heard others say much the same thing in regards to other things being a cake walk or no big deal after this. You no longer worry about cancer or being shot now that you've experienced benzowithdrawal. Good lord, that is a statement and a half.

Wishing you the best and lots of healing. And be safe lol.

(Your kitty is so so cute!)

WA - Prostate cancer is unfortunately all too common - my brother- in- law had it a couple of years ago & had his prostate gland removed, but we only heard this news a couple of months ago, prompting hubby ( aged 57) to have the PSA blood test which showed a good result for his age at 1.7. He has studied 3 years of medicine so has some idea of medically related things.

Benzo withdrawal is no fun especially since one often does not twig for ages that withdrawal symptoms are what they are & not some other illness.  :o

How did you get shot?

Prostate cancer can be treated by EBRT and IMRT which are gamma rays and dangerous. Proton therapy the best choice uses charged particles with little scatter but not available in NZ. America has many. Cryotherapy is last ditch and brachytherapy irradiates the household. Prostatectomy surgery requires the chainsaw. All treatments carry terrible risk of horrendous side effects bar proton and I know some folks who wish they had not had it done. Alternatively I know a guy in Reno who had proton at Loma Linda Ca with success. Hormonal therapy disrupts the body balance.

I was shot on a hunting trip when a faulty loaded but not cocked rifle fired and I was the point blank target that day for that supersonic round 1100 fps muzzle velocity. I know it was not cocked as everybody had to display their weapons for examination before moving and still it fired when jolted. The guy dumped the gun later.

Wasappening that is all interesting, I read it out to hubby. I met somebody at our ski club dinner last year one of the nicer people there among the stuffed shirts, & he'd had the brachytherapy treatment & said he had an agressive cancer.

I have heard the prostatectomy is very hit and miss, I wonder why the proton treatment is not available in NZ? it must be very new or very expensive.

While travelling this time we met some ex miner (in Yandina) who had had a positive PSA test at 4.something & had had radiation treatment in Townsville. He said he was clear of cancer now, & that he had been a heavy drinker, but did not drink now.

Guns never appealed to me. I had a cousin who, years ago, shot his eye out with an air rifle. Not the most stable person.

All the best  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty sad when something is worse than cancer, right?

I told my Mom about your post entitled "Cancer was easy..." Struggle.  That really helped her look at this a little differently, which was beneficial for me.

Thanks for posting Wa and Struggle. 

Hi perseverance,

I assume your mother had a this dreaded diagnosis??

There are things far worse than cancer. Like almost losing your mind, your dignity, your humanity.  For me, cancer was a blessing in disguise. What did me in was the little accident I had , the horrible trauma it left in me and of course the benzo - hell I was in for so long.

Dealing with illnes on your own terms, even all by yourself, gives you the sense of power ( I am speaking for myself alone, not recommending anything of course).

I wish you healing!

:)

No thank God, my Mother never experienced anything like that.  It just struck her that someone would say cancer was easy compared to this (meaning benzo w/d).  She did not read the whole post, just the title.