my sleep got the worst while on benzos

[jo...]

Hi about two months after starting 2mg of klonipin my sleep got so bad I didn't sleep for almost 2 weeks! I went to the ER and they sent me to a mental hospital in which the doctor their gave me 20 mg of zyprexa which worked for a little while then stopped working.In fact after the first two months the only time i got regular sleep is when I took more then I have ever taken some where in between 8-10mg.I think the reason I didn't sleep on the benzos is because i had such a tolerance.I read some where this could be tolerance withdrawal has anybody else heard of this?

I had the same issue with xanax and I attribute it to a paradoxical reaction.  Additionally, even taking greater quantities of any and all Z drugs did zero for sleep.  After about a year, I became so desperate and did not want to increase the benzo's that I had to resorted to 25 mgs of doxepin.  Although I regret that I now have another drug to w/d from and plan to try tapering it back a bit shortly to see what happens.

Most of my insomnia problems were from Nov '08 til Oct '09 while I was taking klonopin daily.  I even took my dose at nighttime in hopes it would help me sleep.  I would get ready for bed around 11pm and end up laying there watching tv til about 3 or 4 am unable to fall asleep.  I often had to be up and around for work by 6:00 am and went to work many days with a maximum of 2 hours of sleep.  This went on for almost a year until I got off of klonopin then my sleep started improving.  At some point the klonopin seemed to do the opposite of sedating me and I feel it has reached that point for you as well.

I tried benadryl and melatonin but they barely helped.  Best thing you can do is practice good sleep hygiene and taper off of klonopin.