Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

my sleep got the worst while on benzos

[jo...]

Hi about two months after starting 2mg of klonipin my sleep got so bad I didn't sleep for almost 2 weeks! I went to the ER and they sent me to a mental hospital in which the doctor their gave me 20 mg of zyprexa which worked for a little while then stopped working.In fact after the first two months the only time i got regular sleep is when I took more then I have ever taken some where in between 8-10mg.I think the reason I didn't sleep on the benzos is because i had such a tolerance.I read some where this could be tolerance withdrawal has anybody else heard of this?

I had the same issue with xanax and I attribute it to a paradoxical reaction.  Additionally, even taking greater quantities of any and all Z drugs did zero for sleep.  After about a year, I became so desperate and did not want to increase the benzo's that I had to resorted to 25 mgs of doxepin.  Although I regret that I now have another drug to w/d from and plan to try tapering it back a bit shortly to see what happens.

Most of my insomnia problems were from Nov '08 til Oct '09 while I was taking klonopin daily.  I even took my dose at nighttime in hopes it would help me sleep.  I would get ready for bed around 11pm and end up laying there watching tv til about 3 or 4 am unable to fall asleep.  I often had to be up and around for work by 6:00 am and went to work many days with a maximum of 2 hours of sleep.  This went on for almost a year until I got off of klonopin then my sleep started improving.  At some point the klonopin seemed to do the opposite of sedating me and I feel it has reached that point for you as well.

I tried benadryl and melatonin but they barely helped.  Best thing you can do is practice good sleep hygiene and taper off of klonopin.