Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Benzos incorrectly labelled narcotics?

[ja...]

I am recovering from benzo abuse and people keep telling me to go to Narcotics Anonymous meetings. I believe those meetings discuss, for the most part, opiate addiction. I think their members' experiences would be very unlike mine (and yours). Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

AA and NA aren't too helpful for us, partly because of the long time it takes us to heal, no one gets this.  The drug leaves our bodies fairly quickly, but the changes it makes to our brains takes a long time to correct.  We suffer from mental, physical and emotional symptoms, the devastation is complete.  I tried to go to an AA meeting after I quit Klonopin, I couldn't to through the door because of the agoraphobia the drug withdrawal produced.

That's what I thought pamster. Nobody around me seems to understand that and they throw it in my face every time I tell them how bad I feel. I have the agoraphobia and depersonalization going on big time now. I can barely function. I wish there was a benzo-recovery colony we could all go to for a bit.

That's what I thought pamster. Nobody around me seems to understand that and they throw it in my face every time I tell them how bad I feel. I have the agoraphobia and depersonalization going on big time now. I can barely function. I wish there was a benzo-recovery colony we could all go to for a bit.

They'd probably tell you that your symptoms are because of your psychological addiction to the drugs and you need to do the 12-steps to feel better. Don't get me started.

I don't think you should get hung up on the "NA" title/label. From what i understand, they deal with a very wide range of drugs. I think though, the key point is that NA are of most help to those that abuse drugs - whatever the drug they use. Most of our members do not 'abuse' their meds, so a twelve-step type program is of questionable value.

I should point out though, that I have not personal experience of such programs. My comments are formed from reading the remarks of others over the years.

I don't think you should get hung up on the "NA" title/label. From what i understand, they deal with a very wide range of drugs. I think though, the key point is that NA are of most help to those that abuse drugs - whatever the drug they use. Most of our members do not 'abuse' their meds, so a twelve-step type program is of questionable value.

I should point out though, that I have not personal experience of such programs. My comments are formed from reading the remarks of others over the years.

I have experience, and the NA and twelve-step type programs are only suitable for people who abuse drugs and are seeking help for dealing with drug abuse issues, not for people simply suffering withdrawal issues.

I mean, the first step is admitting you are out of control with your own actions with regards to drugs.

But the original poster did say he was dealing with "benzo abuse."

Xeno,

I guess I meant "abuse" in the sense that I was using more and more benzos due to tolerance and to stave off withdrawal. That is, I was using way more, at my worst, than prescribed (I guess that IS the definition of abuse :) ). If I were to ever go back to benzos (which I won't), it wouldn't be to get high. Rather it would be a maintance dose to mitigate withdrawal. This is where the black and white bleed together, I suppose. I never used benzos recreationally, or to "feel good." I see what you and Colin are saying, and appreciate your imput to this post. I have people almost everyday telling me to go to a AA or NA meeting, but, for the life of me, I don't see how it could help with benzo recovery. Not at all.

[3e...]
I have people almost everyday telling me to go to a AA or NA meeting, but, for the life of me, I don't see how it could help with benzo recovery. Not at all.

Honestly, I don't see how it could either. I have been to AA. This was with a friend who pushed me to go, and I had a drinking problem. We said a chant, hugged, and read out of a pamphlet... and told stories, talked.. that's about it, and hugged at the end of the meetings.

It's good for Alcoholics, but I do not see how it would help Benzo w/d.

In detox it was pretty much mandatory we go to meetings. I didnt really mind it at all. The AA meeting were the ones I liked the least because they are very structured and formal. The NA meetings were really inspirational to me. These people for the most part are nonjudgemental, accapting of everyone and truley want to help people. In detox I was instructed to call PA, even though I was not abusing my meds. That was my only discharge instruction. It is almost impossible where I live to find PA, or talk to them on the phone. When I was feeling really scared and desperate because I didnt know what was happening to me I called NA and AA. I was agoraphobic so never went to meeting. Whenever I talked to NA or AA I found them very supportive. There is always someone there to pick up the phone. They dont experience the sams exact things we do, but they do listen. Opiate wd experiences a lot of the same things we do. Some of the same physical sensations like muscle crampings, fog, paresthesias, neuropathies and many many more. They can give helpful tips on how to deal with sx in a drug free way. I would love to meet a real people in person going through benzo stuff but there just arent many out there. I believe there is a BA in Los Angeles- but they dont answer their messages. Untill there is more benzo help I think NA may be helpful for some people. I myself dont get caught up in the abuse label. I dont wish to judge people. I think we can learn from all kinds of different people and their experiences.