Benzos featured on SiriusXM April 10

[Ma...]

I don't have time to listen to them.  I'm sure they didn't mention anything about protracted w/d or possible permanent damage from benzo's.  They won't go there because of Big Pharma liability issues.

I don't have time to listen to them.  I'm sure they didn't mention anything about protracted w/d or possible permanent damage from benzo's.  They won't go there because of Big Pharma liability issues.

Becks they did talk about those things I just listened to them.  I was afraid to listen but glad I did.

Becks...Carrie Silvernail was interviewed she shared her five and a half year battle with the benzo protracted withdrawal syndrome. It forced her into retirement, produced migrating body pain, and lead to intense phonophobia among a host of other symptoms.

It might help you to listen to the podcasts she is on the first one.

It blows my mind that every single ailment these medications can “help” they can also cause.

I know what you mean Shayna makes absolutely no sense!

Libertas, just now I was able to listen to both Parts I & II.

On a personal note, for long-term users, I take exception to parts of this sentence from the written description about the broadcast: "Instead, 10-15% of patients may experience a new, unexplained illness, leading to severe and disabling symptoms." Of the people I know, closer to 100% of long-term users experience severe and disabling symptoms upon discontinuation or tapering of their dosage. Furthermore, these symptoms or experiences are not new but have existed ever since benzodiazepines and barbiturates have been available for use. I do find this broadcast to be more accurate than others that I have listened to in describing and labeling the severe and disabling symptoms as "Benzodiazepine Injury Syndrome". I would recommend the broadcast to others and I extend my thanks to Manuelito for providing the heads up and others who have made listening to the broadcast possible.

I think this varies by individual. Plenty of members here have reported over the years that they have SLOWLY tapered off after MANY years of use and are feeling fine while others have noticed “problems.”

We are all individuals. That is my experience.

By the way, I rarely come to this site anymore, but just happened to check it today. Saw this comment and felt the need to say something. And I’ve been switched on generic clonazepam 7 times, so I’ll see how I do as I continue to taper ever so slowly.

On a personal note, for long-term users, I take exception to parts of this sentence from the written description about the broadcast: "Instead, 10-15% of patients may experience a new, unexplained illness, leading to severe and disabling symptoms." Of the people I know, closer to 100% of long-term users experience severe and disabling symptoms upon discontinuation or tapering of their dosage. Furthermore, these symptoms or experiences are not new but have existed ever since benzodiazepines and barbiturates have been available for use. I do find this broadcast to be more accurate than others that I have listened to in describing and labeling the severe and disabling symptoms as "Benzodiazepine Injury Syndrome". I would recommend the broadcast to others and I extend my thanks to Manuelito for providing the heads up and others who have made listening to the broadcast possible.

I think this varies by individual. Plenty of members here have reported over the years that they have SLOWLY tapered off after MANY years of use and are feeling fine while others have noticed “problems.”

By the way, I rarely come to this site anymore, but just happened to check it today. Saw this comment and felt the need to say something. And I’ve been switched on generic clonazepam 7 times, so I’ll see how I do as I continue to taper ever so slowly.

Absolutely. And there are many people who don't have any issues at all. Those people are not represented here on BB, because it's only the people who have issues who come here. It's impossible to get a clear picture of the statistics, e.g. how many are fine when they stop taking benzos and how many aren't.

[34...]

Becks...Carrie Silvernail was interviewed she shared her five and a half year battle with the benzo protracted withdrawal syndrome. It forced her into retirement, produced migrating body pain, and lead to intense phonophobia among a host of other symptoms.

Carrie is so inspiring!

She's still an active member on here, maybe she's more on the other board though, as she's off.

Carrie is so inspiring!

She's still an active member on here, maybe she's more on the other board though, as she's off.

Winniedog...really I didn't know she was on BB...very cool.

Absolutely. And there are many people who don't have any issues at all. Those people are not represented here on BB, because it's only the people who have issues who come here. It's impossible to get a clear picture of the statistics, e.g. how many are fine when they stop taking benzos and how many aren't.

Lapis, do you have credible, documented, scientific evidence for the bolded statement you made? If so, I would like to review it. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Specifically, I'm referring to long-term use of benzodiazepines eg. months & years of use

Some of us get worse over time and not better.  They didn't talk about that.

Becksblue, I'm uncertain if you mean some of us get worse and not better after w/d & cessation or worse and not better for staying on. I suppose it can work both ways. Personally, I believe I would feel worse and not be able to perform as well as I do if I w/d & cease use (I've done both). That is why I prefer to stick with the devil that I know rather than to change or cease to use an Rx with which I am familiar. Yes, I experience tolerance and I take a prescribed dosage which maintains my present status which for me, is a better case scenario than to venture further into unknown pharmaceutical territories or the lack thereof. I do not worry about having medical procedures performed nor taking prescribed medications to facilitate those procedures. I've had many surgeries, wounds and traumas in my life and I'm familiar with the procedures and medications used to treat them. For instance, very recently I had a root canal performed, a new crown fitted and installed, along with other procedures that should improve the performance and appearance of my teeth, gums and the bone material which hold them all together. Nitrous Oxide, numbing agents, antibiotics and whitening agents were and are being utilized. I had absolutely no pain and I don't feel self conscious about flashing a toothy smile again. Those white pearly teeth are already improving my social life .. I love it! I've been on benzodiazepines all of my adult life and I intend to continue that protocol indefinitely. I wish the program addressed that issue better than it did. 

A few of us on this forum got off the benzo's and continue to get worse as the years go on.  I've pm'd with some of them.  I've been off since 2012 and keep getting worse each month. 

Becksblue, I'm uncertain if you mean some of us get worse and not better after w/d & cessation or worse and not better for staying on. I suppose it can work both ways. Personally, I believe I would feel worse and not be able to perform as well as I do if I w/d & cease use (I've done both). That is why I prefer to stick with the devil that I know rather than to change or cease to use an Rx with which I am familiar. Yes, I experience tolerance and I take a prescribed dosage which maintains my present status which for me, is a better case scenario than to venture further into unknown pharmaceutical territories or the lack thereof. I do not worry about having medical procedures performed nor taking prescribed medications to facilitate those procedures. I've had many surgeries, wounds and traumas in my life and I'm familiar with the procedures and medications used to treat them. For instance, very recently I had a root canal performed, a new crown fitted and installed, along with other procedures that should improve the performance and appearance of my teeth, gums and the bone material which hold them all together. Nitrous Oxide, numbing agents, antibiotics and whitening agents were and are being utilized. I had absolutely no pain and I don't feel self conscious about flashing a toothy smile again. Those white pearly teeth are already improving my social life .. I love it! I've been on benzodiazepines all of my adult life and I intend to continue that protocol indefinitely. I wish the program addressed that issue better than it did.

Why would the program need to address this issue, there are millions of people happily taking benzodiazepines with no problem whatsoever, this program and this forum is for those who are experiencing difficulty taking, tapering and recovering from them. 

Why would the program need to address this issue, there are millions of people happily taking benzodiazepines with no problem whatsoever, this program and this forum is for those who are experiencing difficulty taking, tapering and recovering from them.

To put it simply, peer pressure. Doctors & their assistants are receiving peer pressure to take their long-use patients off of benzodiazepines, long-use patients are receiving peer pressure to take themselves off benzodiazepines, so called treatment centers exert peer pressure on long-use patients to take them off (rip them off?), some on-line support groups exert pressure on long-term benzodiazepine patients to get off of them and increased regulations exert pressure on long-use patients to take them off of them; often all to the mental and physical detriment of the patients. I believe informed consent should be utilized before placing someone on long-term use but equally, I believe full informed consent should be utilized by all of the above mentioned peer pressure groups, and likely many more, before trying to convince long-use patients to stop their treatment protocols.

To put it simply, peer pressure. Doctors & their assistants are receiving peer pressure to take their long-use patients off of benzodiazepines, long-use patients are receiving peer pressure to take themselves off benzodiazepines, so called treatment centers exert peer pressure on long-use patients to take them off (rip them off?), some on-line support groups exert pressure on long-term benzodiazepine patients to get off of them and increased regulations exert pressure on long-use patients to take them off of them; often all to the mental and physical detriment of the patients. I believe informed consent should be utilized before placing someone on long-term use but equally, I believe full informed consent should be utilized by all of the above mentioned peer pressure groups, and likely many more, before trying to convince long-use patients to stop their treatment protocols.

Frankly I do not see this as 'peer pressure'.  What I see is the advent of much information finally coming to light that speaks to the detrimental long term effects of benzo usage.  For years, benzos have been prescribed in a cavalier manner and there still remains denial by some in the medical profession about the existence of withdrawal and it's related symptoms.

BB has never taken a stance to pressure anyone to stop taking benzos.  What you see here is people who are/have suffered from the effects of taking benzos and their withdrawal. It's normal for someone to care enough about their fellow buddies that they would share their experiences about benzos and the complications from their use.

Am I pressuring someone to stop taking benzos when I tell them that I was terribly ill with tolerance, unknowingly, for a long period of time.  Am I pressuring someone when I tell them the drug was making me sick?  No, this is my reality and I share it to let others know they are not alone if they feel the same.

Frankly I do not see this as 'peer pressure'.  What I see is the advent of much information finally coming to light that speaks to the detrimental long term effects of benzo usage.  For years, benzos have been prescribed in a cavalier manner and there still remains denial by some in the medical profession about the existence of withdrawal and it's related symptoms.

BB has never taken a stance to pressure anyone to stop taking benzos.  What you see here is people who are/have suffered from the effects of taking benzos and their withdrawal. It's normal for someone to care enough about their fellow buddies that they would share their experiences about benzos and the complications from their use.

Am I pressuring someone to stop taking benzos when I tell them that I was terribly ill with tolerance, unknowingly, for a long period of time.  Am I pressuring someone when I tell them the drug was making me sick?  No, this is my reality and I share it to let others know they are not alone if they feel the same.

I do not wish to belabor or start an argument about this point but, having been a frequent visitor to BB for over two years, rarely have I seen BB moderators or members discourage others from taking the stance to pressure others to stop taking benzos. In short, I have seen an abundance of peer pressure on this BB site to persuade others to continue w/d & cessation even when that may be detrimental to their health and the health of others.