Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Regarding the Removed Threads Referencing Baylissa Frederick

[Co...]

Well.

If any forum members are unsure of what the phrase ‘Make A Mountain Out Of A Molehill’ means... then this announcement is exactly that.

Baylissa Frederick is one of the most amazing counsellor come therapists I have ever come across in my entire life, never mind just in the ‘Benzo Community’.

She’s also human, and has every right to defend attempts at defaming her character and/or directly correct misinformation written in print about her... anywhere... and including within this internet forum.

That is all she did here... nothing more... and she did it well.

Baylissa also did the same with the ‘Daily Mail’ newspaper in a court of law too, and in May of 2014 won her case against them... so please don’t think she’s some kind of pushover come charlatan, because she’s far from it.

Her character was/is clearly being defamed (or ‘slated off’, as we say here in Scotland) on many threads within the Benzobuddies forum here... I’ve fully read them all tonight.

It’s quite frankly seriously unacceptable on many levels.

Considering how many people she directly (and indirectly) keeps alive in the ‘Benzo Community’ on a near ‘minute by minute’ basis - every single day - I find this completely unnecessary negative behaviour towards her quite disturbing.

In short, she is being bullied... and it’s by no means kind.

Benzobuddies contributed greatly to saving my life many years ago when I was in the thick of my journey through ‘BWS’ and I am very grateful for that.

I’m also very grateful for Baylissa too, who carried me through the entire process - daily - for years... and for no financial payment whatsoever.

Nil.

Now, years later, in comparison to other counsellors and therapists out there, Baylissa’s fees are considerably less, and also let’s remember just how many counsellors/therapists (of which there are tens of thousands in the U.K. alone) have - real - and direct experience of ‘Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome’ themselves, and really understand it?

The answer is, about a handful do.

In fact most counsellors and therapists (amongst almost the entire medical profession) don’t even believe that ‘BWS’ even exists, and definitely not at the levels of the severely painful intensity it can get to... that’s for sure.

Baylissa Frederick is a massive positive within the ‘Benzo Community’... and that’s all there is to it.

We all have our part to play.

Anyways, I digress...

It was actually Professor Heather Ashton herself who directly encouraged/told Baylissa that she had a right as a counsellor come therapist to earn a living too... and that Baylissa was adequately qualified to do so in the field of ‘Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome’.

There is no testimonial in the entire world that is better than that.

None.

Baylissa Frederick is the kindest most generous person I have ever met in my entire life... and I have directly met her.

It’s saddening for me to hear (and now see) that the Benzobuddies ‘Admin Team’ (lead by Colin here) doesn’t really support a person who is in actual fact a pillar of the ‘BWS’ community.

So if they can’t support dear Baylissa here... then...

I will.

I don't like it when people quote someone else's post, and then just simply say, "I agree, well said.....", because it doesn't really add anything substantive.  So why am I myself doing it now?  Because I can't resist.  This is the single most important, accurate, inspirational, and just bloody brilliant posts I have read on this topic.  You've said everything I've wanted to say, in exactly the way I would like to have said it.  All those opposed, I thank you for your indulgence.

-Jeff

^^^^^ ... No probs’ Jeff... gotta’ do the right thing...  :thumbsup:

And thank you...  :)

Your “she” is actually a he.

JayTay is a she. Colin identified her as a she in the restored thread announcement, and I have communicated with her directly.

JayTay is a she. Colin identified her as a she in the restored thread announcement, and I have communicated with her directly.

It's ok. He gets a lot of things wrong.

Yeah, cheap shot but hey, he keeps ignoring my direct questions so I took it.

Damn I thought we were cool now! What happened?  ;)

I was talking to Colin. I don't know who he's cool with but I do wish he would answer direct questions.

It's ok. He gets a lot of things wrong.

Yeah, cheap shot but hey, he keeps ignoring my direct questions so I took it.

You mean like here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=253625.msg3221753#msg3221753

And here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=253625.msg3221492#msg3221492

for example.

Colin doesn’t know everything.

JayTay0 is a he, you’ve been directly communicating with a male.

Hi Got to beat this.

I am curious: how did you know (before JayTay posted about this a few posts back) that he is indeed male with absolute certainty?

Hi Got to beat this.

I am curious: how did you know (before JayTay posted about this a few posts back) that he is indeed male with absolute certainty?

^^^^^ ... Because believe it or not Colin, outside the walls of this forum there is a massive ‘Benzo Community’ at work, milling away, on other internet-based platforms.

I’m involved in it all there... now that I’m 100% fully-healed (since the summer of 2013) I do my bit to look after vulnerable people in withdrawal who also need it, just like I once did.

I also always ‘do my homework’ before posting...

BB forum members post the exact same content elsewhere on occasion using the ‘copy & paste’ function... they also use the same ‘handwriting’ style every time too.

It’s not really hard to figure it out most of the time, and on this occasion half the community knows JayTay0’s profile elsewhere in the other ‘blue coloured’ support groups anyway.

Also... on very rare occasions there’s phone calls as well... people talk...  ;)

Hope that answers your question... which now brings me to mine...

I’m also “curious” as to when you’re going to address the other - much more - important subjects that I’ve brought up on this thread here?

We both know in the past you’ve been correct with the likes of the deceptive ‘Lee Hardy’ and ‘Sicko Basement Boy’... but on this occasion, you’re absolutely not, and especially regards what you have said in print about how the BB account username sign-up process was carried out in this case... nobody was deceptive.

You just don’t like Baylissa for some very odd reason.

It’s clouding your judgment.

Hi Got to beat this.

^^^^^ ... Because believe it or not Colin, outside the walls of this forum there is a massive ‘Benzo Community’ at work, milling away, on other internet-based platforms.

I’m involved in it all there... now that I’m 100% fully-healed (since the summer of 2013) I do my bit to look after vulnerable people in withdrawal who also need it, just like I once did.

BB forum members post the exact same content elsewhere on occasion using the ‘copy & paste’ function... they also use the same ‘handwriting’ style every time too.

It’s not really hard to figure it out most of the time, and on this occasion half the community knows JayTay0’s profile elsewhere in the other ‘blue coloured’ support groups anyway.

Also... on very rare occasions there’s phone calls as well... people talk...  ;)

I’m also “curious” as to when you’re going to address the other - much more - important subjects that I’ve brought up on this thread here?

We both know in the past you’ve been correct with the likes of the deceptive ‘Lee Hardy’ and ‘Sicko Basement Boy’... but on this occasion, you’re absolutely not, and especially regards what you have said in print about how the BB account username sign-up process was carried out in this case... nobody was deceptive.

I ask because there has been a breach of a member's personal data (the breach did not occur not at this forum). So, I am interested in the origins of any disclosure of personal data which is apparently not within the public domain.

Hi Got to beat this.

I ask because there has been a breach of a member's personal data (the breach did not occur not at this forum). So, I am interested in the origins of any disclosure of personal data which is apparently not within the public domain.

^^^^^ ... BB forum members ‘breach’ there own BB username data elsewhere all the time, Colin... it’s not uncommon.

In fact, I remember once seeing a new post in one of the ‘blue coloured’ support groups when I was an ‘Admin’ there in it, and it said “What’s Your BB Username?”

Turns out (after some investigation) that it was a naively innocent posting and not an intentional phishing one, but I chose to delete it anyway (a very rare occasion for me, nobody learns anything from deletions) as even before the new GDPR laws came in I knew the importance of such, and it was not the most of well thought-out posts that’s for sure... ;)

I educated the originating poster on such in private afterwards.

I’ve also seen the exact same post types in other ‘blue coloured’ support groups as well, many people commented there with their BB usernames... the posts also were not removed by those grouo’s ‘Admin Teams’.

Sadly any idiot can open a ‘blue coloured’ support group, a few of them aren’t run properly at all...  :-\

So yeah, like I’ve said... it’s not uncommon,it happens quite often, and just like it has on this occasion as well.

The exact reason why it’s common knowledge now is because the BB member in question ‘breached’ his own personal BB data to others, and a good while ago now.

Things just snowballed from there, nobody really is blame... this is an innocent ‘breach’.

It happens.

^^^^^ ... BB forum members ‘breach’ there own BB username data elsewhere all the time, Colin... it’s not uncommon.

In fact, I remember once seeing a new post in one of the ‘blue coloured’ support groups when I was an ‘Admin’ there in it, and it said “What’s Your BB Username?”

Turns out (after some investigation) that it was a naively innocent posting and not an intentional phishing one, but I chose to delete it anyway (a very rare occasion for me, nobody learns anything from deletions) as even before the new GDPR laws came in I knew the importance of such, and it was not the most of well thought-out posts that’s for sure... ;)

I’ve also seen the exact same post types in other ‘blue coloured’ support groups as well, many people commented there with their BB usernames... the posts also were not removed by those grouo’s ‘Admin Teams’.

Sadly any idiot can open a ‘blue coloured’ support group, a few of them aren’t run properly at all...  :-\

So yeah, like I’ve said... it’s not uncommon,it happens quite often, and just like it has on this occasion as well.

The exact reason why it’s common knowledge now is because the BB member in question ‘breached’ his own personal BB data to others, and a good while ago now.

Things just snowballed from there, nobody really is blame... this is an innocent ‘breach’.

It happens.

'Beaching your own personal data' is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. I am talking about people who divulge the personal data of others. I was just curious as to how you knew - with absolute certainty - that JayTay0 is a man. I am not aware of him stating this here before you stated it for him. And, unless I am mistaken, he does not use the same username elsewhere.

As I indicated, there are reasons for me asking the question; a member has had some of their personal data divulged. So, your comment piqued my interest.

Edit: fixed quote box.

It happens.

'Beaching your own personal data' is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. I am talking about people who divulge the personal data of others. I was just curious as to how you knew - with absolute certainty - that JayTay0 is a man. I am not aware of him stating this here before you stated it for him. And, unless I am mistaken, he does not use the same username elsewhere.

As I indicated, there are reasons for me asking the question; a member has had some of their personal data divulged. So, your comment piqued my interest.

^^^^^ ... Or perhaps you were just ‘fishing’... ;)

Lucky for me, I’ve seen it all...  :angel:

That’s part of ‘The Prize’... (as you already know)...  8)

Edit: fixed quote box.

~Colin.

Wow, this saddens me.  The fact that this forum, particularly  the owner, is trying to discredit someone who has helped thousands of people get through withdrawal could have huge implications, had I read this before knowing Baylissa I would have been put off, however she literally saved my life and I have no doubt countess others.

I began my benzo withdrawal in a Rehab facility where I was surrounded by medical professionals, therapists and counsellors, not one of them understood benzo withdrawal,  their insurance certainly didn't save me from getting further damaged by the antipsychotics I was prescribed and the suicidal thoughts I was having as a result of being completely misunderstood.  After leaving Rehab I came across Baylissa, this was so validating and her support helped me to navigate withdrawal in the most positive way.  Of course her approach is not for everyone but I am confident it helps far more than it doesn't.

This site too has been invaluable for me at times but I am noticing more and more how people are getting pounced upon by Colin and his admins if they dare to voice an opinion or air a concern which opposes their line of thinking.  In my mind it is unprofessional to enter into an argument with someone who most likely does not have the cognition to respond and is sick and vulnerable on a SUPPORT forum.

I would urge Colin to rethink the implications of what he is doing here.  Whatever way you wish to spin it , this is detrimental to Baylissa's character and the magnitude of good she has done within this community, are you prepared to pick up the crisis calls she deals with on a daily basis?

Let's get specific: from where did you learn of JayTay's gender? You stated this as absolute fact - why?

Wow, this saddens me.  The fact that this forum, particularly  the owner, is trying to discredit someone who has helped thousands of people get through withdrawal could have huge implications, had I read this before knowing Baylissa I would have been put off, however she literally saved my life and I have no doubt countess others.

I began my benzo withdrawal in a Rehab facility where I was surrounded by medical professionals, therapists and counsellors, not one of them understood benzo withdrawal,  their insurance certainly didn't save me from getting further damaged by the antipsychotics I was prescribed and the suicidal thoughts I was having as a result of being completely misunderstood.  After leaving Rehab I came across Baylissa, this was so validating and her support helped me to navigate withdrawal in the most positive way.  Of course her approach is not for everyone but I am confident it helps far more than it doesn't.

This site too has been invaluable for me at times but I am noticing more and more how people are getting pounced upon by Colin and his admins if they dare to voice an opinion or air a concern which opposes their line of thinking.  In my mind it is unprofessional to enter into an argument with someone who most likely does not have the cognition to respond and is sick and vulnerable on a SUPPORT forum.

I would urge Colin to rethink the implications of what he is doing here.  Whatever way you wish to spin it , this is detrimental to Baylissa's character and the magnitude of good she has done within this community, are you prepared to pick up the crisis calls she deals with on a daily basis?

You are attempting to defend the indefensible.

None of you have been banned from BB or had any sanctions placed upon you account. How do you think your dissent would go down at any other benzodiazepine withdrawal resource you utlilise?

Why is it OK for you and others to challenge me and my views but not for me to not challenge you and your views? Why do you think it is OK for a counsellor to track down her client to a forum and challenge him in public for expressing his opinion about her services?

We do not allow members to post conspiracy theories or dangerous fanciful nonsense. We surely do not catch it all, but when we do come across it, it is removed, stopped (locked), or challenged. What type of content is it that you wish to post which we do not allow?

[f7...]

Why do you think it is OK for a counsellor to track down her client to a forum and challenge him in public for expressing his opinion about her services?

This seemed to be the intent of Baylissa joining - to defend her practice by publicly refuting the opinions/experiences of JayTay.  She threw JayTay under the bus.  To do this in this manner was very unprofessional, IMHO. 

Let's get specific: from where did you learn of JayTay's gender? You stated this as absolute fact - why?

^^^^^ ... Ok, I’ll be “specific”... however, I though that I had already had been.

JayTay0 directly told people (via other internet platforms) what his BB username was.

It’s common knowledge, Colin.

Do you want me to post a ‘blue profile link’?

He’s also been defaming character (unwittingly) in ‘blue group’ settings for about a year now.

He posts the same (sometimes) ‘copy & pasted’ things there as he does in here.

In here there’s a BB username, out there there’s a ‘Bluebook’ username

That’s how people know... lots of people know (it doesn’t take an idiot to put two and two together.)

Some of those same people then told me... but I already knew anyway.

It’s no secret... and that’s how I know for “absolute fact”.

You really need to just stop this nonsense now Colin... BB and the ‘blue groups’’ are packed full of vulnerable people in withdrawal... your posts about Baylissa here are scaring them.

You’re fully-healed, and so am I... it doesn’t affect our healthy minds.

You’re directly responsible for allowing the posts to remain on the forum’s boards, which now makes you accountable for the above “scaring’ part.

None of this is anybody’s fault... it’s not even JayTay0’s fault either... he’s vulnerable too.

It’s almost like you’re enjoying this, Colin... like a ‘power-trip’ thing... I don’t remember you being this closed-minded and arrogant a decade ago.

Like I’ve already said, your current judgement is clouded.

Do the right thing.

Let it go.

^^^^^ ... Ok, I’ll be “specific”... however, I though that I had already had been.

JayTay0 directly told people (via other internet platforms) what his BB username was.

And this all I wanted to know. As I have already explained, I asked the question because of a breach of the personal data of a member in the past couple of days. Again, I stress, this breach did not occur on the BB forum.

For the record I am not a female lol. Not sure when that confusion started.

Which you finally corrected me on yesterday in PM, I had gone with Colin's reference because I assumed you had some sort of communication prior to the restoration of your thread and his post. You don't have your gender in your profile, so that may have led to the confusion. You never disclosed your gender, and I am not the only one who made the assumption based on Colin's post.

And this all I wanted to know. As I have already explained, I asked the question because of a breach of the personal data of a member in the past couple of days. Again, I stress, this breach did not occur on the BB forum.

^^^^^ ... Well thank heavens for that.

I think there are far more important things here to be worrying about though.

It seems though from your reluctance to answer any of my previous enquires, Colin, that you don’t at all seem to be interested in that part.

I find that extremely disappointing...  :-\

Still, I will be forever grateful for you, your Benzobuddies forum here, and your ‘Admin Team’ at the time when I was horrifically unwell & vulnerable (back in the day) all those years ago.

She knows who she is x

Best wishes...  :)

One cannot know what really happened between Baylissa Frederick and JayTayO.  For example, if a BB member has borderline personality disorder or some other psych problem, we simply cannot know.  We cannot know if their judgement is off.  What I do know is that JayTayO, whether he/she wanted to or not, has successfully sent the BB community into turmoil and perhaps unnecessarily compromised Federick’s practice.  Is there possibly a secondary gain for this member in doing this?  Finally, in a huff, worthy of a Facebook flounce, JayTayO announces they are leaving BB since he/she is unsatisfied with the fallout.  You see, the whole dispute really belonged on Yelp in the first place and would have spared Colin and others the hassle.  They have, I’m sure, better things to do with their time.

I have high regard the BB administrators – and Colin shows conscientiousness.  Their longtime hard work cannot be appreciated enough in creating the BB’s standards and maintaining the site.  Although, in my early days I’ve scratched my head about some of the moderating, I knew the forum was not the place to debate their decisions.  I was, after all, using and benefitting from their site.  But, as just a reminder to administrators, members are generally pretty sick and vulnerable by the time they arrive at BB and it is possible, just possible that in withdrawal a member may misinterpret the advice offered by BB members or even by a well-meaning therapist. I don’t like the practical canonization of any therapist but I also don’t like the ad nauseum vilification of one either.

And the advice Frederick gave JayTay o (which is only Jay Tay O’s account and unproven) was benign by comparison to the damaging counsel and prescriptions given by psychiatrists and docs.  So, let’s not lose sight of who is the true enemy and source of our misery.  And I just don’t think it’s Baylissa Frederick.  Yes, is seems a bit unorthodox that she would want to defend herself on the forum but no need to lose our minds about it. 

For purposes of transparency I want to tell everyone exactly what transpired.

I logged into the forum and saw a registrant waiting at the Account Approval Desk.  Typically when we see a ticket with what we suspect is a real name we'll hold up the approval process until we can reach out to them asking them to provide another username.  On occasion one of us won't check closely enough or we'll be in too big of a hurry and we'll have to contact them after we've let them into the forum to provide another name.  Unfortunately on this occasion this is what happened and I let her in without asking for another username while she was still in Account Approval. 

After I moved her post to the Introductions board I took a closer look at her username and saw it might have been a real name so I immediately moved her post to the Help Desk out of public view and sent her a PM letting her know my mistake.  I've read the name Baylissa on the forum before but until this week I didn't know her last name.  Here is her introductory post and my PM to her and her subsequent replies to the Help Desk.

Hi, I took clonazepam for almost eight years and had a difficult time. I joined the forum to read through posts and to understand better the current thinking.

Thank you

7.5 years clonazepam (Rivotril)

Ashton crossover to Valium

Hi there,

I approved your membership but didn't realize you've used your real name, at least it looks like your real name.  Anyway, we must ask you to choose a new username that isn't personally identifiable.

Please respond to me here with a new name and I'll change it for you, then move your introductory post out to the main forum so you can meet the other members.

I'm sorry, this isn't how we usually do things so I hope you'll get back to me soon.

Pamster

Hi Pam,

I am sorry for using my real name. Can you put GratefulBliss as my username. Thank you!

I'm sorry. It says I am not yet allowed to send messages and I can't reply to yours. So I apologize for the many messages. :)

At this point, 4:57:40 pm (PST), I changed her name to GratefulBliss, moved her post to introductions and replied to her there.

At 5:13:09 pm (PST), I received a PM from her addressed to me and Givemehope68.

Hi, Yes, it's me, Baylissa! I just came to respond to a post with some false accusations about me but it seems to have been removed and I just want to thank you both so very much. I know people say all sort of things and I don't mind, but this one was from someone I don't even recognise, who said she or he sent me a voicemail while in hospital (but I don't have voicemail) and all sorts of other terrible things that weren't true. I would never tell people not to take their medication. That's just ridiculous. And I don't tell people not to take supplements, I just don't tell them to take them unless they are deficient, because everyone reacts differently. It's on [sCOTT GAULKE]s website still but that's okay. I will have it removed. :)

Anyway, thanks to you both. Hoping you are well and sending my very best.

Much love,

Baylissa

I was confused by this PM because I'd only read a couple of posts about Baylissa on the forum, and not the one started by JayTay0.  What was also concerning is that she referred to me as if I'd somehow helped her when the only thing I'd done was work with her on a name change.  I have no idea what her relationship is with Givemehope68 but I don't have one with Baylissa, in fact I've never paid much attention to what's been said or written since I recovered in 2008.

When I logged in and saw the above PM from Baylissa I brought it to the attention of the moderator team  at 07:10:06 pm (PST)

Baylissa then left this message at the Help Desk

Hi Pam, GiveMeHope, and other moderators,

I am writing just to say "Thank you" so much for removing the defamatory posts from the forum. I know I am not the right fit for everyone and that some people may dislike me, and that's okay. It's just heartbreaking sometimes to read false information and to be lied on.

Also, because of my career and the fact that I am insured to remove defamatory statements, I would have had to persist in getting them deleted. (I have to do this from time to time - Facebook groups, etc. - not a lot but every now and then someone loses it and blames me). You've helped me greatly and I just wanted to let you know I appreciate it very much.

Thanks for the amazing work you do here and for saving so many lives.

Sending much love and gratitude, Baylissa

This message was confusing to me because Givemehope68 is not and has never been a part of the BenzoBuddies team, in fact I'm not sure how Givemehope68 came to be so involved in this situation but I didn't ask either Baylissa or Givemehope68.

At 6:20:20 pm (PST) she posted to JayTay0's thread.

On March 26 after much discussion with the moderators and administrators I alerted Colin to what had been happening because her message at the Help Desk appeared to be threatening. "because of my career and the fact that I am insured to remove defamatory statements, I would have had to persist in getting them deleted."

Hi Colin, we've had some activity you should be aware of, in a nutshell the members started talking about Baylissa but one member found fault with her methods.  Apparently another one of our members contacted her and she joined to refute the claims the member was making.  We've pulled all of the threads talking about her from the forum and have been in discussion about how to resolve the situation.

Colin then had to digest pages and pages of posts both on the open forum and in the team rooms.

On March 30 Colin asked the admin team about the name change, he'd known nothing about it until then, I hadn't thought to tell him because I didn't think it was important, obviously I was wrong.  It was then that I told him about it, well after his initial announcement.

My error was not telling him about the name change but I honestly couldn't remember the username she'd used and didn't think it was important since she didn't state her purpose for being here.  I regret this because I've put Colin in the position of possibly having to issue a retraction for my mistake, I'm very sorry for this but he's a kind person and has done his best to assure me I'm not to blame.

All of this could have avoided if she'd only stated her purpose for joining in her introductory statement or in the two subsequent messages she left at the help desk before being approved.  I would have put her on hold and contacted the team so we discuss it but she didn't do this.

For a couple of days now I've wanted to let our members know my role in this situation and I've received the go ahead from the team to do this.  I respect their judgement and hope I won't be vilified my for part in this situation but I accept responsibility for my actions and I believe its important to be honest and forthcoming in our communications.

Pamster

Although there is no legal requirement to do so, but given that Frederick practices independently, I would have expected that she was registered with one of the national professional organisations. I have checked the databases of both BACP and UKCP; Baylissa Frederick appears in neither. I have also checked her 'About Me' page at her website - she references no professional affiliation, supervision, or any oversight of her practice.

And, most importantly, the new rules expressly disallow member recommendations for counsellors who are not registered with a professional body, irrespective of their personal qualifications and/or experience.

Early in my withdrawal, I met with two licensed professional counsellors.  Both are recognized as being quite eminent in the Chicago area.  It soon became evident that neither of them was at all familiar with benzodiazepine withdrawal, and the burden was entirely on me to educate them, and ultimately, convince them of how severe and lengthy a benzo injury can be.  After five or six appointments with each, I realized it was doing me more harm than good to see them. 

Since then, I have counseled (long distance), with three people who basically call themselves benzo/psych med withdrawal coaches (Baylissa and two others). All three of these coaches have been able to offer tremendous insight into this problem, through their own lived experience and their ability to share anecdotal evidence from having counseled hundreds or thousands of other patients suffering the same fate.  Needless to say, sessions with these people are infinitely more helpful than the ones I had with those "eminent" mental health professionals in Chicago.  For someone seeking help in the virtually unknown area of psych med withdrawal, knowledge and experience are far more important than official credentials and professional affiliations.  After all, the doctor who prescribed me these meds for decades has more letters of credential after his name than both counsellors combined.

-Jeff 

I suggest that you read the BACP Ethical Framework document I linked in my opening post. Then read more at their website. It is patently dangerous for someone to act as a counsellor or therapist without being suitably qualified. I also suggest that this is true if there is no oversight/supervision of their practice (even if they hold paper qualifications). Without such safeguards, there is nothing protecting their clients when things go wrong.

I write this from a position of some knowledge on the subject. Many years ago I received some training in councelling, with real supervised practice. I am nowhere near well enough trained to offer counselling myself, but educated and experienced enough to understand that counselling and psychotherapy are potentially very dangerous when practiced by the unqualified or those without suitable safeguards in place.

A further thought: always ask for proof of their professional indemnity insurance. No genuine practitioner would be without it. But insurance is not enough in of itself. Proper supervision and an independent method of recourse/complaint are vital too.

Baylissa used to be a member of BACP until a year or two ago.

Either she left or there were complaints and she was refused membership. Perhaps she will enlighten us.

The reason I know this is because at some point I had decided to formally complain about her because of the way she was behaving with clients but found out she was no longer registered. 

Although there is no legal requirement to do so, but given that Frederick practices independently, I would have expected that she was registered with one of the national professional organisations. I have checked the databases of both BACP and UKCP; Baylissa Frederick appears in neither. I have also checked her 'About Me' page at her website - she references no professional affiliation, supervision, or any oversight of her practice.

And, most importantly, the new rules expressly disallow member recommendations for counsellors who are not registered with a professional body, irrespective of their personal qualifications and/or experience.

Early in my withdrawal, I met with two licensed professional counsellors.  Both are recognized as being quite eminent in the Chicago area.  It soon became evident that neither of them was at all familiar with benzodiazepine withdrawal, and the burden was entirely on me to educate them, and ultimately, convince them of how severe and lengthy a benzo injury can be.  After five or six appointments with each, I realized it was doing me more harm than good to see them. 

Since then, I have counseled (long distance), with three people who basically call themselves benzo/psych med withdrawal coaches (Baylissa and two others). All three of these coaches have been able to offer tremendous insight into this problem, through their own lived experience and their ability to share anecdotal evidence from having counseled hundreds or thousands of other patients suffering the same fate.  Needless to say, sessions with these people are infinitely more helpful than the ones I had with those "eminent" mental health professionals in Chicago.  For someone seeking help in the virtually unknown area of psych med withdrawal, knowledge and experience are far more important than official credentials and professional affiliations.  After all, the doctor who prescribed me these meds for decades has more letters of credential after his name than both counsellors combined.

-Jeff 

I suggest that you read the BACP Ethical Framework document I linked in my opening post. Then read more at their website. It is patently dangerous for someone to act as a counsellor or therapist without being suitably qualified. I also suggest that this is true if there is no oversight/supervision of their practice (even if they hold paper qualifications). Without such safeguards, there is nothing protecting their clients when things go wrong.

I write this from a position of some knowledge on the subject. Many years ago I received some training in councelling, with real supervised practice. I am nowhere near well enough trained to offer counselling myself, but educated and experienced enough to understand that counselling and psychotherapy are potentially very dangerous when practiced by the unqualified or those without suitable safeguards in place.

A further thought: always ask for proof of their professional indemnity insurance. No genuine practitioner would be without it. But insurance is not enough in of itself. Proper supervision and an independent method of recourse/complaint are vital too.

Either she left or there were complaints and she was refused membership. Perhaps she will enlighten us.

Baylissa left the BACP of her own accord.

There was a total of zero complaints against her.

She left because of the ongoing bullying and trolling in the ‘Benzo Community’.

Now... it must take some kind of confused individual to complain about the most honest, kind, and ethical individual I have ever come across in my entire life.

Baylissa is in the community saving lives all day, every day... most of whom she gives her services for free... she barely covers her operating costs financially.

So... to all those who have some kind of unnecessary ‘beef’ with Baylissa... what are you doing to save lives in the ‘Benzo Community’?

-Jeff 

Baylissa left the BACP of her own accord.

There was a total of zero complaints against her.

She left because of the ongoing bullying and trolling in the ‘Benzo Community’.

Now... it must take some kind of confused individual to complain about the most honest, kind, an ethical individual I have ever come across in my entire life.

Baylissa is in the community saving lives all day, every day... most of whom she gives her services for free... she barely covers her operating costs financially.

So... to all those who have some kind of unnecessary ‘beef’ with Baylissa... what are you doing to save lives in the ‘Benzo Community’?

The bolded statement is rude and uncalled for.  It is also in violation of forum policy:

Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

pianogirl

[16...]