Knee replacement surgery

[ni...]

I'm here and have put a week behind me post knee replacement surgery.

It went quite okay.  In my imagination, I could not fathom how badly I was going to feel, which is a good thing.

My sleep was fine for a couple of days after the surgery, then back to the "new normal."

Each day gets better and better. I am now sometimes putting the walker aside when I have furniture close by.

Next week the therapist will show me how to use a cane.

As for pain, I was sent home on oxycodone along with Tylenol. I was also given Eliquis, and some senokot.

I was given some reason which I do not recall why, I was not given Hydromorphone.

A few days ago, I went from 10mg to 5 of oxycodone in my pain regiment schedule. My goal is to be off of this drug by the end of next week. I'm still in pain, but it is so much less.

Thanks for all of your comments and support. You helped me more than you will know.

Hey NG!

Sorry to butt into the convo here but I am very intrigued to your knee issues. Did they begin during taper? Did you have them before benzo use?

I have not had issues with my knees, and like you always been slim. I have recently been in agony with them crunching and clicking, even getting down the stairs is torture. They have put me in for an emergency MRI.

It began in the one, and now the other is getting just as bad.

What was your diagnosis?

I am only 27 and I feel like my body is dropping apart.

AJ xx

Hi howtocope, you have been through so much. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. It all just takes time.

As for your knees, hopefully the MRI will give you a true picture of what is going on. 

My diagnosis was osteoarthritis with bone on bone. It was severe in both knees.  I was shocked.

This began a a year and a half ago with leg/knee stiffness. 

I started tapering off of clonazepam in early spring of 2017 and finished the taper in November of 2017.

There were no signs of knee problems then.

During my taper and recovery, I had no knee problems.  The doctor I saw when the knee problems began said I had to sleep as my body can't heal if I don't.

Maybe she is right and the lack of sleep for the last 4-5 years had taken a toll on my knees. 

Cause and effect.

I hope you get some good news from the MRI.

Keep in touch.

NG

• 2 weeks later...

Today I am 17 days post knee surgery recovery. I am so ready for this to be over with.

Every day is a step forward, literally.  My pain is less, but now and then it flares up. I tried tapering off the pain meds last week, but it was too soon.

This week, I will just keep extending the time between the meds, again, but not rush stopping.

At least when I stopped for 1.5 days and went back on, I was able to get some reasonable sleep once I re-started.

Now the sleep has mostly stopped. Our brains are so fickle.

Today a winter snow storm is moving in and I also have a follow up appointment with the surgeon.  My son will take me since I have not been released to drive.

NG

I'm over three weeks out post knee surgery. Everything is going okay.

I stopped taking oxycodone last Thursday and along with that, stopped getting any sleep. I was down to a few hours, but that also went away.

Last night I listened to an 8 hour hypnosis on Youtube and slept maybe a couple of hours, which I am glad for.

Tomorrow I go to an in facility for knee physical therapy. I hope it goes well and my husband does okay home alone for 1.5 hours.

I was put on a muscle relaxant for leg spasms. The first one caused bad headaches and the second one didn't help the spasms and made me feel lifeless and incredibly tired. I could barely stand up.  I'll just wait for the spasms to resolve on their own.

NG