Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is there anything I can take while in w/d help depression?

[ch...]

Hi guys

I have woke this morning feeling so low it's untrue. I feel worse now than I did before I went on all these tables 6 weeks ago :(

Please can someone help me, anything I can take? Reassure me that this will pass?

:-[

Hi Chiggylit,

I can assure you that this will indeed pass, it is just a question of when.  I am now nine months benzo free and it wasn't until around the 5 month mark that the awful dark depression that had haunted me ever since taking a benzo had gone away completely.  I did have lots of great windows during my first few months off too, but at nine months off, that dreadful depression has totally gone.

There are many natural remedies that are on offer to help deal with depression, but when your body is healing from benzo use it is very difficult to find any supplement or medication that will actually help.  I tried lots of things with no luck whatsoever.  Time is the one true healer.  If you really are suffering and feel that you are unable to cope or function, you might consider talking to a professional.  But try to remember that this depression is a direct result of the drug withdrawals; it is a chemical depression, and not you.

• 2 weeks later...
[49...]

Time heals it..

I don't know of any magical formula other than time.

Time is the one true healer.

Not overlapping Bev, but true.. it will get better with time.

S#

The original poster mentions being on tablets 6 weeks...this should mean that far less depression due to withdrawal will occur than with people who have been taking pills for years.  Hopefully it will resolve pretty quickly if abstinence from benzodiazepines can be maintained.  If there was still underlying depression however then maybe something else would be needed...but just remember that withdrawals can also occur with antidepressants!  Some say that mirtazapine (Remeron) has fewer problems with rebound symptoms upon discontinuation, some also say it can be effective when other ADs aren't.  Bupropion (Wellbutrin) works differently to SSRIs and tricyclics so could also be useful, but it may have withdrawal problems too.  Natural remedies could help too but it's unknown whether some of those could also produce rebound.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have woke this morning feeling so low it's untrue. I feel worse now than I did before I went on all these tables 6 weeks ago :(

Please can someone help me, anything I can take? Reassure me that this will pass?

:-[

I believe it will pass. Exercise might help. I have to remember I put my system through Hell and, as I have read  on here, benzo withdrawl doesn't go away over night. My thoughts for a safe a quick recovery go out to you.