Does anyone know someone personally who has/had Covid 19?

[Mi...]

I didn't want to post this on the main forum as it will trigger some individuals, but you've blocked PMs (at least mine).  A good friend (one of my weekly golfing buddies) died from COVID-related factors.  He had a heart attack while in an induced coma while fighting the virus.  He passed on Easter Eve.  I think he was 53.  Worked with NASA.  No history of heart problems to my knowledge.

His wife, her mother and her brother were also infected.  Two required hospitalization/ventilation.  The brother was in ICU for well over a month, and it'll take many months of rehabilitation before he can work again.  I also occasionally played golf with the brother.  Good guy.  Worked for the power company.  I hope he can recover.

I've never met the mother, so I only know/knew three of these four individuals.  That's three too many.

I don’t want to sound rude/ but the likelihood of this happening to a family is like so so so small. If this were a common thing, no one would be ever leaving their house. The world is not falling apart. Most people don’t even know they have it. I’m really sorry for those people. That’s awful. But we can’t create unnecessary fear here either

I don't believe that Badsocref's post was fear mongering. While there are asymptomatic people and those with mild cases, there are over 130,000 deaths from COVID in the US alone.

I don't either.

I have a cousin who works in a hospital. He has seen what this virus can do to ppl.

I'm so sorry, badsocref!

A big chunk of my family caught the COVID, luckily they all had mild strains. Only one had to go to the ICU, but he made it out and is in another less intensive unit and is stable, thank God. Many of my co-workers are getting sick and one had it and said it felt like a super flu. He told me of how lethargic and fatigued it made him that when he tried to get out of bed, he just felt so weak he let himself just collapse to the floor and didn't get up for an hour. He just laid there til he built some strength to get up.

So this affects people different ways. It's no joke, and you never know what hand you might get, but the stats are still in your favor since most cases are relatively mild.

I am so sorry for your family and your coworker!

It's getting extremely challenging now with so many ppl test positive here in us and California in particular and likely many more asymptomatic still no one in my area is wearing masks around the community and the blocks the only place I can take a walk.

For ppl who has strong immuneaty, it would probably just a mild case but for ppl with compromised immue system, the sottoundings are very unsafe even with extreme caution giving how contagious the virus is.

I don't want to scare ppl with details from my own covid experience, but hope you all take extreme caution. For some, it won't be like someone claimed just a cold for a few weeks. Bwd is the most horrodous but usually not life threatening, this one is.

I forgot to mention I got an antibody test about 10 days ago which came back positive. Hopefully i have some level of immunity. At least temporarily. But who knows. The only thing we know about this virus for sure is the uncertainty.

Another strange thing about it is it comes in waves. But the past flu and colds I’ve had  ramp up and peak and then decline. But this one came and went and came back again. Luckily it was mild overall but it definitely hits the lungs and respiratory system. I could feel the tightness and inflammation in my chest. I was a smoker and quit 7 years ago thank goodness. Can’t imagine what it would have been like if I still smoked. 

Thank God your case is mild. Evio. You are absolutely right about the uncertainty and unknown for this virus.

Heard from all about the waves and windows pattern just like bwd. It makes me wonder if it attacks the nerve system otherwise doesn't make sense.

Please keep up updated.

4mom

I forgot to mention I got an antibody test about 10 days ago which came back positive. Hopefully i have some level of immunity. At least temporarily. But who knows. The only thing we know about this virus for sure is the uncertainty.

Another strange thing about it is it comes in waves. But the past flu and colds I’ve had  ramp up and peak and then decline. But this one came and went and came back again. Luckily it was mild overall but it definitely hits the lungs and respiratory system. I could feel the tightness and inflammation in my chest. I was a smoker and quit 7 years ago thank goodness. Can’t imagine what it would have been like if I still smoked.

Evio,

Thank you  so very much for your reply. I am so glad you are doing well. May I ask please what medications they gave you for Covid? and of course please tell us, did any of them have any side effects that worsened your withdrawal? or set you back? or made any withdrawal symptoms return ? Or cause any bad symptoms or side effects in any way?

Hi Miss Fortitude!

My doctor prescribed albuteral inhaler. And wanted to give me Klonopin for the anxiety. He sent both scripts tot the pharmacy. But I didn’t pick up either one of them. Obviously I’ll never take a benzo again and I really didn’t need the inhaler as i was breathing ok. I bought a pulse ox thing to monitor my oxygen levels. I know if you go to the hospital they pump you so full of drugs for covid. Usually steroids, which I had a terrible reaction to a couple years back. But also possibly antibiotics, benzos, anti-nausea. All kinds of nasty stuff. Thankfully I was able to recover without the need for any medications or any hospital visits. My doctor highly recommended zinc and vitamin D. But I have a very healthy diet and i went in the sunlight everyday. So i didn’t take those either. I just got through it with a good diet, sunlight, and rest. I was worried my immune system was compromised from benzos and I would have a severe case but luckily my immune system did it’s thing and got me through it ok. I am very grateful it wasn’t worse. Still waiting on my dang smell to fully return! I have to hold things right up to my nose to be able to smell them.

[a3...]

Ev

Thank you for letting us know you tested positive and recovered from Covid.  Very important to be tested.    It's also important to take care of yourself.  Also if needed even more important to seek medical care as needed.  I  tested negative after being exposed to someone who tested positive.  Just continue to do what you can to stay safe.  Keep us updated.

B

Evio  thanks for sharing your experience with Covid.

Everyone continue to stay safe, wash hands, social distance, & wear masks when out in public.