Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Started AD, Feel Worse...Looking for support/advice please.

[Zu...]

I'm about 9 weeks off Ativan and I am having terrible depression (note: I was also depressed before the Ativan).  I decided to go on Zoloft since the depression was pretty serious.  Its been 11 days on the AD and I'm only taking 12.5 mg (as opposed to 25 or 50 since I'm super sensitive right now) , but I feel TERRIBLE.  Depression is worse, anxiety worse, fatigue worse, COMPLETE zombie. 

I don't know what to do.  I want to tough it out for 6 weeks, so that the drug can work, but I feel so terrible (and I'm only on 12.5 mg - 25mg or 50mg is considered starting therapeutic dose).  Has anyone felt like this when starting an AD w/ or without WD?  I can barely make dinner or function with daily activities. 

Trying to hang in there. . . 

Since your ativan taper was so fast, I would believe that your symptoms are primarily ativan withdrawal.  ADs can make WD symptoms a lot worse sadly, especially in the beginning.  That being said, everyone reacts differently during benzo withdrawal and some people actually do benefit from ADs.  Some find that they have to go through many ADs before they find the one that worked for them.  That starts the question as to whether it was the 5th AD they tried that gave them relief or if it was actually that their symptoms actually relieved themselves a bit due to the time it took to come to the 5th AD.

I remember back in 2004, Paxil sent me to the ER, Effexor almost did. Lexapro was the only one I tolerated and I think it worked. I was using benzos spordically back then so I don't know if I was in withdrawal or not.  I got a prescription for Lexapro this past Jan, but I was afraid to try it due to it making my anxiety worse initially. Through my research online and with doctors, I have found that Lexapro has the least side effects and is most tolerated. However, the general concensus among us benzo buddies is that drugs are rarely the answer.. but sometimes they do have their benefits if all other options fail.

Dr. Ashton does recommend those who get severe depression or anxiety during tapering, or post taper w/d to try an AD.  If diet, exercise, relaxation techniques don't work... and you don't see any improvement or get worse, I would ask your doctor about getting off Zoloft. If you don't feel any improvement after getting off Zoloft then I would ask about switching to a different AD.  

Otherwise the only real path to normalcy lies within the treatment option known as "time"... which can be the bitterest pill to swallow.. but has been the only one shown to be consistently effective in the treatment of benzo withdrawl.

I pray you get better. Please hang in there, you have lots of support here.  :hug:

Thank you, Crono.  I appreciate your advice and well wishes.  It's only been 2 weeks on the Zoloft (12.5mg) and I called my pdoc today --can't get in until next week Wed.

I feel like I'm dying - totally lifeless.  Did anyone else feel like this when starting an AD? 

• 2 weeks later...
I can verify that SSRI antidepressants like Zoloft can cause troublesome side effects initially, even with a low starting dose, but mine were mainly agitation and insomnia rather than a tired or zombied feeling.  I'm fairly sure I read that some people can be very sensitive to some ADs, and that lack of emotion and tiredness is a side effect of most drugs like Zoloft.  I think one or two of these drugs is even available in liquid form so maybe starting that way would be possible if you wanted to try it at an even lower starting dose; you could politely ask your doctor about the idea, without sounding like a doctor yourself of course!  Good luck.  If you are too unsuited to SSRI antidepressants there are other categories that your doctor could suggest.  L-Tryptophan is a natural way of increasing brain serotonin that is said to work well and St Johns Wort is supposed to help some people, partly by affecting serotonin.  Some doctors may suggest trying another SSRI drug as a first step, which may help in some cases even though I was personally unable to tolerate any drugs in that group.  Some people apparently do report different effects between the individual SSRIs.  Also if you end up trying a different class of antidepressant, keep in mind that some of them have strong antihistamine-caused sedation and possible anticholinergic effects as an initial side-effect that is supposed to go away after the person gets used to it (i.e within a few days or 1-2 weeks).

i'm so glad to read this info on a/ds'.  i have tried several in the past.  they didn't work.  after about 3 weeks of taking them i was severely sad.  i wasn't that sad when i started taking them so i would stop right away.  i had an appt. w/ pdoc to get a script for paxil.  i thought that since i'm not taking a benzo anymore that the ssri might have a different effect now.  i cancelled my appt.  i'll wait until i'm feeling like the benzos' have completely left my body.  i am having severe sadness now from the benzo w/d and i don't need to complicate it. i'm not against taking meds and i feel that the benzo did help me thru a really rough time.  i just felt like i had to stop taking them and it wasn't normal to take a pill to get me thru all of my trauma.  deep inside i felt like i had to do the work, no a pill, in recovering from the trauma.  it's so scary....my hands are shaking just writing it.  i am 12 days into a ct detox from xanax and i feel stronger and more confident not taking it.  i should trust my body more often.  the benzo wasn't haven't the same effect it did when i first starting taking it.  i knew that it was time to increase the dose but i don't want to be physically addicted.  every now and again i would stop taking them in the past just to make sure i wasn't getting physically addicted.  i'm so glad i did that.  it was like practice for the complete w/d.  i even think that most of the trauma and per-menopause (these are the reason i started using a benzo) are gone.  i still have pain i have to deal with but almost 2 years have passed and time does heal wounds.  maybe not heal but time makes it easier to deal with.  i guess i'm ready to deal with my own mind now.  i cancelled the appt. with the pdoc to get the paxil.  after reading these posts i think it's in my best interest to wait.  thanks for all the info.  i really appreciate it.  bb is the best.....

michele

Thanks for your replies.   Pdoc switched me from Zoloft to Pristiq (an AD that I was on before) about 1 week ago.  So far, better than the Zoloft  for me as far as side effects - just increased anxiety, tiredness, and increased difficulty in sleeping (racing thoughts).  Depression is better this week I think.   Trying to hang in there....  Hugs to all of you out there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for asking, Sigma.  It's only been 16 days on the Pristiq, but so far, MUCH better than the Zoloft.  Had increased anxiety, fatigue, mental looping, and some insomnia at first, but things are starting to level out.  Not crying my eyes out any more.  Here's hoping that things will continue to get better on it...

[9f...]

Thank you for asking, Sigma.  It's only been 16 days on the Pristiq, but so far, MUCH better than the Zoloft.  Had increased anxiety, fatigue, mental looping, and some insomnia at first, but things are starting to level out.  Not crying my eyes out any more.   Here's hoping that things will continue to get better on it...

Good to hear.

Hopefully things will get better.

S#

Just thought I would place an update on this thread:

I'm now on Week 3 of Pristiq and the depression is starting to lift.  :yippee:    The last week, I haven't felt like crying at all and things are just starting to feel lighter and brighter.   I'm not a fan of pill-popping, but I'm not a fan feeling like I want to slit my wrists, either.  Please note, that I was depressed and had ongoing generalized anxiety before the benzo.

Take care, everyone.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking, Sigma.  It's only been 16 days on the Pristiq, but so far, MUCH better than the Zoloft.  Had increased anxiety, fatigue, mental looping, and some insomnia at first, but things are starting to level out.  Not crying my eyes out any more.   Here's hoping that things will continue to get better on it...

I have had some experience with AD and undertand that these drugs take some time to work. I am very sorry to hear that you are feeling worse. Sometimes as Zugora said these things take time to "level out." Different AD meds work for different people so, if things don't get better you may want to consult with your doctor. I cannot give you medical advice on this matter. But, hope things work out for you. You have my support