Important Survey - Please Participate ×

is depression normal 5 month after last dose?

[of...]

hello everybody,

i just opened a post. For some reason it´s gone so i am opening a new one.

I am in a terrible depression. Only crying and feeling extremely desperate. I often have headaches and my back also hurts. But the worst of all is this state of depression i am in. Since about 4-5 weeks i have had some windows. But then the withdrawal seems to come back.

Can anyone tell me if this can still be a symptom of withdrawal after 5 month??

Thanks for reading and answering!!

Hi offofbenzo.  I sent you a PM regarding your other post, and I'm going to move this thread to the depression board ;)

I had severe depression at one point during my taper, so I understand how frustrating it can be. :( 

Depression is quite common for benzo withdrawal.  At 5 months out, you are still early on in your healing.  The school of thought is that it can take anywhere from 6-18 months to heal and start to feel normal again.  The good thing is that you are already 5 months away from your last dose, and that is something to celebrate! :yippee: 

Did you by any chance suffer from depression prior to benzos?  Have you been able to speak with your doctor about it?

I'm sure the headaches and back aches are not helping, either.  When I was depressed, I had incredible pain that did not seem to let up.

You might like to look around the depression board and see what has and has not worked for others.

I truly hope you find relief, soon. :hug:

Hello offofbenzo,

Please know that what you're feeling is a product of the drug withdrawal, not true depression, even though it would have you believe this.  This is a chemical reaction that will be gone when your brain finally heals from what the drug did to your brain.  Try to comfort yourself by minimizing what is happening, and trust that you will be free from this when you heal.  If you're truly afraid, make an appointment to see a Dr to discuss what your options are, you're not powerless, you have choices you can make which can help you.

For now though, reach out to people, let them know what you're feeling, how desperate you are and let them help you through this.  Look into support groups, or therapists, or even phone help lines, anything to be connected to others.  Do what you can to distract yourself, do you have a pet, can you perhaps volunteer at a local shelter walking dogs or cuddling with cats?  The best thing you can do for yourself is to take action, and keep moving. 

This will pass, I promise it will.

Thank you so much!!

It truly helps when someone responds like you did!

These times are so hard! The must threatening thought is "i am going mad!"!!!!!! Everything seams to be hopeless. Though i know that i used to be completely calm in the same situation. So it HAS TO BE the withdrawal! But how can i be sure???

And for how long will depression caused by withdrawal be with me???

I'm glad you posted, it's important that you know you're not alone, that we all understand the nightmare you're living through.  I felt the darkness you feel, it was so scary, I was afraid to be alone, so I'm glad you reached out.  When I healed, and even as I was healing the darkness grew lighter, so just know that what you're feeling right now will ease as time goes by. 

If you didn't feel these things before benzo's, they'll leave you as you heal.  This process attacks us on every level, emotionally, physically and mentally, we're left with none of the coping skills we've used throughout our lifetimes.  Read chapter 3 of the Ashton manual to see why you feel as you do, and gain validation that you're not going mad, it's there in black and white that what you feel is real.  Come to BenzoBuddies and talk to people who understand, this is why we're here.

Hi offofbenzo,

I wanted to let you know that I am at my 6 month off point and still dealing with some depression also. I seems that this is quite normal for w/d because I never had any before the benzo. It is lessening and I am hopeful that it will continue to with time. I am sorry that you are struggling right now with this but it will lift and you will feel better.

Thinking of you and sending you my best,

birdie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can't tell you if your depression is benzo related after six months. What I can tell you it's that I had just reinstated my dosage because I was not being able to deal with the depression. I was close to suicide. After reinstating the benzos in about a week the depression become bareable. As benzos don't act as antidepressant, I'm sure that it was from withdrawl. "Real" depression doesn't lift up like this.

So now I'm again emotionally blunted, back to the same nightmare. If you have managed to go 5 months, please try to keep going. Get some help, if you feel you need it, but stay way from the benzos. Benzo related or not the depression is real and you have to manage it somehow.

Hope you get well soon :)