Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Experiences with Antidepressants

[De...]

Hello,

I am sure a lot of you have seen me around the site the past few months, so I'll just be short and quick with my story. I'm 3 months benzo free, but I was only on them a couple of months. Since I have gotten off I went through the slew of withdrawl symptoms, and most have gone. However, now I just deal with anxiety every moment of every day, and lately I have been getting some serious depression...most the times it comes out of the blue and its enough to cause me concern. I have been thinking about getting on an Antidepressant, and hopeing someone of you could share with me if you are on one as well while going through this?

I feel like if I can get myself on one and it works, I can ride that out for a while until my gaba receptors recover, and then actually ween myself off the AD (i quit cold turkey on the clonazapam). Would this actually work?

I am concerned however of the problems that AD's come with, and can cause a whole mess of other problems. I took Paxil in the past, and my whole family takes Paxil, but after coming across a website dedicated to coming off of paxil, much like this site, I don't really want to get back on that. I have tried a couple antidepressants while taking the clonazapam, and didnt stay on them long enough due to side effects (that I now attribute to me taking too much clonazapam and running out and going into withdrawl). So I'm willing to try again. I wont try zoloft because it gave me terrible stomach issues and anxiety I"ve never experienced, but maybe Celexa, or Lexapro might be ok?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, and if you are currently on anything and if it helps. Also, would taking an SNRI be very bad for someone in benzo withdrawl? I assume it would, but hey, what do I know! lol. Thank you in advance

Hi, Defaluted26.

I've been on all but the very newest A/Ds with greatly varying results.  Right now I am on an SNRI (Wellbutrin) which I was put on prior to starting my taper off lorazepam. It was the right A/D for me but I think it would probably increase anxiety symptoms since it is stimulating. 

If Paxil worked for you before, please don't discount it just because of what you've read on the Internet.  You can find similar warnings about every A/D and for some people, they are true.  That is the biggest problem I found with the various A/Ds:  unpredictable side effects and no guarantee that after you suffer months of increaseing dosages they still might not work and you are back at square 1 only more of a mess.  I haven't done it yet, but A/Ds can and should be tapered off of.  That's my view anyway.  ;)

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with the benzo depression. It's a completely different beast then regular depression.  I got on welbutrin xl when I was tapering and it definately did help with the depression symptoms but initially it revved up my anxiety symptoms and took about 6 weeks to work.  If you do decide to go with welbutrin do not get the xl tablets *time release.  Post 6 mos. after my taper I decided to  taper off of the welbutrin and since they are time release tablets they cannot be split  so I had to do a CT off of them which did not help my withdrawl period at all.  Best of luck,  Ginia

If you guys would like something ironic, the psychiatrist who wrote me prescriptions for Klonopin won't prescribe paxil because he has had too many experience with people who can't get off of it.

the a/d's caused me problems.  but it is hard to know for sure it was the a/d because i was always on a benzo at the same time.  however, when i tapered off of lexapro while staying on klonopin at the same time i went through a tough w/d.  it was not nearly as bad as the benzo w/d but still bad enough.  i had horrific gastrointestinal issues for a month and of course, depression pretty bad as well.  my w/d from lexapro lasted a couple of months tops.  it is not uncommon to experience depression in benzo w/d even at 3 months off.  I definitely did.  I am 4 months off now and doing much better.  if you can, it might be worth your while to wait it out.  you might find that you don't need the a/d after all.  but listen to your own needs.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Haha that's really funny benzene. Ashleydana can I ask what your problems were with the antidepressants? The depression is better today, it was just a scary night..depression plus anxiety = very intense scary experience. I may look into a beta blocker or alpha blocker that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, I tried propranolol but that caused me depression.  I figure I can taper off this with less debilitating side effects than antidepressants. Maybe this would give relief until my gaba recovers and can handle coming off the med...not sure if that's how it works lol

Hi,

I would never take another drug that messed with my natural brain chemistry again, but I realize there are people that need these medications and they do save lives.

I agree with Beeper, if something worked for you in the past, don't discount it. There is so much trial and error that comes with AD's that if you know something works and you didn't have many bad side effects, you are ahead of the game.

TC

[ba...]

Hi there,

I may have to get on an Anti-Depressant myself. I tried Wellbutrin before, and it had this effect on my BP , I think. One that works for me was Celexa, it's a fairly new one. I'm not saying it works for everyone. Only thing is with Celexa, it burned my head up after taking it.. but it worked onset. Ellivil I have, but haven't tried it yet.

I think A/D's can be effective.. I'm not promoting them, but yes they have saved lives, yet they have destroyed lives, so it's hard to say. Lithium worked mor me a great deal, tho a mood stabilizer. I'm just telling you what worked for me, not trying to say "Get on it"... as everyone is different.

If it worked in the past for depression, chances are it may work again. To me Benzo depression is like that I experienced with Mania episodes. Note: I have Schizophrenia, so yes I have had mania, not fun, hyper, depressed.. it's like coming off a potent medicine itself without being on one.

I hope you well.

Keryn.

Keryn-

Yea I was thinking celexa as I tried this before but only stayed on it 3 days because it revved my anxiety. This was before I knew what was going on with withdrawl and that AD can cause anxiety initially. That's why I kind of want to try it again. But celexa is older, it was out before lexapro, perhaps you meant cymbalta? Anywho I think I have found the strength to keep doing this for a bit longer so no new meds for now..

Hi Defaulted26,

I experienced weekly depressive episodes while on the a/d.  When I first started taking lexapro, it started to work @ a month or so after i began taking it.  I felt pretty good and thought 'wow, this stuff really works'.  but then after a few months i started having these episodes of intense depression and feeling really horrible about myself.  I thought 'wow, i guess it is a good thing i am on the a/d because it would probably be a lot worse'.  well, eventually i started having the episodes every week instead of once or twice a month.  I also tried Paxil, wellbutrin, cymbalta, abilify, lithium... you name it, i tried it.  I just kept ending up back in the doc's office trying to figure out the right chemistry for me.  Now I am finding out that the right chemistry, is natural chemistry.  Plus, I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking weed.  One of my psychiatrists actually advocated using weed to help my depression.  Sometimes it did help and would allow me to go to class without freaking out.  But I got really tired of being high all the time.  And it is illegal.  And it is bad for you.  And...  it just isn't a good idea to smoke weed all the time.  And believe me, I defended it tooth and nail.  And then, it started to make my superanxious and paranoid when I started trying to taper off of everything.  Anyway, the a/d just isn't a good idea for me.  I know that it works for some people.  But I think it might be good for you to wait a little while.  It seriously could just be the benzo doing this to you.  For me, I have had enough of drugs of all kinds.  And I still have family members and even my doc who thinks that I may still need to take something.  But I know now that I don't need it or want any of it.  I would rather deal with any abnormalities may brain wants to throw at me than deal with the chemicals.  Just my 2 cents worth.  You do what is right for you.   :thumbsup:

So I've switched my thinking up a little bit here. I don't think im going to take an antidepressant anymore, my depression doesnt seem to be everyday to warrant risking further damage to my being. I think when it comes I can just deal with it, like a normal person. However, after poking around here in the search forumns and other websites, I think I have decided to try the beta blocker again. It seems it can help and is much less troublesome to taper from. And this time I would actually taper, not C/T! lol.

But I have one concern that perhaps others can maybe help with. If I decide to do the beta blocker, would this mean my gaba wont recover as quickly. Cause I mean, with the anxiety and heart palps, gaba has to work to calm it down, which means its forced to adapt i.e become more effective. If I take this stress away and my gaba doesnt have as much of a job to do, does that mean they won't recover as quickly? I'm not sure if my thinking is correct about that, just something I thought of.

So I've switched my thinking up a little bit here. I don't think im going to take an antidepressant anymore, my depression doesnt seem to be everyday to warrant risking further damage to my being. I think when it comes I can just deal with it, like a normal person. However, after poking around here in the search forumns and other websites, I think I have decided to try the beta blocker again. It seems it can help and is much less troublesome to taper from. And this time I would actually taper, not C/T! lol.

But I have one concern that perhaps others can maybe help with. If I decide to do the beta blocker, would this mean my gaba wont recover as quickly. Cause I mean, with the anxiety and heart palps, gaba has to work to calm it down, which means its forced to adapt i.e become more effective. If I take this stress away and my gaba doesnt have as much of a job to do, does that mean they won't recover as quickly? I'm not sure if my thinking is correct about that, just something I thought of.

I think you are overthinking this. The two drugs are unrelated. If a beta blocker helps you, I say go for it. They gave me insomnia and can cause erectile dysfunction so they weren't for me. I bet your gaba receptors will heal so long as you continue a taper or are not taking benzos.

Hey Defaulted26!  I am personally glad that you are holding off on the a/d.  :thumbsup:  but I know nothing about beta blockers.  I have put word in though that you are seeking advice on this.  I am sure others will come along soon to help you out.  Hang in there!  :smitten:

I'm pretty sure benzene is right and beta blockers don't interfere with GABA or GABA receptors.  We've had other members who took a beta blocker for high blood pressure while tapering and they didn't report any adverse effects.  You could try a forum search and maybe find some previous posts about it.

[ba...]

Keryn-

Yea I was thinking celexa as I tried this before but only stayed on it 3 days because it revved my anxiety. This was before I knew what was going on with withdrawl and that AD can cause anxiety initially. That's why I kind of want to try it again. But celexa is older, it was out before lexapro, perhaps you meant cymbalta? Anywho I think I have found the strength to keep doing this for a bit longer so no new meds for now..

It was celexa. I don't know when it came out, there's so many these days.

The celexa kinda helped, but it did rev up anxiety, tho calmed depression.

A double-edged sword "one"... I have never been on cymbalta.. I don't think.

Good that you're not trying any new meds.

Keryn.

Benzene-

I think you are right, I am definetly over thinking things. I have a doctors appt. tomorrow, I will keep the thread updated with how it goes and if I begin a new medication.

Benzene-

I think you are right, I am definetly over thinking things. I have a doctors appt. tomorrow, I will keep the thread updated with how it goes and if I begin a new medication.

Yes and remember the beta-blockers are cheap and if you don't like them, you stop taking them. The nice thing about them is that you take them on as needed basis. I have a relative with social anxiety who gave up benzos and found beta-blockers preferable. On top of it, she never has to deal with withdrawal.

Went to the doctor today, and he turned out to be like every other doctor and I was sort of disappointed. Soon as I mentioned the word anxiety (even though I said physical anxiety symptoms) he said "I would recommend Effexor" which from what I hear is the worst AD to get one/get off of. He wouldnt go along with my request for a beta blocker because my blood pressure was 100/70 and he didnt want to lower it further, which I can understand. So we decided on Buspar. I've read that this is basically a placebo for a lot of people, but it is not associated with bad side effects or a withdrawl syndrome so what the hell, can't hurt to try it. I also read that it can increase libido so if it even does just this, its a plus haha. We will see.

Went to the doctor today, and he turned out to be like every other doctor and I was sort of disappointed. Soon as I mentioned the word anxiety (even though I said physical anxiety symptoms) he said "I would recommend Effexor" which from what I hear is the worst AD to get one/get off of. He wouldnt go along with my request for a beta blocker because my blood pressure was 100/70 and he didnt want to lower it further, which I can understand. So we decided on Buspar. I've read that this is basically a placebo for a lot of people, but it is not associated with bad side effects or a withdrawl syndrome so what the hell, can't hurt to try it. I also read that it can increase libido so if it even does just this, its a plus haha. We will see.

I quote a P-doc who said he found Buspar effective in about 20% of anxiety patients. Maybe you will part of that 20%.

If you guys would like something ironic, the psychiatrist who wrote me prescriptions for Klonopin won't prescribe paxil because he has had too many experience with people who can't get off of it.

hah!

I would also like to know about anyone else's experience with ADs during w/d.   Having a really hard time and just found out that we are moving out of state in 4 months - freaking out about how I'm going to handle this.   I'm  thinking about going back on an anti-depressant but I'm really scared - just got off of one right before Ativan taper.  I have a history of anxiety and bouts of depression, but never this bad.  I see my p-doc this week.  

If an AD helped you during W/D, how did it help?  (ie. less depression?, more motivation?  less anxiety?  less looping thoughts?).   I know that it will rev up symptoms it first.  Thanks - your experiences would be helpful.

Buster is so far kind of helping, its helping with my anxiety but I feel tired and sort of blah..its only been 3 days though so I'm hoping it goes away. AD make me nervous, but if you can't deal then in my opinion try it..but really try to stick it out if you can as it does get better. ok at 3 months out